Multiculturalism = fracturing of society. | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Multiculturalism = fracturing of society.

This is not true. Pre 1965 immigration was not as great as you think, and they only took in people from European nations. look into the http://www.history.com/topics/us-immigration-since-1965 act on it.

Which part isn't true?
This part?
A melting pot is a metaphor for a society where many different types of people blend together as one. America is often called a melting pot
This part?
Some countries are made of people who are almost all the same in terms of race, religion, and culture. Then there are places like the United States, where there are many different types of people
This part?
Anywhere diverse people are assimilated could be called a melting pot.
This part?
The melting-together metaphor was in use by the 1780s
This part?
The exact term "melting pot" came into general usage in the United States after it was used as a metaphor describing a fusion of nationalities, cultures and ethnicities in the 1908 play of the same name
This part?
1780-ish is not post 1965
Or this part?
it's not far from my house. Think I'll check it out some time.
https://www.meltingpot.com/indianapolis-in/

Reactions: Littlelissa
Which part isn't true?
This part?

This part?

This part?

This part?

This part?

This part?

Or this part?
The very concept of america as a melting pot. Its revisionism, so I guess each of those parts you quoted would qualify as wrong. Despite your poem as rejoinder.

The very concept of america as a melting pot. Its revisionism, so I guess each of those parts you quoted would qualify as wrong. Despite your poem as rejoinder.

That's a bummer. I guess we all live in a non-revisionist, salad bowl then...

Reactions: James
It's not a melting pot if it's white people is the message I'm getting here.
Correct, western european culture while varied is still very related and in many ways interchangeable, which makes sense since Europeans had to interact with one and other for a long time.

Do you have any evidence to the contrary maybe some essays from the founding fathers RE making their fledgling nation into a melting pot of far flung cultures?

Correct, western european culture while varied is still very related and in many ways interchangeable, which makes sense since Europeans had to interact with one and other for a long time.
A lot of those interactions were them murdering each other though. Even now they're not exactly unified. That doesn't sound compatible with a non-fractured society.

Reactions: Milktoast Bandit
Multiculturalism means opening the borders and mass migrating millions of non western European people who come from different in many cases extremely incompatible cultures and diluting a white majority that has stood for 400+ years. Thats what multiculturalism in practice is in the USA and Europe. Bipartisanship is not the problem. the problem is that people are people not identity-less blobs of undifferentiated mass. They have feelings and traditions and belief structures which run the gamut. When you fill a nation with different tribes, eventually the tribes will fight for resources. India and Pakistan used to be 1 country, then multiculturalism happened. This is how human beings act. Also if you dont like talking about this topic you can feel free to start one of you own, I dont think this discussion is a distraction. Its much more important than the conversation about "bipartisanship" wow, what a snooze fest that would be.

I don't agree with anything you just said. America is a melting pot of cultures, yet it functions just fine. Its hard to see just how peaceful it is in America because the media inflates every problem to high heaven. Every issue, no matter how slight, turns into a potential civilization ending threat that must be "stopped at its roots". Steven Pinker recently wrote a book called The Better Angels of our nature. In it he completely destroys this idea that the world is somehow coming apart at its seems. That America is crumbling into pieces. This idea that we are somehow more unsafe than we have ever been, that disaster looms just over the horizon is just pure fear mongering. Dooms day prophesies are not new, they've been around since the birth of the media. Although multiculturalism can lead to problems, in our case, it has not.

Last edited:
A lot of those interactions were them murdering each other though. Even now they're not exactly unified. That doesn't sound compatible with a non-fractured society.
Youre not making the case for multuculturalism in that line of reasoning. And yes Europeans were brutal to each other. They were also related in many instances what has that to do with the fact that they can be classified as a single group?

I don't agree with anything you just said. America is a melting pot of cultures, yet it functions just fine. Its hard to see how peaceful it is in America because the media inflates every problem to high heaven. Steven Pinker recently wrote a book called The Better Angels of our nature. In it he completely destroys this idea that world is somehow coming apart at its seems. That America is crumbling into pieces. This idea that we are somehow more unsafe than we have ever been, that disaster looms just over the horizon is just pure fear mongering. Dooms day prophesies are not new, they've been around since the birth of the media.
It is not a melting pot, it was not founded that way. This is revisionism. Look at history for examples.

What are some examples of its interchangeability?

It is not a melting pot, it was not founded that way. This is revisionism. Look at history for examples.

Sure, America was founded on cultural homogeneity. But that was before. Today, America is a melting pot.

Reactions: dang
Youre not making the case for multuculturalism in that line of reasoning.
I'm not trying to make a case for multiculturalism.

And yes Europeans were brutal to each other. They were also related in many instances what has that to do with the fact that they can be classified as a single group?
It shows that being classified as a group isn't the same thing as unity.

Reactions: James

@Billy the world has been around a long time. I guess technically we could say that "America" was inhabited by people whose land was stolen from them.

But not by Britain. We'd never do that. ;)

We're one people, on one planet. How we organise is important, but I think that's the reality of it. Multi culturalism, is how its always been. It was just over a long period of time.

I'm not trying to make a case for multiculturalism.

It shows that being classified as a group isn't the same thing as unity.
Who was talking about unity? I was talking about identity.