Personality type and speaking style | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Personality type and speaking style

INFJ-type videos on youtube?

Do you have any links of said videos? I will search if not, but I hope that you can elaborate.

Here's a link to a few different personality types on video (through this forum, funny enough). Er, ignore the "bears" title...

As for me, I'm usually very soft spoken when I'm in a group with folks I don't know, and I have a deeper timbre for a female (I still sing second soprano, though). I've been told my voice is very soothing...I think I have a hypnotic voice, maybe.

But when I'm with friends I'm usually talking faster than I can think (family trait) and I can mix up words like no one's business. It's weird, but I seem more calm with people I don't know than with people I do know.

Maybe I'm thinking too much. :p

Don't INFJ's speak in a monotonous manner?

I do, but in my case it's called having a New Zealand accent. :lol: Although a lot of Kiwis seem to think my accent is a hybrid of New Zealand and German. :confused:

Like others have said, I do tend to mumble (although it could be my accent) and often get told to speak more clearly and slower. I tend to speak very softly and quietly (unless I'm angry), especially if I'm making a request to someone. I also often get my words mixed up or speak in spoonerisms.

I have a soft voice, I do speak accurately and well. I had speech therapy because I said things funny. I speak louder in a group but not the screechy way some people do. Thanks for the acting lessons. I have an unusual type of accent because I went to a Brit school in Holland. I have recorded books for a short time for instructional use. My friends want me to read or tell them stories. I am working on a project recording stories for friends and family. Most of my friends tell me my voice is relaxing. I have the ability to use different voices and have one people pay me not to use because it bothers them. I am bad at accents though. I went to classes to Americanize my accent because it does make some things difficult, but they are expensive and it feels weird to talk that way. What I don't like is hearing myself talk on recordings. I sound really young, like twelve. In my head I have a nice alto voice. I like my illusion.

I sound really young, like twelve. In my head I have a nice alto voice.

Thank you Arbygil. And, I sound incredibly young when I speak as well Dutchcake.

Here's a link to a few different personality types on video (through this forum, funny enough). Er, ignore the "bears" title...

As for me, I'm usually very soft spoken when I'm in a group with folks I don't know, and I have a deeper timbre for a female (I still sing second soprano, though). I've been told my voice is very soothing...I think I have a hypnotic voice, maybe.

But when I'm with friends I'm usually talking faster than I can think (family trait) and I can mix up words like no one's business. It's weird, but I seem more calm with people I don't know than with people I do know.

Maybe I'm thinking too much. :p

i do the same!

This is when I'm in public or uncomfortable, but I tend to speak softly, and maybe a bit slowly. I'm kind of a mumbler sometimes. :mtap: People usually have to ask me to speak-up @__@;

My voice is still a bit low when I'm in a comfortable/familiar atmosphere. I might talk a little bit faster. Sometimes I like to play with words by using the wrong emphasis XD;

I have tendencies to use weird speech patterns, or to use 'Uh,' and 'Um,' alot. All of those 'Hold on, I'm thinking!' sounds XD

Last edited:
i think our eyes kind of dart around as we search for the right words or meanings

i think our eyes kind of dart around as we search for the right words or meanings

yup that is a big one. I made a video recently talking about being an infj and posted it in my blog page. And someone made a comment about that and made me notice it. alot of infj's do that.

Hee! Me three. It's really bad when you're talking to someone and you're suddenly wondering if you're looking around too much.

The only time I don't look around when I talk is when I'm angry, or if I feel passionately about something.

Hmmm... I don't think I mumble, but I do tend to speak on the quieter side. I definitely pause to search for the right words. I also tend to take the scenic route when explaining things, filling in back-story and adding plenty of parenthetical side comments, and by the time I get to making my point I realize that I could have said what I needed to say in only a few sentences. On a few occasions the realization (while I'm talking) that I'm saying way more than needs to be said has derailed my entire train of thought and kept me from actually finishing the story and making my point.

The other thing I notice about my speech patterns is that I often have trouble getting a word in edgewise. I'll be in a group conversation, and I'll have something to say, but rather than interrupt whoever is talking, I'll wait for them to be done, wait for a pause, and just as I'm about to begin speaking someone else will start talking, so I'll have to wait for them to be finished, etc., and by the time I finally get around to speaking, the conversation has turned to another subject, and whatever I was going to say seems "late" and off-topic, so I don't say anything. It makes it seem like I have nothing to say, but really it's just that no one will wait long enough for me to blurt it out...

I shift from near mute to inane chatterbox depending on the company.

I tend to mumble and dart my eyes around and stop in mid-sentence. But I do speak pretty loudly. (choir ftw)

I heard Jimmy Carter is an INFJ, and when asked questions at press conferences, he said "let me think about that," and literally stood there, thinking.

I'm a very soft-spoken person. Half the time, I mumble or need to clear my throat before replying to anything someone says. My parents usually ask me to repeat myself (which strangely works, since I get angry when asked for the third time, and naturally my voice gets stronger).

I've come to the conclusion that my "inner voice" (thoughts, daydreams, intuition, etc.) is a lot stronger than my "outer voice." I very much want the latter to sound like the former, which is creative and deliberate, not hurried and low like I usually sound. Also, I might have a condition involving enlarged adenoids, which a doctor once told me to get checked out and possibly get some surgery for. It certainly would add a few octaves to my very low register.

The other thing I notice about my speech patterns is that I often have trouble getting a word in edgewise.

I'll be in a group conversation, and I'll have something to say, but rather than interrupt whoever is talking, I'll wait for them to be done, wait for a pause, and just as I'm about to begin speaking someone else will start talking, so I'll have to wait for them to be finished, etc., and by the time I finally get around to speaking, the conversation has turned to another subject, and whatever I was going to say seems "late" and off-topic, so I don't say anything. It makes it seem like I have nothing to say, but really it's just that no one will wait long enough for me to blurt it out...

This resonates with me so much. It is particularly a big problem in a college classroom, especially if participation is 60% of your grade and the class is filled with extroverted types or combative NT types who never give me an opening.

:m185:

Slow quiet talker contemplating every word before uttering it, intuiting how it will be received.

As a result, people usually steamroll me in conversation same as dylan and poeticinfp mentioned.

I also can't help picking up on the tone and even dialect of the other person's voice in a one on one conversation.. and it's weird.. but I've noticed I follow their speech pattern. For example, I have a friend (who is not British, just very strange) who usually speaks in a British accent, and I end up speaking in an accent as well. Who knows what that's all about.

This resonates with me so much. It is particularly a big problem in a college classroom, especially if participation is 60% of your grade and the class is filled with extroverted types or combative NT types who never give me an opening.

:m185:

I find the same thing too. I actually had one class where the prof was trying to treat us like we were mature adults, and so he wouldn't let us raise our hands in class, instead he promoted discussion. Its a nice idea in theory, but I found I could never get a word in. So, eventually, I gave up and just kept putting my hand up so people would realize I had something to say!

I and the two other INFJs I know at school are all soft-spoken [my bio teacher last year is an INFJ, and everyone says she has a lullaby-voice...hence the high incidence of napping in her class, lol oh well].
I find it difficult to raise my voice...unless I am very angry and emotional.
Class participation is always difficult for me ):. I have things to say, but I just can't bring myself to say them because I either think a) it's trivial and dumb or b) someone else will probably say it before I do anyway.
I find that I use a lot of outdated or odd terminology and slang [like spiffy or nitwit].
When I speak, I usually get wordy, say "um" a bunch, and stumble ><...so I'm not great at verbally telling stories or jokes.
The weirdest thing is that I pick up and "adjust" my speaking style to different people when I speak to them. A drastic example: I talk 'ghetto' when the other person's speaking style is that or I seem to come up with and have more wisecracks at my disposal with a joking type of person around and etc.

I also can't help picking up on the tone and even dialect of the other person's voice in a one on one conversation.. and it's weird.. but I've noticed I follow their speech pattern. For example, I have a friend (who is not British, just very strange) who usually speaks in a British accent, and I end up speaking in an accent as well. Who knows what that's all about.

I do the exact same thing!!! I always have to explain myself to make sure people don't think I'm making fun of them. I especially find with Australian & Scottish accents that my inner 'thinking voice' will take on that accent for a while if I'm exposed to them.... I've never understood it but I do enjoy speaking with other accents so meh!
I do usually have a kinda mouse like voice, and often pause mid sentence or stop to wonder what the particular word I'm looking for is.

The one thing I do feel glad for is that my mom is a loud, lawyer INFJ, so the way she taught us when we grew up really helped me prepare for classroom discussions. I can be pushy then :D