NaeturVindur

Cuddlemaster
Retired Staff
Nov 17, 2008
MBTI
iNfj
Enneagram
9w1
I recently had a discussion with a friend, and the idea of religions claiming to profess absolute divine truth came up. I mentioned tat a grand total of three religions (Judaism, Christianity, ad Islam) claim to profess this truth, and all other religions recognized other religions as simply interpreting the universe in a different but equally valid way. The person I was talking to disagreed, saying that had to be more than just three, but also that Judaism isn't one of them.

So, the question is: what religion do you practice (I would like to ignore sectarianism, so if your Christian, don't say Presbyterian or Methodist, ect., say Christian, unless you disagree with someone of the same religion disagrees with you) and does your religion say anything along the lines of "we're right and your wrong"?

My answer is: Wiccan, and no.

Agnostic and no, I believe that in the end nothing is absolute, which is why I decided to become agnostic,I am open to any religion and I'm often attracted to the spiritual, I don't like religions who claim to have the ''absolute truth''.

Unfortunately, I cannot answer this question without mentioning religious denominations. As an organized religion, yes, Christianity only promotes one truth. But Agnostic and Existential Christians are not institutionalized, nor do they propagate such a view.

Indeed, you'll find that most heavily institutionalized religions are the ones that claim supreme truth above all others.

Pandeist, depends on the individual.

Deist. No.

Edit: Actually, satya's right, depends on the individual.

Last edited:
I have to do the sectarian thing here, too, because it matters. I am Christian and Roman Catholic and the reason I am so is the ready access to a broad history and experience that allows for the articulation and nurturing of a very holistic view of the faith. Yes, Christ is at the center, but from his life and example eminate richly diverse perspectives that really have and do matter in the way one lives and approaches existance.

Now some people consider Roman Catholicism the poster child for rules and regulation and dogma, but those are all external elements that serve a particular limited function. The reality on the inside is (or can be) a whole other matter. I mention this because this type of Christianity can be very different in it's construct and assumptions from other types. The differences can even be startling.

Anyway....absolutes? Yes, I do believe in absolutes, but they are far more broad than one might suspect. The linear mind for the most part cannot grasp these absolutes and a great appreciation for paradox must be employed. The absolute allows for great freedom and liberty in that they address a certain "what is" that moves us away from illusion to something that actually works within the cosmic construct.

Agnostic atheist (yeah I know it's not a religion) and yes. But people can be wrong all they want, it doesn't really matter.

I don't practice any religion, and my spiritual beliefs are still being defined.

I do not believe that there is a knowable-ultimate truth.

Christian, most certainly

Roman Catholic and my position is the same as Thomas Merton:

"If I affirm myself as a Catholic merely by denying all that is Muslim, Jewish, Protestant, Hindu, Buddhist, etc., in the end I will find that there is not much left for me to affirm as a Catholic: and certainly no breath of the Spirit with which to affirm it."

I affirm that Catholicism is the truth, but that doesn't mean I deny that truth in certain proportions exists among non-Catholics. I generally respect the spiritual truths of other traditions while affirming to my own.

Reactions: bamf
I'm an Atheist with Buddhist sympathies (Buddhism doesn't involve belief in a deity or with blind faith so the 2 are perfectly compatible), and I don't do dogmatic nonsense.

I don't know what name i should give to this religion. I think there is only one god.

To be honest atheism sounds like foolishness to me. Difference between god believer and non believer, their question about deeds of human.
Non believer asks: How to do work? How it happened? Sometimes it is not our business.
God believer asks: What changes we need and how can we do that? This makes more sense and after some time it becomes successful.

There is no need to go how it become, it is complicated. Look at scientists they are trying to reach GOD, They are trying to find what is the medicine to stop death? You know its answer. I think they are non god believer.

Some people seem to think that philosophies such as materialism and determinism are dogmatic belief systems, so to those the answer is yes, the beliefs I ascribe to claim to hold supreme truths.