[PAX] - Self Avatars | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

[PAX] Self Avatars

I have an intuitive idea of how April looks like, yet I would also like ot confirm it lol.

ok Skathac and Roger i'll pm you. nobody else tho!

Reactions: Fluffball
@Quinlan: how come your avatar isn't a self portrait you sexy dog!?

do you think good looking people are more likely to see their face as part of their identity? whereas people that aren't so good looking might want to distance themselves from what they actually look like, so their identity is completely unrelated to how they look.

I think it has more to do with openness, although I don't doubt some people like to flaunt their appearance. It's also probably a way to get out of their comfort zone for some people.

Why do/don't you have a self avatar?
Do you like it when other people have a self avatar? Does it help you relate to them more?

I rather dislike such avatars. They ruin one of the things I like the most about Internet. Anonymity, the psychological distance and detachment. When someone's face is on display it automatically personalizes the exchange and communication. It also weirds me out, because I can't imagine why would someone compromise their privacy like that. Having your pictures freely available online is a risky business.

I've used a photo of myself as an avatar in the past.

I don't think photos of me are the best representation of who I am as a person, but neither is a picture of a house or a screencap from a film or anything else visual that I can think of. I don't really think much of what I put in my avatar for that reason. I just put whatever I feel like looking at at the time.

I also don't find myself especially good-looking. I just think people on the internet should have faces; it makes everything seem more personable, I think. I suppose I was more comfortable at the time setting a photo of myself as my avatar than posting it in the members' photos thread.

Last edited:
I rather dislike such avatars. They ruin one of the things I like the most about Internet. Anonymity, the psychological distance and detachment. When someone's face is on display it automatically personalizes the exchange and communication. It also weirds me out, because I can't imagine why would someone compromise their privacy like that. Having your pictures freely available online is a risky business.

And people with cameras could take your pic in public and use them for stuff too! Might as well lock up in the house.

I dunno, I have no problem showing my photo, I want people to know who I am. My goal isn't to hide my identity, it is to grow, and that involves me exposing myself. I could do so without ever showing a picture, but I think it is more enriching, as you said. It all depends on what your goals and expectations are. Some are here to escape reality, some don't see any difference, some seek to enhance reality.

That being said, I don't think that it is bad either way. If you wish to remain anonymous, by all means that is your right!

I think if I was a woman I would be more reserved just due to the nature of male creeps, which seem to be more abundant than female creeps. Our job is to keep the creeps out.

There's no anonyminity here peppermint.
Any freak can track you down by your IP address if they knew how.
Which is why I wield a bowstaff. At all times.

Last edited:
Wow, some people are seriously up in arms over using photos as avatars. Lighten up.

As for me, I've done both: photo and representative picture. It's all about what strikes my fancy. There is my pic in my profile too.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
And people with cameras could take your pic in public and use them for stuff too! Might as well lock up in the house

And indeed, I duck whenever I spot a camera coming near. :p

acd said:
There's no anonyminity here peppermint.
Any freak can track you down by your IP address if they knew how.

Stalking is always a possibility, whether we're talking about online or real life, but isn't the same as willingly disclosing personal information which, at least for me isn't a preference.

Last edited:
I use what ever avatar I currently have as my default on facebook. For me, I don't like hiding behind some kind of cover and prefer to be as honest and open as I can. I feel people connect more when you can actually see the person. Putting a name to face is important to me.

I use what ever avatar I currently have as my default on facebook. For me, I don't like hiding behind some kind of cover and prefer to be as honest and open as I can. I feel people connect more when you can actually see the person. Putting a name to face is important to me.

But maybe my face is the thing that is the cover/barrier?

I think if I was a woman I would be more reserved just due to the nature of male creeps, which seem to be more abundant than female creeps. Our job is to keep the creeps out.

BOOOOOO!!!
That statement really deserves a public shaming.

I haven't used my face here, but I've photoshop'd my hair onto a lightbulb. That was mostly for fun. I like how I look, and I might end up changing my avatar to me. I'm just really starting to like the lightbulb theme.

Reactions: Blind Bandit