So what do you do for employment? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

So what do you do for employment?

lied, cheated and stole my way in

I check people out. (ATM. looking for more suitable employment)

I am a network and systems administrator at a University. I am also a student in psychology. I would like to change careers to be an academic/researcher in clinical psychology. I would also like to create and run two centres. One for 'rehabilitating' those with mental health issues. The other will be dedicated to providing alternative learning and coping strategies for both troubled and/or gifted kids.

IT and psych. any intersection in the fields? Or do you wish to make a full switch? I'm assuming you have some kind of tech degree/cert. at the moment?

lied, cheated and stole my way in
if i didn't know and better. idda thunk you were a politician. :p:m177:

i kid. sort of.

i am unemployed right now but i tell people i'm retired. sounds way cooler

Reactions: the
I lift heavy things and sometimes plug in microphones and stuff at a hotel part time.

Reactions: rawr
I work for a small export company. Half my time is spent in a management position. The other half is spent working from home doing administration and compliance. I also run a lot of errands. My job description is pretty flexible, actually. Mostly I just go where I'm most needed - filling in the gaps. Time away from the office is what I enjoy best. The management side of things stresses me out.

IT and psych. any intersection in the fields? Or do you wish to make a full switch? I'm assuming you have some kind of tech degree/cert. at the moment?

My background in IT has helped me to develop really strong active listening and problem solving skills; coupled with a unique perspective, I think I will be able to really advance the field of clinical psychology into more efficient and effective methods of diagnosing and treating people. It will ultimately be a full switch. For now, I will continue to ride my IT career at the university, which also allows me to take advantage of taking some classes during work hours and free tuition. :D

I have an IT related college certificate, A+, MCSA, and ITIL cert.

Last edited:
And then you will star in British TV show "IT Crowd." Probably not, since you are way smarter!

I have a lot of "used to's". I used to work in IT. I used to work in Customer Service. I used to work in Animal Welfare. I currently work with senior citizens. Of all the jobs though, I miss the animals the most. If I may pat myself on the back for a moment... I was damn good at that job - I could handle nearly all of them, understood their behavior and gave lectures and tours people openly admitted to enjoying, even years later.

I suppose I could also say I'm a writer. One novel down so far, and working on another. Nothing published yet... which is the catch, isn't it?

A favorite author of mine used to write novels and throw them away before she started the next one. To her, they were nothing more than practice.

Reactions: hush
That's a lot of dealing with people for supposed introverts.

It's not something that's easy to avoid in life...

I wasn't going to say, but I currently teach English at a middle school in South Korea. I've been doing EFL for a looooong time now-- too long… so long I'm probably only very marginally employable back home… it's not really a field with a lot of mobility.

I do genuinely enjoy the job, though. The kids are cool and even though middle schoolers can be moody and difficult, I think I've found my groove with them and they seem to like me . I have a lot of freedom when it comes to what I teach and I get to do a lot of really fun stuff… I basically get paid to talk to young adults and try to help them feel confident and share their opinions in English…

I'm probably socially retarded at this point and I kind of had a mini-meltdown last time I tried to re-enter English-speaking society-- so I'm not completely sure if I'll ever go back… I will leave Korea though.

It's not something that's easy to avoid in life...

I wasn't going to say, but I currently teach English at a middle school in South Korea. I've been doing EFL for a looooong time now-- too long… so long I'm probably only very marginally employable back home… it's not really a field with a lot of mobility.

I do genuinely enjoy the job, though. The kids are cool and even though middle schoolers can be moody and difficult, I think I've found my groove with them and they seem to like me . I have a lot of freedom when it comes to what I teach and I get to do a lot of really fun stuff… I basically get paid to talk to young adults and try to help them feel confident and share their opinions in English…

I'm probably socially retarded at this point and I kind of had a mini-meltdown last time I tried to re-enter English-speaking society-- so I'm not completely sure if I'll ever go back… I will leave Korea though.

I am jealous. That sounds amazing.

I used to do a lot of things. These day I scrounge for anything I can get and I have the odd childcare job. I don't particularly like it, so I can only hope that something else will come along. The upside is that kids seem to really like me. I'm the one out of my colleagues that can get the difficult kids to stick around and the one the kids want to cuddle when they are sad. I don't mind. Cuddling babies/toddlers is probably one of the only enjoyable aspects of what I do. I like making people feel better.

I'm a hitman, except nobody pays me.

I get paid to grade. It's a privilege in the grand scheme of things. I'm looking for a second job, though. Otherwise, I will simply be perfecting the art of sinking further into debt.
I'm also a full time student and involved in both hands' fingers' worth of non-academic commitments. Who knew I'd love being so busy?!

Last edited:
Store manager for a very large corporate retailer. Not glamorous, but the benefits are awesome. Plus, I'm really good at what I do. I'm simultaneously making a person, so I feel like I'm working my ass off, but it doesn't really seem to ever go away. :/ Hmph.

I tutor Statistics.

Domestic goddess. Yes that is paid employment ... his balls are my balls. :D

I am jealous. That sounds amazing.

I find it hard to believe that the way I described it made it sound amazing, but thanks!
There are definitely a lot of good things about it… but there's also a reason that not too many people last as long as I have in this industry.