SmartPhone Preference. | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

SmartPhone Preference.

There are only hierarchies with this sort of thing where people artificially create them. This isn't a caste system where only the wealthiest can afford the best phones while everyday folks are relegated to LG NVs or something. Modern phone elitism is akin to car brand rivalries and cola wars, i.e. it's dumb and people who obsess over it are dumb. There's not enough difference in performance or features to warrant reasonable disagreement. It's mostly preference and habit.

Now, to that point I am always interested in hearing if there are specific reasons why people prefer one model over another when superficially they seem very similar.

Yea but you gotta have the newest phone or else you're a scrub, everybody knows that

Reactions: April
@Wyote just so you know, I do see what you are talking about though. Lol

But I still like the techy phone convo. Lol.

Reactions: polybius and Wyote
Yea but you gotta have the newest phone or else you're a scrub, everybody knows that

I guess if a person gives that many fucks about status, more power to them. There just isn't enough incremental improvement in phone performance and design anymore to warrant an upgrade for the average user. Most people upgrade because they're tired of their current phone and want something "new." The biggest difference with my 8 Plus vs. the 6s Plus I had before is battery life, and storage space for my increasingly ridiculous digital music collection. Apart from that it's basically the same phone. 99% of people I encounter don't know what phone I carry and don't care. I still like reading people's opinions on their phones though.

Reactions: Wyote and April
Now, to that point I am always interested in hearing if there are specific reasons why people prefer one model over another when superficially they seem very similar.
I agree about the rivalry being stupid.

The only thing I'd say is, Google pixels are objectively crap. The google pixel 2 is too new to tell how bad it is, but the google pixel one was a pile of crap, and I'm surprised when I see someone still using one, and not waiting for weeks or months at a time for a replacement.

That's a specific reason why I'd not recommend a Google Pixel.
Another few I'd avoid:
LG G5
LG G4
LG G3
Blackberry Priv
Motorola G4/G4 Plus
Samsung Note 5
Alcatel Idol 3/4
ZTE (every single pos device they make as of yet)
Nexus 5x
Nexus 6p (unless the battery was already replaced)
iPhone 6 plus (recurring "touch disease")

There is probably more but those stand out to me due to their extremely poor design.

I guess if a person gives that many fucks about status, more power to them. There just isn't enough incremental improvement in phone performance and design anymore to warrant an upgrade for the average user. Most people upgrade because they're tired of their current phone and want something "new." The biggest difference with my 8 Plus vs. the 6s Plus I had before is battery life, and storage space for my increasingly ridiculous digital music collection. Apart from that it's basically the same phone. 99% of people I encounter don't know what phone I carry and don't care. I still like reading people's opinions on their phones though.
Hmm, well said!

Oh yea for sure, I do too. Just being a funny butt, like I do.
Me too. I like being all friendly banter with people are are strong enough to take it. Especially you!

But hey, don't come back too strong, I might cry. You know how I am...

:grin:

Reactions: Wyote
There just isn't enough incremental improvement in phone performance and design anymore to warrant an upgrade for the average user

Don't worry, the new thing is coming for us all to obsess over soon

It's more that it's just a sort of keeping up with the jones's topic, which lacks any sense of humility.

Does anyone actually care who has what kind of phone other than to place themselves into some sort of hierarchy? No.

It's humorous to poke fun at.

It does seem like the OP is as much showing off his own custom phone as truly asking our preferences, but I was still drawn to participate. As vapid as it may sound, remembering my previous phones also prompts me to remember markedly different times in my life.

remembering my previous phones also prompts me to remember markedly different times in my life.

I don't think that's vapid, it's an element of who you are which is great! I think in part that's what this thread is about which is mainly why it's engaging.

I don't think that's vapid, it's an element of who you are which is great! I think in part that's what this thread is about which is mainly why it's engaging.
Yeah as a quick anecdote, with my first cellphone I handily destroyed my chances with a potential girlfriend because I did not know that they can record incoming calls. I thought they worked like landlines so I totally blew her shit up while trying to get ahold of her. Couldn’t understand why she quickly became reluctant to engage and she was probably like hell no this dude is psycho.

Yeah as a quick anecdote, with my first cellphone I handily destroyed my chances with a potential girlfriend because I did not know that they can record incoming calls. I thought they worked like landlines so I totally blew her shit up while trying to get ahold of her. Couldn’t understand why she quickly became reluctant to engage and she was probably like hell no this dude is psycho.

lmfao whoops, sorry brah :laughing:

I used my S3 for 4 years because it was great. When I upgraded to an S6 I sold it and contued to use my S3. I got this Essential because it's awesome and affordable = value. It's gonna last me a long while. I enjoy Android because I can encrypt my and in my mind I avoid the bad business ethics of apple. IE making your phone slow so you upgrade. @Wyote nothing to do with hierarchy. That might just be your generalized projection.

Reactions: April and Wyote
@Wyote nothing to do with hierarchy. That might just be your generalized projection.

No I don't feel that way particularly myself, just presenting it as a thought because it is embedded in people's minds whether they want to admit it or not a lot of the time

Reactions: hn&#Gu and April
It does seem like the OP is as much showing off his own custom phone as truly asking our preferences, but I was still drawn to participate. As vapid as it may sound, remembering my previous phones also prompts me to remember markedly different times in my life.
Me too! I was swept down memory lane lol! INFJs always finding meaning... Lol

Reactions: hn&#Gu
I had an S2 twice in a row, then an S3, then an S5, now an S6 but I miss the S5... It was water resistant and you could replace the battery without taking it somewhere... I hate when you can't take the backs off phones... They just want us to avoid replacing the battery and upgrade.

Reactions: flower and Wyote
No I don't feel that way particularly myself, just presenting it as a thought because it is embedded in people's minds whether they want to admit it or not a lot of the time

I agree that's a good point. Sometimes my instincts come out and I need to remind myself to chill. Usually at work I see the dominance hierarchy and understand the social dynamic. One guy whom I call Billy the gorilla. He'll play his alpha male game and I tend to squash it before it goes to far between myself and other co-workers, trying to keep the peace. Or I'll egg it on sometimes just for fun to watch what happens. It really depends how I'm feeling hahaha.

I had an S2 twice in a row, then an S3, then an S5, now an S6 but I miss the S5... It was water resistant and you could replace the battery without taking it somewhere... I hate when you can't take the backs off phones... They just want us to avoid replacing the battery and upgrade.

That's a good point I don't like that either. The one I have now is sealed and it's something that bothers me.