What computer are you running? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

What computer are you running?

My poor, decrepid personal laptop is about 7 years old and runs XP. It keeps chuggin' just fine for my needs.

I5-750
4gb ram
HD5770

Reactions: Jexocuha
Just built my computer about a month ago.
-Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
-AMD Phenom II 1090t x6
-16gb ddr3 1333mhz ram
-Radeon 4850 Graphics
-1 TB Hard Drive 7200RPM

I just got a Lenovo desktop.

Operting system: Windows 7

4Gb RAM

!T hard drive

Preloaded with Microsoft Office 2010

Hooked up to a 26" flat screen Vizio TV as monitor; also use wireless keyboard and mouse so I can use in bed on bad days.

It's probably way too much computer for me.

Reactions: Jexocuha and rawr
Dell Inspiron 1440
Windows 7 64-bit
Intel Pentium Duo Core Processor 2.3GHz
320GB Hard Drive & 4GB DDR2 RAM

I got a new lappy for Christmas :D

Operating system: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Processor: AMD Turion II Dual-Core Mobile Processor M520, 2.3 GHz, Level 2 cache 1 MB, AMD M880G
Memory: 4 GB DDR2 (2 x 2048 MB), 2 user accessible memory slots, supports up to 8 GB DDR2 memory
Storage: 320 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive (7200 rpm), up to 12 GB partition for system recovery
Video: ATI Radeon HD 4200 Graphics, up to 2046 MB total available graphics memory

Beats the hell outta my old laptop which is a good 7 years old (the screen recently gave up the ghost) and I think it beats my current desktop too lol.

I forgot to add Home Premium 64-bit because I don't really know what that means, except it's th fastest computer I've ever had.

My old laptop:

ASUS F5SL series
- Dual-boot: Kubuntu Linux 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) + Windows XP (for some games only)
- Pentium T2390 (dual core 2x1.86 GHz)
- ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470 - 256 MB
- 2 GB memory
- 250 GB HD

- the DVD-writer doesn't works anymore (the motherboards controller or something like that broke..)

Doing this again because I don't have anything of importance to contribute anywhere else on the forum. Also, my computer situation has changed slightly.

What operating system are you running? Windows, Mac etc.
Linux Mint 9, with XFCE as my desktop environment. I don't think 10 is that much newer, and comes with Gnome, which I really don't care for. Once I get some patience and some free time I'm going to try installing Arch Linux again.

Desktop or Laptop?
My $115 special Thinkpad X31. It's a bit older, but it was cheap and it can take a beating.

What are the specs of your computer? (Most interested!)
Pentium M 1.6ghz
1.25gb DDR RAM (came with 512, the 1gb stick was expensive...)
120gb hard drive I've had lying around since I started college four years ago, and it still works.
Radeon 7000, which is good for.... pretty much nothing. I'd probably be better off with Intel graphics, as at least they have more widespread support.
Intel 2200B/G card that I got for $10. I had to install a BIOS hack because IBM locked out anything that wasn't sold by them. Simple enough to do though, thanks to someone else's brains and work.

I want a new netbook, but I'm waiting for AMD's Fusion netbooks to become more widespread. Hopefully Lenovo will release a Thinkpad-branded netbook with the E-350 within the next couple of months.

Desktop or Laptop?

27" iMac i7 2.93GHz with ATI Radeon 5750 and 12GB RAM. It's the best computer I've ever owned (and the most expensive too). The only thing I'm really missing is an OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, but that's because I'm too chicken to open up the insides and tear everything out to install the SSD.

Also have an older 15" MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz (Merom) with Radeon X1600 video card and 3GB of RAM. It's been my home workhorse since 2006. Both Macs are running Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, fully patched and up to date.

At work I use some flavour of Dell Core 2 Duo desktop tower running Windows XP SP3, with a 20" EIZO L997 monitor. The monitor is great, but I hate the PC and would much rather use a Mac. I wish IT would at least upgrade the SOE to Windows 7, that would ease the pain somewhat.

I've been a die hard Mac fan since 2003 when I bought a white 12" G3 iBook 800MHz. I am seriously lusting after a new 11" MacBook Air, but I can't justify it until my current MBP dies.

Oh, I also have an ASUS Eee PC 901 (with the 1.6GHz Atom CPU and 2GB of RAM) but it's pretty sucktacular and I really regret buying it back in 2008. Way too slow and the keyboard is much too small to use comfortably.

Last edited:
MacBook PRO (couple years old at this point, though)

27" iMac i7 2.93GHz with ATI Radeon 5750 and 12GB RAM. It's the best computer I've ever owned (and the most expensive too). The only thing I'm really missing is an OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, but that's because I'm too chicken to open up the insides and tear everything out to install the SSD.

Also have an older 15" MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz (Merom) with Radeon X1600 video card and 3GB of RAM. It's been my home workhorse since 2006. Both Macs are running Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, fully patched and up to date.

At work I use some flavour of Dell Core 2 Duo desktop tower running Windows XP SP3, with a 20" EIZO L997 monitor. The monitor is great, but I hate the PC and would much rather use a Mac. I wish IT would at least upgrade the SOE to Windows 7, that would ease the pain somewhat.

I've been a die hard Mac fan since 2003 when I bought a white 12" G3 iBook 800MHz. I am seriously lusting after a new 11" MacBook Air, but I can't justify it until my current MBP dies.

Oh, I also have an ASUS Eee PC 901 (with the 1.6GHz Atom CPU and 2GB of RAM) but it's pretty sucktacular and I really regret buying it back in 2008. Way too slow and the keyboard is much too small to use comfortably.

23 gig ram 0.o can it use all 12 gig? 0.o thats the most I have ever seen

We have the same computer, save the SSD part. It is the fastest machine I have ever owned, but not the most expensive. In fact, it was half the price of my last (now ancient) system.

Consider sending OWC your iMac and getting an eSATA port and a Mercury Extreme SSD in one go. Worth it! :thumb:

Edit: Oops, you

Is anyone planning on upgrading, or buying a computer with the new Sandy Bridge processors from Intel?

The concenus so far is that the 2500K and 2600K are amazing- but upgrading from the existing Core i series wouldn't make much of a difference. Though, not many people here have those anyway.

I'll hold out a while for the next gen ipad and next gen imac, then get both; I got the macbook thinking it could solve my 'wanna write my novel from a mountain top' warblings, but it's still too heavy bulky to carry everywhere and yet not powerful enough to run my games, rendering, photoshop smoothly at home. Therefore, I'll separate and have a powerhouse at home and a writing/net device for travel.

Consider sending OWC your iMac and getting an eSATA port and a Mercury Extreme SSD in one go. Worth it! :thumb:

Edit: Oops, you’re in Oz. :noidea:

Yeah, it's a bummer, if I was in the US I'd definitely get the eSATA port and SSD installed by them :)

I'll hold out a while for the next gen ipad and next gen imac, then get both; I got the macbook thinking it could solve my 'wanna write my novel from a mountain top' warblings, but it's still too heavy bulky to carry everywhere and yet not powerful enough to run my games, rendering, photoshop smoothly at home. Therefore, I'll separate and have a powerhouse at home and a writing/net device for travel.

Sounds like an 11" MacBook Air is the ideal device for you. I'd wait until the next revision though, hopefully they'll have something a bit faster although the current gen is very good in its own right.

I regret buying my 15" MBP, it's too heavy to be really used as a portable laptop and I ended up just using it as a desktop replacement 99% of the time. My next laptop purchase will be a MBA for sure. Until then, my 3G iPad will suffice -- the only thing I can't do on it is iOS development (which I'm learning at the moment).

For tight data flow I/O control on the network across various apps, Little Snitch for MacOS X is tops!
Muzzle every process and only allow those you want to speak, speak via a conditional ruleset. :becky:

And I

I find looking and thinking about computers very stress relieving, maybe something to do with Ti? Takes me away from my emotions.

Anyway since we all use computers to access the forum it would be interesting to see what we are all running. Answer these questions so I can be nosey about the kind of computer stuff you all use and so we can laugh (or cry in jealousy) at the hardware you are using:

Right now, I'm on Android (x86) running over qemu+KVM running on a Windows 10 Pro partition.
Other times I log into the forum, I'm remoted into an Android phone, I'm on MxLinux, Debian, FreeBSD, or I'm logged in on a Windows session at work.

Desktop or Laptop?
I mostly use laptops for doing regular everyday work and personal stuff. Or I'll use an android phone.
The laptop I've been using lately for most stuff is nothing to get excited over. It's an old Dell Latitude E64xx. Prior
to using this for personal work, web surfing, and text-editing, I was almost exclusively using a Dell Latitude 2100 netbook. I've bought over 4 of them, take them apart, replace the parts/chips/components. They have never failed to surprise me as a learning tool, workhorse, portable geek-out gadget, and break-fix/backup/security machine.

I'm running a virtual machine with 2 processors, 4358 MB base RAM, KVM Paravirtual Acceleration, 128 MB display memory. The laptop specs are something like:
  • Intel Core 4th Generation i7-4610M Processor (3.0 GHz)
  • 16 GB DDR3 Memory
  • 120 GB SATA Solid state drive
  • AMD Radeon HD 2GB GDDR5 graphics card

[I don't know if this is good advice or not, not the best example, but it's the principle I follow for personal tech equipment. I'd rather buy multiples of something than spend alot on one real powerful thing. I'd rather spend $x, xxx.xx+ dollars on a dedicated server, and parts, power backup units, and networking supplies, than spend that amount on a PC or laptop. I'd rather rent out a workstation or a remote cloud cluster session for specific processes or projects I'm trying to run than make payments for a personal PC. I'd rather recycle old PCs and have them part of a processing pool or multi-home data farm network than sell them, throw them away, use them for games. ..etc..]

Last edited:
Reactions: aeon