Procrastination | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Procrastination

From what I've read about type, ENFPs struggle with procrastination the most.

I struggle with procrastination too... mostly because of perfectionism. Because I want to do something perfectly and I'm not sure how to do it perfectly, I will put off getting started. I spend way too much time in my head planning out HOW I am going to do something. I try to develop a perfect/foolproof system for accomplishing my goal in the fastest, most efficient manner.

Over the years, I have had to learn that sometimes "just do it" is the only/best method available. :m097:

yes,perfectionism - I also have it .But I guess you are right , 'just do it' is the best method.

I'd like to answer that right now, but I'll have to get back to you.............

That's funny... I didn't even realize it was a joke! *blush*

Well, I'm an INFJ that does not procrastinate...life has not afforded me that luxury. I used to have weekly deadlines at work, so the process had to move along without delays in order to have a timely outcome. I don't have such rigid deadlines now, but I do have to perform up to spec, so the same mechanisms are still in place. Raising a family meant I had to be "mission control" most of the time, too.

I do this all the time.

I do it because I like to hide my quality work. But why I hide it is beyond me at this point.

Well, this is something which I know about intimately. I am a big time procrastinator but interestingly I procrastinate more when it is related to something personal. When it is work-related I tend to fulfill my 'obligations'-I just wouldn't dream of letting asnyone else down(I'm a teacher so I have to have my s*** together!) However if the only person I'm letting down is myself I can do so big time!!. One would think that it was most important to be true to oneself and keep the faith, so to speak but oh, no, I can avoid for eons. I find little 'to-do' notes that I wrote a year or two ago and ,by golly, I could still embark on these tasks because they're still awaiting. YIKES! And given my 'mature' status' I'm despairing of ever changing. I also can't throw many things away because I'm going to 'deal with them' any day now. Ha, ha, ha. It's quite embarassing!

Procrastination is something everyone has experienced at least once in their lives. I was wondering if INFJs suffer more from this problem than other people.

I can't say for everyone, but I'm sure EVERYONE procrastinates...we, just take it in a different manner.........

But on a more serios note, I have been having trouble with procrastination for years now . No matter how hard I try I just can't do my stuff on time . This becomes especially anoing when I have to study for an exam and I delay this for days and days and then I realize there is no time left.

I am trying to find new ways of avoiding this self-defeating behaviour . Someone suggested that procrastination is more linked to fellings of anxiety rather then on actually being lazy.
Anyway, I too have noticed that I am most productive when I am absolutly stressed out of my mind , or in other words , I do stuff only when I really really need to do them. This is a very sad perspective in my opinion ,especially when you are in a very competitive academic environment .

Yes, thus procrastination has nothing to do with the time limit, nor homework burden...you procrastinate right from the start! You just can't do it, you have to Want to do it....

yes,perfectionism - I also have it .But I guess you are right , 'just do it' is the best method.

The process may actually help in breaking down the epic journey into small steps. Day One: visit the library. Day Two. Write two pages of notes. Day three, not pick up a pen and just think about it.

It becomes like effective weight loss, jog a mile and reward yourself with an ice cream. :D

You then, can become a happy procrastinator................:D

i like to get things done as soon as possible. especially in school and all those homeworks, my tutor always taught me to do the hard tasks first and then follow it up with the easiest tasks and then, the spare time is all yours:m154:

i guess i adapted to it ahahahaha if i have time, i'll even do my projects 2 weeks before the deadline

BUT recently, i started procrastinating ahahahahahahaha hihihihihi maybe because school work is really stressful:m185:... and i don't even have time to sleep that's why i get like big big:m067: big big big eyebags:m033: :( :( :(

last october to november, we had long tests and a lot of quizzes and we had ballet rehearsals and cheerdance practices... and my schedule was :m181:messed up and i don't know how to organize this and that

and so.........

i became a super procrastinator!!!! tadaa!!!!!!

ahahahahah i have 2 methods...

1. after i go home from cheerdance practice, around 7pm, i'll rest because i'm super tired and so i'll wake up around nine then i'll study until 12 or 1

2. after i go home from cheerdance/ ballet practice that's around 7 to 8 i'll sleep because i'm too :m093:tired.. then i'll wake up 3 in the morning to study then i'll have to prepare for school at around 6

and if both methods won't work, i won't eat recess or lunch..:m159: i will go to the library and study alone
:m095:
ahahhahaha:m119:

i like to get things done as soon as possible. especially in school and all those homeworks, my tutor always taught me to do the hard tasks first and then follow it up with the easiest tasks and then, the spare time is all yours:m154:

i guess i adapted to it ahahahaha if i have time, i'll even do my projects 2 weeks before the deadline

BUT recently, i started procrastinating ahahahahahahaha hihihihihi maybe because school work is really stressful:m185:... and i don't even have time to sleep that's why i get like big big:m067: big big big eyebags:m033: :( :( :(

last october to november, we had long tests and a lot of quizzes and we had ballet rehearsals and cheerdance practices... and my schedule was :m181:messed up and i don't know how to organize this and that

and so.........

i became a super procrastinator!!!! tadaa!!!!!!

ahahahahah i have 2 methods...

1. after i go home from cheerdance practice, around 7pm, i'll rest because i'm super tired and so i'll wake up around nine then i'll study until 12 or 1

2. after i go home from cheerdance/ ballet practice that's around 7 to 8 i'll sleep because i'm too :m093:tired.. then i'll wake up 3 in the morning to study then i'll have to prepare for school at around 6

and if both methods won't work, i won't eat recess or lunch..:m159: i will go to the library and study alone
:m095:
ahahhahaha:m119:
lol, i think you are one happy procrastinator.

lol, i think you are one happy procrastinator.

ahahahahaha actually, :m130: i don't know why i'm happy
maybe because i'm tired of being not happy :mpff:!?!?!? hihihi

... it's been like about 3 days.. :m124:it feels sooo good!!!!!!

hihihihihi *hug!!!!!! hug hug hug and another hug!!! *:mlove2:

I thought procrastination was an expression of my P side, so i thought 'Oh well, it's because I'm half INFP'.

I do it badly when it comes to projects that are only important for myself. I start up tons of stuff that I takes years to finish or don't finish at all. Once or twice a month I have to say to myself 'Ok, I resign - I'm not going to finish this'.

On the other hand! When other people depend on what I do, like at work or in other situations, I hate being late. I go out of my way to finish stuff as early as I can. Several days before the deadline if possible.

Yes! I am doing exactly that right now, and should really not be typing this, but what the heck..... :)
I find it extremely difficult to work through period of loneliness/depression, but especially depression. At the same time, this isn't something that can be controlled; it just seems to strike me spontaneously, so it also isn't something that I can prepare for or avoid. If I knew what triggered it, then perhaps I could do something to prevent it. I have noticed that I tend to procrastinate more when I'm in a state of deep melancholy, and that this only aggravates matters and makes me feel worser for it. I'll often go and do something which intensifies my feelings and makes me feel even sadder (e.g. actively looking for melancholic, meaningful music to listen to which is in keeping with my depressive mood), when this is the complete opposite of what I should be doing. Conversely, doing something that goes against what I feel naturally inclined to do e.g. listening to positive, upbeat music cheers me up somewhat and drives me out of my melancholic mood. I hadn't noticed this until recently when I realised how much better I felt after hearing an upbeat, optimistic song on the radio, and it was only then that I realised what I had been doing to compound my misery. Even so, I'm rather sad, in a different sense of the word :)D), and prefer instead to suffer through the emotional pain rather than cure my depression.

...Yeah. Guess what I'm doing right now, too! :|

sometimes I feel like being need to get kicked on the back to start SOMETHING. D: Or until something bad happens and I have to do something.....

*headdesk*

I don't procrastinate, I call it planned laziness. Actually, that would explain it for me. I realize how long something will take me to complete (usually) and plan to do it at the latest possible moment; for example I do my fourth period homework in third. I find that when I procrastinate, my perfectionism doesn't kick in at all, I just give myself a pat on the back and say "Well...this is the best you could do with the time allotted." I guess it's a way of side stepping my perfectionism .

Yeah I started to write a poem about this that I have not finished. I'll get to it.....later:m044: