Studio Ghibli | INFJ Forum

Studio Ghibli

Satya

C'est la vie
Retired Staff
May 11, 2008
MBTI
INXP
Alright, we are INFJs and for some odd reason we don't have a Studio Ghibli thread. I figured this must be resolved. As you may or may not know, Studio Ghibli is responsible for arguably some of the best anime ever produced. A few of my personal favorites...

Nausica

panda-allo.jpg

Tanuki!

01_tanuki_okimono.jpg

Reactions: Satya
Where are their penis's?

Dunno, but Pom Poko rules cuz it is the only anime I know of where the characters literally use their scrotums as parachutes and weapons.

:(

I haven't seen 'Tales From Earthsea' yet....

90110-large.jpg

I didn't like, like, all of them...but they all get an honorable mention :D

PONYO
ponyo.jpg

I haven't seen 'Tales From Earthsea' yet....

90110-large.jpg

Oh, Goro's movie. I wanna see that too. The reviews say it is good as long as you have never read the books. But I find that is true with most movies based off of books.

Earthsea is a must watch, indeed, thanks for reminding me....

characters literally use their scrotums as parachutes and weapons
That's traditional Japanese belief - Tanuki, raccoons with giant testicles, which have mystical powers. (lol)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/26/Tanuki_Unzen.jpg
tanuki+testicles.jpg

What can I say - Carpe Scrotum! (which is literally how promises were given in ancient middle east, so some people still refer to it as holding by the balls)

Yoshifumi Kondo's Whisper of the Heart is one of my favourite films of any style or genre, and Porco Rosso's pretty great too IMO, thematically speaking it's probably the most mature film Miyazaki's done (although Mononoke deals with some pretty mature themes too).

Last edited:
Oh man, Studio Ghibli is the best! I think Princess Mononoke would have to be my favorite. In fact, when I was first reading about mapping the attitude-functions to archetypes, I thought I'd come up with my own personal representations for the archetypes. For my anima (Se) I actually thought of San from Princess Mononoke, and maybe Ashitaka to represent my Hero function of Ni. Speaking of which... should we try and type the characters from the Studio Ghibli films? Maybe Ashitaka really is an INFJ

Speaking of which... should we try and type the characters from the Studio Ghibli films? Maybe Ashitaka really is an INFJ

I think that sounds like a cool idea,

Its been a while since I've seen Kiki's delivery service, but from what I remember, she came across as a INFP.

I think Miyazaki is ISFJ (from interviews) and most of his characters too. It's a general rule that most authors project different facets of their own personality type in the seeming variety of stories and attitudes they create.

Yubaba is ENTJ, arguably his most powerful character of all times:
Chihiro---Yubaba-spirited-away-3997.jpg

[youtube]SSarDfGpwv8[/youtube]

(well, powerful, only if one cares about dominant Te rudeness which I don't anymore; btw she reminds me of Ayn Rand so much, lol)

Last edited:
huh, I love Japanese animation and this is indeed quite great..surprised to see the raccoons though xD.

I think Miyazaki is ISFJ (from interviews) and most of his characters too.

Really? I've always thought of him as an INFP, certainly some kind of NF anyway (or at the very least an ISFP). The same goes for many of his main characters.

Maybe I'm just trying to claim him as one of our own, but neither in his interviews nor in his works have I seen anything to suggest an Si dominated outlook on life. In fact most of his work seems to be about being yourself and engaging in rich fantasy worlds, whether internal or external, something which doesn't sound at all Si to me, but does sound either very NF or very Fi (or maybe even both).

Really? I've always thought of him as an INFP, certainly some kind of NF anyway (or at the very least an ISFP). The same goes for many of his main characters.

Maybe I'm just trying to claim him as one of our own, but neither in his interviews nor in his works have I seen anything to suggest an Si dominated outlook on life. In fact most of his work seems to be about being yourself and engaging in rich fantasy worlds, whether internal or external, something which doesn't sound at all Si to me, but does sound either very NF or very Fi (or maybe even both).

His works do seem very INFP (NF in general) to me. It is however possible that he is just working stories in a shadow way of some sorts. I.E. He is an ISFJ or something that is telling stories from his alter-ego point of view. I know very little about him, I just have seen a few of his movies. It is possible, but I feel from the movies he is an INFP or something similar.

His works do seem very INFP (NF in general) to me. It is however possible that he is just working stories in a shadow way of some sorts. I.E. He is an ISFJ or something that is telling stories from his alter-ego point of view. I know very little about him, I just have seen a few of his movies. It is possible, but I feel from the movies he is an INFP or something similar.

The problem with this assessment is the underlying environmentalism theme to every one of his movies. He uses distinct symbolism to push a message of conservation while at the same time invoking a consistant framework whereby there is no distinct good or evil characters, only characters with their specific vices such as greed, vanity, or pride. NFPs have strongly individualistic streaks and tend to view things as black and white, so his work is not in tune to the way NFPs tend to think. You can tell Miyazaki is very progressive, which would be very unusual for an SJ who tend to believe in enforcing the status quo and traditions, and he is very in tune with his intuition given the underlying symbolic patterns of his movies. There is also a value orientation and expressed detail to the relationships between the characters which is very indicative of Fe. Take into account that he is a director, which a very extroverted position and I think a strong case can be made that he is an ENFJ who is using his chosen art to try to save the world. I also see no evidence to indicate that he works from an sort of "alter ego".

Last edited:
I just want to say I am a huge Miyazaki fan! I have Spirited Away on DVD and some others on VHS (yeah, cringe). I never knew that Studio Ghibli to be so closely associated with INFJ. I suppose that would explain why the boyfriend (he's a closet INFJ) liked Spirited Away and my family didn't get it?