Mental Influences Throught Our Childhoods | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Mental Influences Throught Our Childhoods

Lol, we're getting way off-topic.

Yeah, I tend to have that effect on people.

Mental Influences Thought Our Childhoods

"We are the sum total of our thoughts about our experiences, good and bad".

I feel at peace in the knowledge that the only person who can truly influence my life, is me, through the way I think about things. I always have the choice to think a different thought, to interpret things in a happier light, and thus lead a happier life. .

I agree with this wholeheartedly and would only add that for me facing each moment without expectations or anticipation is a large component of my peace and happiness.

Since I left school I think I've become more 'me'. However, a throwback from my school days is whenever someone asks me to my face what sort of music I like. At school I was embarrassed over my taste in music and have some vivid memories of my retarded answers and peoples sniggering backhanded responses. Someone asked me for the first time in what I am sure is years what my taste in music was the other day, and, despite being quite comfortable in their company otherwise, felt like a total prick and just said anything really. I may not have looked a lemon but I certainly felt like one. So yes, I think events from our childhood do influence our lives today and how we act.

i grew up touched by the kindness of my two childminders
plus i grew up with reading writing spelling problembs so although i love many arts (beach boys, metallica, shepard fairly)
i don't like poetry

Last edited:
i grew up touched by the kindness of my two childminders
plus i grew up with reading writing spelling problembs so although i love many arts (beach boys, metallica, shepard fairly)
i don't like poetry

Poetry for me is...barable. I love it in music, but reading it makes my eyes burn. I wonder if kindness affects people more than some of the more negative emotions such as hate, pain, and bitterness? Hmm, maybe they're just too diferent to truely compare?

Reactions: pogo_<3
I have a bit of PTSD from bullying as well as BS from teachers, getting called a liar, a compulsive, self-centered complainer and a lazy slacker who made excuses because of what took till I was 15 to be diagnosed as Asperger's Syndrome. Calling me lazy or accusing me of making up excuses is the best way of sending me into an uncontrollable rage because of that BS.

I believe that without the experiences we achieve in life, we would be entirely different from who we are. Whether they be happy and peaceful, or dark, and difficult to deal with, they shape us, and define us. I wouldn't trade any bad memory for a million dollars, because I like who I am, and mostly, who I surround myself wth.

Reactions: chaotic_lion
I agree pogo.

Honestly, people who have had pretty "easy" lives, have very little personality. They are usually quite boring, or just uninteresting. Strong events (either good or bad) shape everyone. How that shaping occurs though is a result of how you choose to respond to things.

One of my best friends out here at school (she is an ESFJ) has one of the most distinct, and unique personality I have ever seen. She has had a rough life and it is what shaped her to be as unique as she is. Minerva (a member here, and a friend of mine IRL) is very similar in this respect.

I often wonder who I would be without my experiences. I was bullied throughout my childhood (and still run into bullying experiences from time to time) plus my mother was/is an unmedicated bipolar, and I moved around all the time. I think my experiences made my I stronger (I'm nearly 100% I) but it had no effect on the other aspects of my personality. Although I have rarely been treated well by people I still find the good in everyone and strive to bring peace and happiness to others' lives. Had my experiences colored this aspect of my personality I think I would now be a bitter and jaded person.

Awww, court! You'll be treated well here!!

That's good. Everyone deserves to feel like they belong!