Edith

little birdy
Retired Staff
Nov 13, 2010
MBTI
INFP
Enneagram
VI
I'm wondering if someone can help me make sense of this conversation on facebook.
A: Matthew 24:7 "Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places." - Maybe this is the beginning of the return of Jesus :)

B: how nice of jesus to kill thousands of people upon his return, then...

C: Haha... you may notice that prophecy does not actually say it is Jesus making the wars (we do that ourselves) nor the earthquakes. I think you will find that it is most often the ENEMIES of Jesus that do the killing.

Me: How do "enemies of Jesus" cause earthquakes?

A: it says "you will hear of wars and rumours of wars"

satan, and such like. just like God was able to cause the flood.

Me: Wait, so are you saying Satan caused those earthquakes?
(Just trying to clarify what you mean as I'm a bit confused).

A: no satan is probably the result of death. i dont know what caused earthquakes.... the tectonic plates. God/Jesus

What is she trying to say??
Do you agree with her?

She believes that God controls the earth (tectonic plates included) and therefore the earthquakes, and that he is wreaking havoc in preparation for the apocalypse. Satan, meanwhile, is waiting on the sidelines for his cue.

I'm wondering if someone can help me make sense of this conversation on facebook.

Do you agree with her?

Sigh. It says it in the Bible. So she can back it up with that. I believe in the Bible. But I'm not going to jump around with excitement when thousands of people are dying through no fault of their own. It may be the fulfilment of that scripture! Who knows, certainly she doesn't. Completely pointless saying it, she'd do better to practice compassion in this instance.

Reactions: Lucidmoon
She believes that God controls the earth (tectonic plates included) and therefore the earthquakes, and that he is wreaking havoc in preparation for the apocalypse. Satan, meanwhile, is waiting on the sidelines for his cue.

Hmm, she said again later that she doesn't believe in the apocalypse.

I am trying not to let it turn into an argument on facebook because it gets very ugly very quickly. I've deleted her as a friend a few times because of the things she has said to me on there.

Thanks TLM!

Sigh. It says it in the Bible. So she can back it up with that. I believe in the Bible. But I'm not going to jump around with excitement when thousands of people are dying through no fault of their own. It may be the fulfilment of that scripture! Who knows, certainly she doesn't. Completely pointless saying it, she'd do better to practice compassion in this instance.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

In other words: "Any point during human history, really."

I couldn't make sense of that at all. What century do we live in again?

I find that a lot of people believe the apocalypse is going to happen in their life time. Personally I figure what we are experiencing right now is virtually nothing compared to things like India breaking off of Antarctica and slamming into Asia creating the Himalayan mountains, I figure if the earth can survive stuff like that I'm not too worried about little trembles. Although I do feel horrible for the people involved in these situations and I weep with compassion for them and their families.

Is she looking this as a sign that these are the so called 'end times'?

Is she looking this as a sign that these are the so called 'end times'?

She has stated in the comments on her status that she does not believe that these are the 'end times', that the world is not coming to end and there is no apocalypse.

But that Jesus is coming. Or something.

Her whole viewpoint really confuses me which is why I started this thread.

Crowley said that we (humanity) have had the age of the mother and the age of the father and that we are now in the age of the child (Horus)....it is a time of war. Last century saw 2 world wars and perpetual conflict in the cold war.

Hinduism talks about now being the age of Kali Yuga...which is kind of the low point of human experience, where we (humanity) are just totally spiritually bereft.....just drowning in the material world.

I think that the correct consciousness is that ALL humans are equal.

Iraqis are equal to Americans
Palestineans are equal to Israelis
Africans are equal to the British

.....and so on....everyone is equal.

When humanity has that consciousness or when enough of humanity has that consciousness then conflict must end.

The first thing that happens in war is that people must dehumanise their enemy. Before they fight their enemy they must dehumanise them. That is why Americans called Vietnamese 'gooks' and why they call Iraqis 'Hadjis'. The British called the Germans 'the hun'. The nazis dehumanised the jews before persecuting them and the British dehumanised the Africans before they enslaved them.

Racism is the belief that one group of people is superior to another. It is a false consciousness

For as long as one group believes they are superior to anyone else then they will be able to justify the immoral actions they commit against them.

One common delusion in history is when a group of people claim to be god's chosen people. Any people who convince themselves that they are god's chosen people will be able to justify the most horrific acts of violence against those they see as inferior

So for mankind to evolve to some point where love has conquered fear, then it must recognise that all people are equal

There is a struggle then if you like, between those that believe that everyone is equal and those that believe they are superior to everyone else and have a right to dominate others. A struggle between love and fear.

If you want to speak metaphorically or allegorically i guess you could use language like good and evil, god and satan. That kind of language tends to be very evocative and therefore has a power of its own....but i think it is generally missleading and best avoided.....some people always make the mistake of seeing things in a literal sense

Last edited:
More:

D: okay so what i dont get about this is that Jesus like gave his life and everything for ours...but now that he wants to come back we have to give BACK our lives...?

C: Many people already HAVE given back their lives... or at least acknowledged that our lives were truly not ours to begin with. So we simply serve others and live our lives to help... doesn't actually cost much at all.

I understand what he's saying in this bit. I don't agree with it, but I get what he means,I think.

Matthew 24:7 "Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places." - Maybe this is the beginning of the return of Jesus :)
I'm a Christian myself, yes according to the bible these are the end times. However that doesn't mean that Jesus is going to come down anytime soon during our life times. Gods perception of time is different to our own as he is not bound by it as we are. Look at history, we've had nations going up against nations for thousands of years, and we've had famines as well as monster sized earthquakes before.

I honestly thought her simile face was completely inappropriate for the current situation (maybe its just me overreacting). But seeing death and destruction with my own eyes, there's nothing to smile about.

B: how nice of jesus to kill thousands of people upon his return, then...
Jesus isn't the one doing it. We are and nature is (however we happen to be the one's affected by it). Why would Jesus kill thousands of people if he was the one he that died on the cross for our sins? It doesn't make sense and it would defeat his purpose of existence altogether. Jesus never brought death and destruction, but love and the possibility of eternal life for those that choose to accept and follow him.

C: Haha... you may notice that prophecy does not actually say it is Jesus making the wars (we do that ourselves) nor the earthquakes. I think you will find that it is most often the ENEMIES of Jesus that do the killing.
Yes and No. Half true, half wishful thinking. Humans are more than capable of bumping themsevles off without the assistance of Satan.

Me: How do "enemies of Jesus" cause earthquakes?
They don't. Nature is more than capable as we have witnessed. God created the laws of nature, this is the result of the earth in action. The earth is built on extremely delicate ecosystems and unfortunately when something goes wrong because of us (pollution etc.) or nature deciding to be a bitch (to put it bluntly) we happen to be the ones receiving the blow.

satan, and such like. just like God was able to cause the flood.
God is the only one that can command the act of a natural disaster, however most of them are not done by his hand and he usually gives a reason for doing so (refer to Genesis, Noah's Flood). However since Jesus coming down 2000 years ago, there would be no need for him bring destruction in such a manner.

Me: Wait, so are you saying Satan caused those earthquakes?
(Just trying to clarify what you mean as I'm a bit confused).
A: no satan is probably the result of death. i dont know what caused earthquakes.... the tectonic plates. God/Jesus
Death is the result of sin (refer to Genesis, the garden of Eden) and the earthquakes were caused by the law of nature (that God created).

Do you agree with her?
Her reaction to this is the result of wishful thinking and failing to use her logic by questioning the situation.

Last edited:
Forget about the god stuff. She's upset about the earthquake.

I honestly thought her simile face was completely inappropriate for the current situation (maybe its just me overreacting). But seeing death and destruction with my own eyes, there's nothing to smile about.

I most definitely agree that it was inappropriate. No need for a smiley face there, in my opinion.

Upset? Whos upset? Elowen or the Facebookevangelist?

Both, hopefully. I'm really confused by that exchange too, but I think the solution is to step back from the small-scale argument about religion and look at the bigger concept of the earthquake.

Reactions: Matariki
A: For the past 2000 years people have been thinking it's the end of the world and have looked to religion for answers.

B: The belief that God controls the earth and causes earth quakes is not a christian belief, it's pagan. Seeing the history between Paganism and Christianity, it is ironic that a christian will give credit to a pagan god, even though they don't know it.

The OP was asking whether the person she was talking to was right or wrong.
I gave my opinion from a Christian and biblical perspective and proved that she was an individual who had her head in clouds regarding the recent events, and that she needs to be brought down to earth and look at reality. The situation is a no-brainer regarding the earthquake. Science has the answer to this problem.

It wasn't really whether she was right or wrong. I don't believe in God (or rather I am agnostic, I think) so I don't believe what she's saying is right anyway. But I wanted to know from a Christian point of view if what she's saying makes sense.