Preacher man burning Qurans & deathsquadmania | INFJ Forum

Preacher man burning Qurans & deathsquadmania

just me

Feb 8, 2009
MBTI
infj
Most have heard by now the hype and warnings of the burning of Qurans, I would think. There is a big deal also about a few American soldiers killing civilians in Afghanistan. The State Department is concerned about the blowback of the burning and has issued pleas and warnings not to do so, along with military leaders stating it could cause our military problems overseas. They are now saying the few soldiers that killed a few civilians will cause great harm.

When I weigh in the balances with a blind eye all that has happened and is happening around the world concerning this stuff, I cannot help but feel sickened.:m100:

One guy burns a few Qurans? Another will burn a few Bibles, no doubt. Killing civilians is wrong, but it happens all over the world every day. Doesn't make it right. Make a big political statement out of it? What about all the suicide bombs? What about the incoming into civilian populations in Israel every day by their enemies?

I do not have a cold heart, but give me a break somewhere here. That's all I have to say about that.

how could burning qurans be helpful to anybody in anyway? if you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

link? i actually haven't heard.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703453804575479573649222094.html

And it's ridiculous to tempt retaliation in this way, IMO. Protesting is one thing. But too many Americans have a false idea of retaliation; they believe other countries will behave as they do. No, sorry. An American may get upset when they see someone burn a Bible, but this is not the case for the Quran in many fundamentalist countries.

If even a single drawn picture or negative saying of Muhammad brings about someone's death warrant (Remember Mr. Rushdie--?) then don't you think the burning of their holy book will be a far greater sin, with far greater implications?

It's foolish to think it won't.

I'm actually extremely upset by this. Burning a holy book is one of the most utter forms of disrespect. And given the state of relations between the West and Muslim populations, how could someone deliberately act in a way that will surely incite further worldwide outrage?

I'm sorry for whatever pain or fear he feels that's led him to this point, I really am, and in some strange way I feel for him, but I feel deeply furious and sad. *sigh*

Last edited:
Reactions: Inquisitive
If only people were half as upset over Churches being destroyed, Christians being beaten for no other reason then being Christians and honor killings of converts. Maybe then I would care about a preacher burning a book

If only people were half as upset over Churches being destroyed, Christians being beaten for no other reason then being Christians and honor killings of converts. Maybe then I would care about a preacher burning a book

I shouldn't be but I'm surprised you, of all people, aren't more upset by this on the principle of religious persecution and aren't expressing greater sensitivity to the topic.

Hatred and violence toward ANY religion or belief system are unacceptable and have never been limited to one religious group in our world. Christians have and continue to suffer as do Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Sikhs, Pagans, and so on and so forth. Injustice and suffering are not limited to any population, nor is caring - or, nor should it be.

Not only that, but many of us are outraged (well, I personally am) by the political implications of this event. He's not really just "burning a book".

Normally I wouldn't get up in arms over something like this, but with the way things have been going in this world, I really am loathe to think of the implications this may have in terms of future attacks and general outbreaks of violence and protest for such an act.

Everyone is persecuted for their beliefs somewhere in the world every minute of every day. But I feel like this particular preacher is really sending the wrong message by burning the holy book of another religion.

Christianity should be of peace and love. That's it. Retaliating on September 11th by burning the Quran makes Christians look bad. Especially Christians living in the USA.

It's actually embarrassing.

I shouldn't be but I'm surprised you, of all people, aren't more upset by this on the principle of religious persecution and aren't expressing greater sensitivity to the topic.

Hatred and violence toward ANY religion or belief system are unacceptable and have never been limited to one religious group in our world. Christians have and continue to suffer as do Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Sikhs, Pagans, and so on and so forth. Injustice and suffering are not limited to any population, nor is caring - or, nor should it be.

Not only that, but many of us are outraged (well, I personally am) by the political implications of this event. He's not really just "burning a book".

If you call that hatred and violence then you know nothing of persecution, this kind of crap that makes the morning headline while people are dying for no other reason then believing.

How about the priest who's church was bombed and parents were murdered?

How about the convert who was murdered and his children abducted?

What about the Aid workers who were killed?

What about the pastor who is sitting in Jail?

sorry if find the news that a book was burned insignificant, there are far bigger things to be concerned with.

If you call that hatred and violence then you know nothing of persecution, this kind of crap that makes the morning headline while people are dying for no other reason then believing.

sorry if find the news that a book was burned insignificant, there are far bigger things to be concerned with.

I see what you're getting at Barnabas. I have seen truly terrible things about Christians being horribly abused and persecuted in other countries. But we never seem to hear much about that over here in North America. Burning a holy book is completely disrespectful and doesn't send a good message, but I do understand that this isn't true horror or violence like you may see elsewhere.

the symbolism is extremely hateful though, it's like burning a country's flag on their national day. it incites further, more radical counter-violence. it's akin to someone insulting you verbally before they punch you in the face - sure, the words themselves didn't technically do any damage, but they led to something much worse, and so could be considered a catalyst.

people hold ideas close their hearts, political and religious ideas moreso than most. to destroy the symbols of those ideas is to attack the foundation of their whole persona, which can be quite risky and even cruel.

Last edited:
A complete non-issue and a distraction. More reason to hate the mainstream media. We must be close to an election all the "racist" stuff is coming out again.

It's a book. When people get all butt hurt over someone protesting their religion, it's my belief that they need to rethink their anger.

This guy is an idiot, but so is everyone who gets pissed off and "retaliates" to the burnings. A drawing of Muhammad sets off violence, and it's ridiculous. I don't think idiots should be urged to stop doing stupid things when it will initiate violence in idiots
who get so emotionally invested in a picture (or in this case a book) and get so angry.
My question is why aren't the radical Christians worried about funding the "terrorists" by buying Qurans. (it's a joke!)

A complete non-issue and a distraction. More reason to hate the mainstream media. We must be close to an election all the "racist" stuff is coming out again.

this is probably true too.

the symbolism is extremely hateful though, it's like burning a country's flag on their national day. it incites further, more radical counter-violence. it's akin to someone insulting you verbally before they punch you in the face - sure, the words themselves didn't technically do any damage, but they led to something much worse, and so could be considered a catalyst.

people hold ideas close their hearts, political and religious ideas moreso than most. to destroy the symbols of those ideas is to attack the foundation of their whole persona, which can be quite risky and even cruel.

More symbolic then the bombing of a church, I get what the point is and I understand why people are upset. But it doesn't make the truth of the situation hurt any less, that burning a book is more offensive then burning a person. I often wonder if it would be better to be comfortably numb.

Last edited:
More symbolic the bombing a church, I get what the point is and I understand why people are upset. But it doesn't make the truth of the situation hurt any less, that burning a book is more offensive then burning a person. I often wonder if it would be better to be comfortably numb.

it's not that it's more offensive than a person being burned, but consider why people are killed in the name of religion in the first place? it doesn't just happen, people don't just react like that, it's usually in retaliation to a lesser slight, like burning a book. (alternatively it's in response to a more hidden cause, like economic unrest). regardless, the way to stop such violence from occurring isn't (only?) to punish those who commit the crimes, it's to trace and eliminate the source of the problem, which is a more insignificant conflict of interest, over something usually unrelated (like racism maybe.)

anyway, i seriously doubt it'd be better to be comfortably numb about such things. that people care so deeply to be incited into violence also indicates they could be moved to respond more compassionately. human nature can go both ways imo :)

it's not that it's more offensive than a person being burned, but consider why people are killed in the name of religion in the first place? it doesn't just happen, people don't just react like that, it's usually in retaliation to a lesser slight, like burning a book. (alternatively it's in response to a more hidden cause, like economic unrest). regardless, the way to stop such violence from occurring isn't (only?) to punish those who commit the crimes, it's to trace and eliminate the source of the problem, which is a more insignificant conflict of interest, over something usually unrelated (like racism maybe.)

anyway, i seriously doubt it'd be better to be comfortably numb about such things. that people care so deeply to be incited into violence also indicates they could be moved to respond more compassionately. human nature can go both ways imo :)

Funny thing is, nobody cares about the problem.

Yes, these acts and others like them are horrible and unfortunately happen daily. I think it's fair to say that many people are upset by them as well; I know I certainly am. I don't think, however, that the atrocities you speak of should take away from the significance of the event we are discussing in this thread, which has the potential to further spur the very injustices you listed and others like them.

Last edited:
Yes, these acts and others like them are horrible and unfortunately happen daily. I think it's fair to say that many people are upset by them as well; I know I certainly am. I don't think, however, that the atrocities you speak of should take away from the significance of the event we are discussing in this thread, which has the potential to further spur the very injustices you listed and others like them.

no one weeps, for no one will play the dirge