Personality type and speaking style | INFJ Forum

Personality type and speaking style

Blind Bandit

Blind Man Being Lead to Nowhere
Donor
Jan 28, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
So I was searching through the web yesterday about I think rleationship pairings.

And I stumbled upon youtube links of INFJ people.

I even found motor jax on there. Nice vid jax

And I realized what I kinda already knew and have experienced myself.

INFJ's speak softly and gently. We may pause in our sentences with saying something like ummm. I feel a lot better about my speech now.

Also it was nice to see other INFJ males speak. And see that I was speaking par for the course.

I know having an ESFJ mother (I think I've got a lot of sensors in my family my cousin is one too) telling me to speak up and not mumble always bugged me.

But I have to say I felt complete at ease and relaxed when watching infj videos. It was nice to hear someone who spoke in the same manner I do.

I'm so tired of loud people.lol

What are your observations on how INFJ people speak?

Whats your experiences with other types and how they speak?

Has anyone ever told you to speak up or change how speak and so on?

Do you gravitate to certain speaking styles?

Last edited:
I actually speak really strongly, in a way that people don't have trouble hearing me. I think that's more taught than anything, though. If I don't have to and am uncomfortable, my speech becomes very soft and timid.

However, I have a tendency to pause and mix up words when I get excited, and it becomes hard to understand me. I think my voice gets quieter when I'm working something out verbally too, if I'm forced to think outwardly.

My pitch changes too, I've noticed. When I'm following a social pattern, like when meeting a new person or "keeping appearances" my voice is higher. That goes for when I'm excited too. Normally, my pitch is lower, especially when contemplative.

I actually speak really strongly, in a way that people don't have trouble hearing me. I think that's more taught than anything, though. If I don't have to and am uncomfortable, my speech becomes very soft and timid.

However, I have a tendency to pause and mix up words when I get excited, and it becomes hard to understand me. I think my voice gets quieter when I'm working something out verbally too, if I'm forced to think outwardly.

My pitch changes too, I've noticed. When I'm following a social pattern, like when meeting a new person or "keeping appearances" my voice is higher. That goes for when I'm excited too. Normally, my pitch is lower, especially when contemplative.

I have experienced pretty much all of what you said gloomy.

I've noticed recently to an increasing degree how much my voice sounds odd when I'm forced to be social or I'm following a social pattern.

INFJ's typically mumble when they talk. They also have the nasty habit of pausing in the middle of sentences and *never* finishing them. When speaking, it's common for them to get lost in their thoughts and often say something that makes no sense at all, yet perfect sense to the speaker. Words often get mixed up, and some are famous for vowel switching. When tired, nervous, or excited speech can be sped up to fast mumbling, in which it is impossible to understand what the speaker is saying. The rest would depend on Geography.

Reactions: mikiofpersia
having been in the military, i have learned about speaking up...

bu i actually talk in bass... in, what i call, a 'heavy' voice... like a heavy bass...

hmmmm, thats the best way i can put it...

tks Blind Bandit...

i am presently prepping for making another youtube vid...

its just my wireless verizon vodafone isn't allowing me the bandwidth...
2192273740_27d8206db6.jpg

(its awesome, i just plug it in, boot up, and go... this USB drive is my whole internet connection...)

about speaking though, i learned to speak up growing up also... mom and brother likes to have conversations IN THE MIDDLE OF WHATEVER I AM SAYING!.. these people are so friggin' RUDE!

so, yea... i grew up speaking pretty loud..

oh, Mom is most likely ENTP (but i have yet to administer the test to her)...

and brother is more ISFP...

oh, Mom is most likely ENTP (but i have yet to administer the test to her)...

and brother is more ISFP...

Oh good. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is administering these tests to friends and family. I am so terribly curious now that I'm delving in to my own type more, as to what everyone I know is.

But about speaking, well I have been told that I have an excellent reading voice, and often got called on by teachers to do so. I think this is in part because I'm not having to speak my own thoughts but instead am just emphasizing those of someone else.

When speaking aloud off the top of my head I do tend to mumble if I have to answer too quickly and am not given time to formulate my opinion and choice of words. But if I have thought it through then I tend to speak clearly and crisply even if my stomach is tied in knots until it's over.

When I'm exhausted I do tend to do the fast mumble, and often get called out on it. And generally I am very soft spoken, and only speak if I really feel like what I have to say will add to the conversation. Except for when it comes to humor.. I sort of throw out zingers unexpectedly .

Also, if I have a few drinks in me my inhibitions lower and I say more, I think in hopes of someone actually understanding me, but I only drink around people I really trust, so they kind of already know I'm quirky.

Hmmm...I accuse both bf and roomie/partner of being hard of hearing and have encouraged both of them to get hearing aides because I get so tired of repeating everything I say. For their part, they say I mumble. I've always blamed it on the stroke, though it didn't affect my speech. Maybe I've always mumbled. I'm trying to remember if people had trouble understanding me in law school, but the only thing I remember is something my Torts prof said to me after he got to know me, which was: "Your mind sparkles whenever your mouth isn't open." This was the man who commented once that I would never be more than a third-rate lawyer and other lovely, similar remarks, until I turned in my first written exam, at which time his attitude did a 180. We even ended up becoming friends and he became a mentor of sorts throughout law school.

He did caution me--probably quite accurately--that I shouldn't try to become a trial lawyer.

My mom told me that when I first began to talk, I focused so heavily on pronouncing things right, speaking, and saying ev-ery, syl-a-ble, haha.

I still hold that in me today. I try very hard to comunicate verbally in the clearest, most understandable way. As such (partly because I am from NJ, I speak very quickly). I do pause and think mid-sentance often, but that is because my mind goes faster then I can speak, and I lose the words. I always try to work on this though, and speak more cearly and more directly. I sure don't speak passivly. I either speak clearly and directly, speaking distantly (like I am not all there), or not at all. Speaking passivly comes across as passive agressive, particularly in the right context. And anyone that knows me, knows that I detest passive agressiveness with a burning passion, so I make sure not to sound that way.

I have a distinct speaking style, that really only shines throuhg in video. I think I will have to make one of these INFJ-type videos on youtube sometime this week. Mabye tonight if I can find time, or tommrow since I don't have class tommrow :D

INFJ's typically mumble when they talk. They also have the nasty habit of pausing in the middle of sentences and *never* finishing them.

Yep, i do this a lot. I dig for the right words to say all the time. It would be much easier if i could just beam people my ideas via telepathy.

Oh, I also tend to mess around with my voice a lot -- accents, sound effects, strange phrases, things like that.

And I need to look up some of these INFJ movie things. I need to get a different computer for that >.<

Oh, I also tend to mess around with my voice a lot -- accents, sound effects, strange phrases, things like that.

And I need to look up some of these INFJ movie things. I need to get a different computer for that >.<

Oh yes, I do that alot. I add alot of inflections, accents, annunciation and stuff like that to more accuratly convey emotion and feel.

I have a distinct speaking style, that really only shines throuhg in video. I think I will have to make one of these INFJ-type videos on youtube sometime this week.

INFJ-type videos on youtube?

Do you have any links of said videos? I will search if not, but I hope that you can elaborate.

INFJ-type videos on youtube?

Do you have any links of said videos? I will search if not, but I hope that you can elaborate.

Oh, just search INFJ on youtube, and there will be links to people who are INFJ's talk about what it is like.

Ha when I'm bored I start speaking in a bad Russian accent to amuse myself. Like Natasha from Rocky And Bullwinkle.

I speak quickly, loudly, with a lot of hand gestures, and tend to run my words together (a bit like brad pit from snatch). My speaking style tends to run in one of two directions; extremely fast with lots of slurred words, or relaxed, in control, with lots of pauses to gather my thoughts.

I other words

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

I dislike the way INFJ's speak - I dislike the way I speak when not focused on speaking articulately.

Edit: time to do some work (seriously) on telepathy.

HAhA I'm very loud in an exuberant exciting way and I use my body language too. I use alot of adjectives and encapturing words.

Don't INFJ's speak in a monotonous manner?

Do we? I don't think we do. . . I've never noticed it being monotonous . . . do we come across that way to other types and not to other INFJs?

I'm always being told to speak up by everyone except my dad. My dad is always shushing me. And he seems to be going hard of hearing, so I really don't get it.

I also talk too fast and somewhat incoherently sometimes . . . nerves maybe?

PSH I am far from monotonous! At least when I'm comfortable with my surroundings. If I'm not comfortable, I'm quieter and more articulate, more diplomatic -- I've been told that I could be a news anchor because of how proper my speech is when I'm calm and in an unfamiliar setting.

When I'm with friends, my voice changes a lot and I like making strange sounds. Far from monotonous