Restlessness and INFJ | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Restlessness and INFJ

alcyone said:
Does anyone else do stuff like that? Work and work and work until you are exhausted and ready to drop?

Yes actually I just did this to myself this week....I have been working really hard at work getting very little sleep and last night I planned on working a night shift too and my body gave me a fever and told me so sit the F down and shut the F up! I pushed me way to hard and i got told about it!

entyqua said:
Yes actually I just did this to myself this week....I have been working really hard at work getting very little sleep and last night I planned on working a night shift too and my body gave me a fever and told me so sit the F down and shut the F up! I pushed me way to hard and i got told about it!

Yup, my body just did that same thing to me too.

Unfortunately, I have to mow the lawn and pull the weeds tommorrow. And will most likely relapse. Oh well. Someone has to do the work.

alcyone said:
entyqua said:

Yup, my body just did that same thing to me too.

Unfortunately, I have to mow the lawn and pull the weeds tommorrow. And will most likely relapse. Oh well. Someone has to do the work.

Thats right! LOL BTW I am originally from NE GO HUSKERS! LOL

entyqua said:

I'm originally from Wisconsin! GO BADGERS!

At least no one bothers me when I am wearing my red and white. There are some rabid fans here!

alcyone said:
entyqua said:

I'm originally from Wisconsin! GO BADGERS!

At least no one bothers me when I am wearing my red and white. There are some rabid fans here!
ROFLMAO!! Yea I grew up so far away from it though its just more of an afterthought anymore! LOL but yea they are pretty rabid out there!

This is how I feel usually: Restless.

I feel like I should be living some other life. But I don't know whether I want to be a rugged humanitarian adventurer: Or a married woman with a child. Weird.

My life is good, now. I rent a nice little cottage on a lake with a huge tree and flower filled yard, but I don't enjoy it. It's almost too nice for just me. I like both of my jobs. I have plenty of supportive and fun friends and an active social life-- I have great family. But it doesn't seem to be enough. Relationships don't do it for me, they never cure me of the restlessness.. Maybe I just need to learn to be more grateful?

But I feel my life is monotonous (as if being married with kids would be any less.) I just have no idea what I want. I'd like to learn how to just be happy in the present moment instead of feeling like I'm waiting for something better. I almost feel like my life hasn't really begun yet, and yet I'm not making any plans for the beginning.. It's like I'm waiting to be fulfilled, but I'm the only one who can make the plans to go out and fulfill myself. hmmm.

Last edited:
I'm restless. Every little irritating thought has to fully explored, examined, emotionally searched and put to bed before I can successfully return to the real world. Each little grain of sand that irritates my shell must be turned into a pearl of wisdom. I spend all day wrestling with emotions and motives and ideas. There is *always* some noble ideal I haven't managed to live up to. :m075: It's exhausting! I need about 9 more lifetimes to accomplish enough to feel at peace with the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lune Froide
I have horrible restlessness! I am sure it doesn't help that my moon sign is Sagittarius... I am the type that wanted something yesterday, before I even knew about it. I cannot rest until everything is in order and decided upon and I have to weigh each option carefully as if it is a matter of life and death. I'd say to sum all this up...I am afraid of making a mistake!

I would love to just hop on a plane and flee...just have some time to sit down and recharge my batteries... I daydream about it all the time! Even with all my stress, when I can just pick up and leave, sometimes I decide against it as I think I have too many loose ends (when in reality I may not).

Hang in there! :m107:

Does anyone else do stuff like that? Work and work and work until you are exhausted and ready to drop?

I do it constantly! Sometimes I stay up until 4 AM trying to plan things and make sure my future is on the right track. Needless to say...I have a lot of trouble sleeping... lol Plus, any little sound wakes me up when I do get to sleep!
:m050:

I'm restless. Every little irritating thought has to fully explored, examined, emotionally searched and put to bed before I can successfully return to the real world. Each little grain of sand that irritates my shell must be turned into a pearl of wisdom. I spend all day wrestling with emotions and motives and ideas. There is *always* some noble ideal I haven't managed to live up to. :m075: It's exhausting! I need about 9 more lifetimes to accomplish enough to feel at peace with the world.
This is [explicative] beautiful.

I can relate to the feeling of restlessness. For me it manifests itself in a strong urge to run as fast as I can, faster than I could actually run in reality, and leave myself behind. When I imagine this I can actually see my body pulling away and leaving my old "self" behind as I run faster and faster. What I pull away to become or where I go I couldn't tell you, the thought never goes that far.

Last edited:
I've always wanted to do something amazing, different, breathtaking, wonderful, spectacular, unbelievable, new -- ever since I could imagine what could be down the road. I'm constantly coming up with future plans...very few of which ever manifest, but I don't think I could ever be happy in "society." I hate being tied down....restlessness is a natural state of mind

Are we restless?
And yet my rationale side restricts me. For good reason. But the desire is still there. Anyone else ever restless? Is it a stress thing, or does the INFJ have an insatiable appetite for adventure locked away somewhere? I have this feeling there is something better out there, some great calling awaiting my answer . . .

I think that's normal for us, after all, we are the ones with the imagination. Every time I have to stop for a train I want to just jump it and go wherever it takes me. 'Into The Wild' brought up so many emotions for me, but I totally understood why he did that and I actually envied him. I know a woman who makes major bucks, raises horses, scuba dives, takes martial arts, sails, ski's, can socialize with strangers as if she knows they are all going to think she's awesome. She also travels a lot. She parties with a whole crowd of friends. I would like to be like that too but I know deep down it wouldn't work for me. The flip side of this person is that she thinks she knows it all, she's a bit pompous, everyone has to measure up to her ideals, and she's pretty aggressive when something doesn't please her.

"Into the Wild" -- I loved that book (or, at least the thought of it). We had to read it for class, and most of the rest of my grade did not understand why someone would do that.....I couldn't understand why someone wouldn't want to

Reactions: Wyote
Ah yes.

There's so much I want to do, I feel as if I was meant for something much greater...

Are we restless? At least, do we become so when we are loaded down?

In spite of how calm I feel, and mostly appear, I am restless by nature. My inner peace has been ruffled a bit by circumstances and stringent schedules of late, and I long to be free from this . . . ridiculous insanity. I was always a bit restless before. I've had impulsive desires to hop on a plane with nothing and trek through India and southern Asia. Just because.

And yet my rationale side restricts me. For good reason. But the desire is still there. Anyone else ever restless? Is it a stress thing, or does the INFJ have an insatiable appetite for adventure locked away somewhere? I have this feeling there is something better out there, some great calling awaiting my answer . . .

I feels so relieved by this. Just last year I was decided in living everything and traveling the world with no money at all. I'm very restless, I also feel like I'm missing something important in my life. I can't imagine thinking that I will end up in a 9-5 job and stay settled in a place. I long for adventure so badly. I want to become like those warriors that you see in chinese movies and just live the life of a lone wolf LOL. It's too fantasious I know but I can't stand reality sometimes.(sigh)

Last edited:
Every now and again, since before I can remember, I will get strong, terrifying passing feelings of not being in the right place doing the right thing. That there's something huge and invisible I'm missing and that wherever I am is absolutely not where I should be.

I try to quell the sensation as soon as it comes. If I let it linger, I end up enormously disturbed. It shakes me.

Between these periods though, I always tend to feel like I'm spending too much time treading water with my life.

Every now and again, since before I can remember, I will get strong, terrifying passing feelings of not being in the right place doing the right thing. That there's something huge and invisible I'm missing and that wherever I am is absolutely not where I should be.

I try to quell the sensation as soon as it comes. If I let it linger, I end up enormously disturbed. It shakes me.

Between these periods though, I always tend to feel like I'm spending too much time treading water with my life.

I get this too.

What helps me is by looking at past experiences dealing with this. The feelings I have had like this were somewhat well-founded, however were grossly blown out of proportion. In hindsight though, I was worring over nothing. I take that notion and try to apply it to situations where I feel like I am not doing enough. It calms me down, and later after I pass through the conflict I am going through at the time, I find that yet again I had nothing to fret about it.

Yeah, exactly -- I've been getting these as long as I can remember. It's like my life is moved forward by these sensations

Sometimes I wonder about all the adventures I'm missing out on and masterpieces that go uncreated as I'm busy trying to live up to expectations of people that don't value the same things that I do.

As usual, you've expressed precisely what the rest of us struggle to put into words.

I find that having the ability to design my own life goes a long way toward reducing my restlessness. It is much easier to live within the constraints of poverty than to try to live up to the expectations of people who don't share my values. Of course I'm not creating any masterpieces, but I'm working on it. Most of my adventures take place in my head, but at least they're there to be had.