Do you have social anxiety?

• Yes

Votes: 70 74.5%
  • No

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 12 12.8%

• Total voters
hmmm, sorry for reviving am older thread but since i've been feeling this way recently im mentioning it.

yea, it seems to be in the background of all of dealings...
there's always a nervousness... i don't know, i think over the years i've learned what conversations work with people... though the true INFJ part of me hates it, and what's real connections with others.

sometimes it's overwhelming and i want to be close to everyone... be the 'best friend' of everyone haha

but i digress, i hide so much more of myself than i show...

when i look through my phonebook, or my myspace, facebook, whatever.. i realise i actually have no friends... perhaps only one person who truly understands who i am.

my friends would say otherwise; they think i'm quite outgoing, and that it's normal be this way. :/ i don't know though, it seems as though i see certain things in others... and then i suddenly suffer from this extreme disconnection. then i get the urge to express it publicly .... but who will listen? hahah, so i end up never sharing my feelings.

Reactions: NeverAmI
hmmm, sorry for reviving am older thread but since i've been feeling this way recently im mentioning it.

yea, it seems to be in the background of all of dealings...
there's always a nervousness... i don't know, i think over the years i've learned what conversations work with people... though the true INFJ part of me hates it, and what's real connections with others.

sometimes it's overwhelming and i want to be close to everyone... be the 'best friend' of everyone haha

when i look through my phonebook, or my myspace, facebook, whatever.. i realise i actually have no friends... perhaps only one person who truly understands who i am.

my friends would say otherwise; they think i'm quite outgoing, and that it's normal be this way. :/ i don't know though, it seems as though i see certain things in others... and then i suddenly suffer from this extreme disconnection. then i get the urge to express it publicly .... but who will listen? hahah, so i end up never sharing my feelings.

hmm, I'm glad you kept this thread going, I like it.

When you said "who will listen?" is it because people don't understand your intuition?

I get that feeling of wanting to be the best friend of everyone once in a while too. It's wierd. I get more outgoing and stuff. No one thinks I'm normally outgoing though. Mostly I don't have friends who I can talk to about personal things enough. I'm not sure if the friends I do have think I talk about personal stuff too much or not. I have been working on it my whole life and it probably is getting better.

I realised this recently. It's extremely depressing.

I'll be your friend Wyst

[YOUTUBE]KuTzg8vRzA8[/YOUTUBE]

A great description of the disorder. This is all dead on except that I don't worry about any specific thing in grocery stores and other crowded places. I just freak out overall about how I present myself, how others will think of me, etc. Anything happening that would draw attention to myself is very scary. Taking my neice and nephews is a nightmare but I am forced to interact with the external world so it can actually be healthy for me.

Alcohol/drug use is VERY true, it helps me to be comfortable, and I do indeed become the life of the party many times. Sometimes my anxiety is so strong that I still cannot get over it.

I blush like crazy around direct people that I do not know.

I definitely have an unhealthy inferiority complex. The past few years held the first few times where someone else was wrong in a conflict and I was right. Every other time in my life I always saw myself as being the fault in a situation when someone else said I was.

I was reading some descriptions of what social anxiety is for members of a forum and here are some of the descriptions I relate to VERY much.

...you take a longer route to get to your destination because you want to avoid someone

...you feel like your hearts about to burst out of your chest because its beating so fast.

....you hide behind the sofa when the doorbell rings --VERY embarassing for me to admit.

....you take lunch out to your car everyday, regardless of the workplace, to avoid the attempt to sit with others... I go home and eat or I eat at my desk.

you sweat like a **** pig

You've heard the phrase "Why don't you talk?", about 1000 times.

I sometimes think I'm better and I go to the grocery store but last night I went and ran into a lady I knew from my last job and I nearly had a panic attack while talking to her. I was blushing, sweating, shaking. It was awful. I'm not attracted to her either.

...when people tell you to smile cos u look miserable, even though u dont realise it.

When you do say something and the horrible sounds of each word you said haunt you for 2-3 hours.

~when you are the complete oposite of yourself when you drink

~when you don't have a single real friend and the closest person to you is just an aquaintance

When you cant even relax round family members never mind people you don't know...

... you're like a nervous bird at traffic lights, wondering what people are thinking.

... the "self-checkout" lane in grocery stores and other automated interactions (ordering online, etc.) are a relief.

... you get ready for two hours just to check the mail, then berate yourself for walking "strangely" to the mailbox.

...new people give up on trying to make conversation with you in a matter of minutes. Then you never see them again.

>>you haven't talked to a live person on the phone in decades.

...constantly plan how long you will spend in a certain social environment, before you can leave without it looking bad.

When you would rather lay in a pit of snakes than be at a huge social event for ten minutes. I can honestly say that yes, I would.

-you buy clothes online so you don't have to buy them in person

-you CAN'T STAND being in earshot of someone while talking on the phone
-you replay conversations in your head wondering what they thought of you

... you feel like you are being pinned down mentally, and nothing you do can make you free to be yourself.

You feel uneasy and rigid whilst in public.

You act unimportant and evasive to avoid possible embarrasment

-you are extremely relieved when plans fall through

your friends never hear from you

even complete strangers constantly ask you "are you ok?"

- you repeatedly kick yourself after the fact for making an awkward introduction, shaking hands too often, not saying the right thing in a witty and apt manner

...afraid to go out in case the neighbours see you.

You never fail to get anxious walking past people in the street because you think they're staring at you, or you think they can tell that you are nervous by your body language and by your facial expression, or you automatically think that they are assuming bad things about you.

You see a work colleague or someone you know coming down the hall at work and you think to yourself,"oh no, what will I say, should I smile and say hello, will they think I'm an idiot", and a million other thoughts which cross your mind and make you feel like hiding.

...you would rather keep something that is broken/doesn't fit/you didn't really need, regardless of how much you paid, than go to to customer services, return it, and get your money back.

...you're so used to censoring what you have to say that you start to believe you actually don't have anything to say.

...you put off getting your hair cut, cavities filled, or anything else because the idea of making an appointment over the phone terrifies you.

... when being alone is both a relief and a hardship all at the same time...

...when you can't sleep because you are too keyed up thinking about the next day

...when you always look in your rear view mirror when you're driving to make sure that you're going fast enough and that there's no one right behind you

... When you have known someone for years and they don't know much about you

... When you know how irrational Social Anxiety is, yet it is such a part of you that when you are out in public you cannot help but blush, get tongue-tied, etc.

Sigh...

Last edited:
Reactions: mastermind
^^^I can relate to a majority of those^^^

When you would rather lay in a pit of snakes than be at a huge social event for ten minutes.

Haha, yeah.

you buy clothes online so you don't have to buy them in person

Thank god for the internet.

You never fail to get anxious walking past people in the street because you think they're staring at you, or you think they can tell that you are nervous by your body language and by your facial expression, or you automatically think that they are assuming bad things about you.

I had this today walking into town. I find it's bad for the first while but after some time I forget about it.

...you would rather keep something that is broken/doesn't fit/you didn't really need, regardless of how much you paid, than go to to customer services, return it, and get your money back.

My PSU for my computer exploded and I didn't wanna talk to a sales person on the phone so I just bought another one...

...you put off getting your hair cut, cavities filled, or anything else because the idea of making an appointment over the phone terrifies you.

I am doing this RIGHT NOW. I'm calling up for a hair cut tomorrow, damnit!

I am doing this RIGHT NOW. I'm calling up for a hair cut tomorrow, damnit!

I shave my head, hehe. I think that actually does heavily play into why I shave my head, although I could probably learn to cut my own hair, but this is easier.

:D

I can identify with just about everything in this thread. I have suffered for most of my life from social anxiety, and it makes things quite difficult, even the most practical matters. At times I can feel quite depressed because I get to feeling quite alienated and lonely. In turn, the depression leads to feelings of worthlessness and low self-esteem, thus increasing my social anxiety - a nasty cycle, to say the least. It's rather upsetting - and frustrating, too - when people ask why I'm so quiet all of the time, and, in my anxiousness, I simply shrug and respond, "I don't know." Gah, I'm so socially awkward sometimes. Additionally, people always comment on my facial expression, or lack thereof, as if I feel no emotion at all. Quite the contrary. This feeling of being misunderstood only adds to my feeling of helplessness.

Luckily, however, I have improved upon my social anxiety somewhat. I'm still incredibly socially inept and socially anxious, but I have a little more self-confidence now than in recent years. Being an introvert, I don't care for that much social interaction in the first place, which has not changed at all, but at least I feel slightly less anxious out in public and in social situations. In any event, it's something I definitely have to work at.

We have all been socially anxious.
Most always will be.
My strategy is to recognize I don't enjoy being social, on anything other than a random basis.
Chancing to meet someone in conversation, I can engage enthusiastically.
But not for long, and not regularly.
I enjoy - far more - being with nature, or alone, or with my wife.

Anxiety is a symptom.
Pay attention to it.
Discover how to accommodate it.

I think I have social anxiety as well as Avoidant Personality Disorder. It started sometime during my teen years where I became very shy and couldn't talk to anyone. I think this is because I was badly teased during the majority of school. Over time it got worse. I started to avoid any social contact and it's now gotten to the point where I am almost completely isolated. I barely have any friends.

I think I have social anxiety as well as Avoidant Personality Disorder. It started sometime during my teen years where I became very shy and couldn't talk to anyone. I think this is because I was badly teased during the majority of school. Over time it got worse. I started to avoid any social contact and it's now gotten to the point where I am almost completely isolated. I barely have any friends.

Does being out of school away from the people who teased you help any?

Does being out of school away from the people who teased you help any?

Not really. I'm going to college now and it's quite loney and miserable. I am pretty much socially inept and when I talk to people it gets really awkward. Plus sometimes I get so nervous that I actually hyperventilate. I am avoiding social contact to avoid being hurt and humiliated, but it is actually causing me just as much pain. It's weird.

yes, i am social anxious. I am not extreme with it.

To me you may become sometime because you have to interact with your society and you have to maintain some important relationship. It is obvious they will come to you. We should try to handle ourselves against social anxiety.

Not really. I'm going to college now and it's quite loney and miserable. I am pretty much socially inept and when I talk to people it gets really awkward. Plus sometimes I get so nervous that I actually hyperventilate. I am avoiding social contact to avoid being hurt and humiliated, but it is actually causing me just as much pain. It's weird.

Is it possible that it seems more awkward to you than it seems to other people? Looking back at myself at that age, that's what I think about myself for the most part. Maybe I got a little more social skills with practice though too. Anyway, I hope it improves for you.

Maybe I get it, I don't know anything about it really. I've grown comfortable with trains but I'm still anxious untill my ticket stub is punched then I sit back in blissful anonymity and muteness, LOVE when the seat beside me is free.

I think the idea of developing your extraverted functions is a good one, although for ISFPs that is Se and Se is impulsive and inappropriate, next extraverted function is Te which isn't exactly a crowd pleaser either.

Had it since I was a teenager. It's improved in recent years though, mostly thanks to finding out (through MBTI, amongst other things) that I was a worthwhile person so a lot of the negative judgements that I was expecting to be sent my way wouldn't have been valid anyway, and the Buddhist practise of mindfulness helped quite a lot too because it helped me realise that I had a lot more control over my own emotional reactions to things than I thought.

Thats interesting, because Buddhist principles has also helped me gain new perspective on things with the added benefit of mbti understandings. What type of Buddhism have you studied?:md: