Thinking on your feet... | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Thinking on your feet...

Writing wise I'm extremely adept at it (and in fact, nearly all my posts are written "on the fly," with small edits afterwards).

Speaking-wise it totally depends on context: if it is a social situation, then I just suck period. If I'm under certain types of pressure, mainly social or authoritarian...again no good. Otherwise, I range from fair to extraordinary. I dominated the debate class in high school for instance, but would only say I'm "fair" at being funny.

I can think on my feet, but what I come up with isn't all that profound.

I prefer to let it simmer a bit.

Absolutely horrible at this, I stutter on words and my story is out of order sometimes. It's really hard to do! I can't think so fast, give me some time! That's probably why I'm an introvert.

I spent 20 years producing documentaries so in that environment I learned to think on my feet pretty well. I always had a crew waiting for decisions so a call had to be made. I prefer more time to consider things, but those experiences helped me learn to trust my gut on certain things. Sometimes experience brings out parts of ourselves we didn't know were there.

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but i remeber reading in a type description that you should never ask a INFJ to do or quit something without a 5 to ten minutes heads up. Assuming this goes into problem solving and the number of deliberate thinkers doesn't that conflict it iN of the infj which seems to pull answers out of thin air

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but i remeber reading in a type description that you should never ask a INFJ to do or quit something without a 5 to ten minutes heads up. Assuming this goes into problem solving and the number of deliberate thinkers doesn't that conflict it iN of the infj which seems to pull answers out of thin air

May you please rephrase that? Sorry. I'm not quite sure I understand.

May you please rephrase that? Sorry. I'm not quite sure I understand.

Parprased: The thought is and from personal experience i need time to mull things over before I make any kind of decision in a group setting, though this seems to be in contradiction with the iNtuition of the infj which seems like the decsion come out of no where.

my goodness my typing is atrocious, this computer needs spell check

Parprased: The thought is and from personal experience i need time to mull things over before I make any kind of decision in a group setting, though this seems to be in contradiction with the iNtuition of the infj which seems like the decsion come out of no where.

my goodness my typing is atrocious, this computer needs spell check

S'alright, hun. :)

I think that maybe the reason you have to mull things over is because you might be second-guessing yourself... or maybe you don't trust your Ni. I definitely don't trust mine and I'll spend hours and hours trying to "perfect" whatever it is I'm working on using either T functions. But when it comes down to the nitty gritty, I don't have time to go to Ti. My Ni volunteers and gets the job done.

I don't know about you Chris, but I take my time... carefully lining up all the facts on each side of an issue, just so I can then end up ignoring them all and jumping in bed with the one I just 'feel' like is right. :p

I don't know about you Chris, but I take my time... carefully lining up all the facts on each side of an issue, just so I can then end up ignoring them all and jumping in bed with the one I just 'feel' like is right. :p

i've been there, i've also had my intuition kick in then spend thirty minutes mulling it over to find out if it's right, most of the time it is, but I feel weird when people question it, I can only see so far into my own thoughts (does that sound as weird to you as it does to me?)

It drives me crazy when people ask me that, because my internal answer is, "Uh, I dunno," and then quickly have to use all my rational explanations I came up with as backup. :p

I wish I could see further into my own thoughts too - in an unbiased way, which is impossible. But I do understand.

I can only see so far into my own thoughts (does that sound as weird to you as it does to me?)
No, I totally get this. In my mind so many things are connected that I generally can't access it immediately. Even if I manage to, the answer is likely to be, "well, it is....and it isn't.