So confused. | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

So confused.

She has stated in the comments on her status that she does not believe that these are the 'end times', that the world is not coming to end and there is no apocalypse.

But that Jesus is coming. Or something.

Her whole viewpoint really confuses me which is why I started this thread.

Oh. It sounds like she's disregarding Revelation (or interpreting it as metaphor) while looking for a similar apocalyptic prediction in the Gospels. That's unusual, but actually more logical judging by the assembly of the canon. So she has pinned down that Jesus will return and that that return will be associated with natural disasters and generally apocalyptic events, but not that the world will end as a result. Jesus will just chill with humanity for a while, like old times.

I'd chill with Jesus.

Sabbath's made for people, yo.

Buddy_christ.jpg

apocalyps is written by some lunatic in a cave and only accepted as a biblical text because that lunatic was against Nero and Nero was killing Christians.

I don't see what the link is between this book and Jesus. I can't see Jesus killing people for not believing in him while in his life on earth he tried to teach us to believe in ourselves. He brought a message and that message was not "worship me because I'm a god" and you'll die if you don't

in my opinion you can proof about everything you want with some lines from the bible. But then you'll take the words out of there context. That part she uses came from Matthew and since when was the book of Matthew about the future?
If I would be writing a bible now and say that Jesus will come when it is raining cats and dogs, in 100 years people will throw cats and dogs out of the windows in the hope that will make Jesus come :D

If I would be writing a bible now and say that Jesus will come when it is raining cats and dogs, in 100 years people will throw cats and dogs out of the windows in the hope that will make Jesus come :D

Hehe, I like this. Context is very important!

I don't think SHE was the one who thought up what she was saying, I think someone at her church told that to her and she repeated it to you...

The verse in Matthew comes from a context of Jesus telling people what to look for when he is coming again.

BUT: there are many christians (though I am not one of them) that believe that when Christ does come again, there won't be an apocalypse. They take the stuff in the book of Revelation figuratively. In other words, they think Jesus is coming back, but they DON'T think the world will end the way it is described in Revelation. They think Jesus will just show up and then everything will change...

I think that's what she means. Does that make sense?

When she says that sinful people, not Jesus, caused the earthquakes, she probably is referring to a concept academia calls "the Fall". The Fall is the idea that when Adam and Eve first sinned in the garden of eden (by disobeying God, breaking the only rule He had which was not to eat off this one particular tree), the whole earth (mankind, animal kind, plant kind, amoeba kind, etc.) suffered the consequences. So, the whole earth from that point on began dying and it's only a matter of time before it will die altogether (hence, one reason why Jesus is coming back).

It says elsewhere in the Bible that "the earth groans with the pains of childbirth", in context meaning that the earth is suffering the consequences along with men. This follows the line of thought that the earth was made for man (though!! Momentary soap-box: WE SHOULD BE GOOD STEWARDS OF IT!! We should be taking care of what God gave us!!).

As to the smile, I agree it was inappropriate! However, I do think it was motivated by her NOT thinking about dying people, only thinking of the possibility of seeing Jesus. But again, MOST inappropriate!

Meh, I am sort-of inclined to draw the conclusion that no matter how loving of a scripture you would throw at people, some will always draw more negative versions of it.

It's obvious how many different interpretations there are of "the word of God" on this very world. Perhaps we should be iNtuitive enough to see that it's not the word of God, nor God itself that is off. It's the very nature of people. Isn't that why most of us are on this mbti forum? We're all different, we're all individuals, let's explore it without judgements without prejudice.

Interpretations by humans say nothing of the reality of the world. It merely says something about humans themselves.

(Disclaimer! I am not on this forum for that reason, lol. I'm also agnostic full of love[I hope] <3)

:m183: I hope I didn't say anything wrong.... that would be discomforting.

It almost seems to me as if some christian groups look forward to a rapture type event and will make any excuse to try and think it's happening. Personally I'm shocked at how many people think the world will end in their lifetime considering the earth has been here for 4 billion years and we only live 80 to 100 if we're very lucky.

Honestly Elo, I found that diatribe very titillating. Verrrrrry titillating. I was also completely confounded, as well as bamboozled, but much more on an intellectual level vs. a sexual level.

It almost seems to me as if some christian groups look forward to a rapture type event and will make any excuse to try and think it's happening. Personally I'm shocked at how many people think the world will end in their lifetime considering the earth has been here for 4 billion years and we only live 80 to 100 if we're very lucky.

Tell me about it... ever heard of the millennialists? Why everyone so keen for the world to end?

What shocks me is that people don't realize that there isn't a set date in the book of Revelations for when the world will end. I don't understand why people keep trying to put a date on it.

Why everyone so keen for the world to end?

It doesn't take much effort to find reasons not to be happy with this existence.

This is one way not to put any effort in making this existence more palatable.

Agapooka

It doesn't take much effort to find reasons not to be happy with this existence.

This is one way not to put any effort in making this existence more palatable.

Agapooka

I can see why one would want to end their own life, but to want everyone else to end theirs based on religion, some post apocalyptic fairy tale involving living corpses, a new age of a civilization etc.?

:m083:

I don't get it. Is life that boring?

The end could very much happen in our life time...or someone Else's. You never know

Honestly Elo, I found that diatribe very titillating. Verrrrrry titillating. I was also completely confounded, as well as bamboozled, but much more on an intellectual level vs. a sexual level.

I'm very happy that stimulated you so much, Saru. ;)

A: Matthew 24:7 "Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places." - Maybe this is the beginning of the return of Jesus :)

"A" thinks that there might be a connection between the earthquakes and Jesus' return(probably more in jest then anything else.)

B: how nice of jesus to kill thousands of people upon his return, then...

"B" delivers a sharp jab to "A"

C: Haha... you may notice that prophecy does not actually say it is Jesus making the wars (we do that ourselves) nor the earthquakes. I think you will find that it is most often the ENEMIES of Jesus that do the killing.

"C" is trying to cover "A"

Me: How do "enemies of Jesus" cause earthquakes?

you ask a question

A: it says "you will hear of wars and rumours of wars"

satan, and such like. just like God was able to cause the flood.

"A" is trying to say that Satan has power similar to God's I assume(this is less then clear)

Me: Wait, so are you saying Satan caused those earthquakes?
(Just trying to clarify what you mean as I'm a bit confused).

A: no satan is probably the result of death. i dont know what caused earthquakes.... the tectonic plates. God/Jesus

"A" once again trying to cover his/her tracks without offending anyone,

D: okay so what i dont get about this is that Jesus like gave his life and everything for ours...but now that he wants to come back we have to give BACK our lives...?

in short, Jesus died for our freedom now that he's coming back we have to give up the freedom?

the question itself is broken, he didn't die for your life he died for your sin or another way to put it would be that he paid your debt.

In which case it has nothing to do with taking back a what he has given you.

C: Many people already HAVE given back their lives... or at least acknowledged that our lives were truly not ours to begin with. So we simply serve others and live our lives to help... doesn't actually cost much at all.

trying to answer a broken question

clear

Reactions: Matariki
I can't read all this, but OP your friend just believes in some goofy religious nonsense and there is no arguing illogical logic