Right or Privilege? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Right or Privilege?

I'm not allowed to do policing. :( That's what the coppers said as they informed me they broke open a guys skull for punching mum.

I'm not allowed to do policing. :( That's what the coppers said as they informed me they broke open a guys skull for punching mum.

That's because you get the right to police when someone appoints it to you but not when you feel like it.

Same as sex.

True. That's the fine line between voluntary intercourse and rape.

A Right is something we have, that noone can remove.
A Privilege is something we're given, that can be removed.

I think you have mixed up the definitions. A king rules the country by the self-appointed or inherited privilege and none can legally challenge his power. A president rules by right and can be revoked by the people.

Is it rape if I have sex with the wife while she's asleep?

Also, what do I do if the husband wakes up?

True. That's the fine line between voluntary intercourse and rape.

I think you have mixed up the definitions. A king rules the country by the self-appointed or inherited privilege and none can legally challenge his power. A president rules by right and can be revoked by the people.

the only laws are the laws of the physical universe

Is it rape if I have sex with the wife while she's asleep?

Also, what do I do if the husband wakes up?

I fought with my law teacher about this in 9th grade until I got kicked out of class. I feel that the marriage vows make the accusation of rape absurd.

Our rights were defined in the constitution.

What about before the Constitution was written, wouldn't the same human rights have existed then?

I fought with my law teacher about this in 9th grade until I got kicked out of class. I feel that the marriage vows make the accusation of rape absurd.

I respectfully disagree. A husband can rape a wife - and a wife can rape a husband. It's not the act, it's the emotions behind the act.

Violation is violation.

I respectfully disagree. A husband can rape a wife - and a wife can rape a husband. It's not the act, it's the emotions behind the act.

Violation is violation.

Rape can happen within marriage, though it is usually coupled with abuse in general.

I have a suggestion for the world: don't marry someone that you do not want to have sex with.

I have a better suggestion for the world: don't marry someone who is abusive.

Easier said than done, I know. This doesn't necessarily apply in other countries or arranged marriages.

I don't think it makes much sense to consider it a right (not that I'm very keen on "inherent" rights to begin with), because health care is something that must be provided by other people. In other words, it takes action to violate rights like life and liberty, while a right to health care would be violated by inaction. And who is to blame for inaction?
Very well put, and precisely accurate.

Rights which require people to abstain from actions, in order to protect the rights of others are called "negative" rights. (IE: you lose the freedom to kill me, I lose the freedom to steal from you, etc...)

Rights which require people to provide things to you are known as "positive" rights, and very arguably aren't aren't rights at all. This includes everything paid for by taxes, essentially. Though, even the founding fathers thought things like roads, courts, police, and national defense are rightly paid for by taxes, because they ultimately protect the freedom of everyone. Not necessarily something I agree with, but a point worth considering.

These two principles butt heads...
When positive and negative rights conflict.

Last edited:
I've been trying to move out of the US for a couple years. While I don't agree that health care is particularly an inherent right I think it comes close if the country in question has the means to make it happen. I already pay what I consider an extraneous amount of taxes. If they want to cut back on taxes or eliminate them fine that would be optimal, but if they insists on gouging me I think they should at least afford me a check up every so often. Though I also think privatized health care should be an option for those who can afford it.

Healthcare seems to be a privilege based on someone else would need to give you that care. And to force someone to care for you could potentially be a violation of thier rights (unless that person was a slave).

I think it is every citizen's right to receive healthcare. No one should go without it, especially since so many health conditions are a result of pollution or crap processed foods--things that are sanctioned by the government. Citizens give their lives by living lawfully and working hard to keep their nation going. Therefore, ethically, I think everyone deserves healthcare, even if it comes from my taxes.

People don't bitch nearly enough about shelling out their tax dollars to police other nations or go to war, but godforbid anyone agree to their taxes going to keeping people healthy and alive.

Last edited:

Kinda agree. In any marriage where it's understood that you cannot get sex outside the marriage, the partner has a monopoly on your sex. If the partner has a monopoly on providing sex, then any time you desire or require sex the partner should provide it.

also, you misunderstood the joke... the person asking the question isn't the husband, the husband is lying asleep next to the wife.

Kinda agree. In any marriage where it's understood that you cannot get sex outside the marriage, the partner has a monopoly on your sex. If the partner has a monopoly on providing sex, then any time you desire or require sex the partner should provide it.

also, you misunderstood the joke... the person asking the question isn't the husband, the husband is lying asleep next to the wife.

I understood the joke once I finished reading it. I'm spontaneous, I started typing my response halfway through. :m183:

EDIT: And at the very least, I think calling such a situation "rape" is sort of belittling the brutality and depravity of "actual" rape victims.

To swing us back on topic. Not being raped is a right, unless you're married, then a corollary is added. Not being raped is a right, but not being raped by your husband is only a privilege.

Last edited:
No. Not being raped when you can and will defend against it is a right.

Believe me I would if I wasn't married to such a mamas boy! I have been ready to leave this country for the better part of ten years, but he loves his mommy...Personally I think the distance would do him some good...I don't particularly care for my family, and im sure the feeling is quite mutual...

wow. im totally curious.

EVERYONE wants to leave my country (and I don't blame them) alot off people are moving to Canada, US, UK and Australia mainly.

It is odd to see Americans complain about their country...

SO many people that I know wished they could live in USA. When you live in "the greatest country on earth" where the hell do you move? Certainly not Africa - trust me on that.

Personally I want to immigrate to Canada / Vancouver.

Last edited:
America isn't the greatest nation on earth. They've just got good Public Relations.

New Zealand or Canada is.

America isn't the greatest nation on earth. They've just got good Public Relations.

New Zealand or Canada is.

i know. i wouldnt even say america has good public relations either if you look at their foreign policy of the last 4 years. :p

im convinced america has wars to learn geography. :p

Last edited: