Looking into peoples eyes | INFJ Forum

Looking into peoples eyes

Discussion in 'Relationships and Sociology' started by Jill Hives, Nov 11, 2010.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
More threads by Jill Hives
  1. Jill Hives

Jill Hives fhtagn
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    Does anyone in here find themselves really wanting to make eye contact when they are getting to know a person?

I really do, and I seem to notice that this scares a lot of people away...haha. I can totally understand why, so I try to catch myself and not do it so much, so I don't come on too strong, but sometimes I can't help it! The more interesting I think a person is the more likely I am to do this. I just want to really know them so badly!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Entyqua

Entyqua Forgotten
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INF
    Enneagram:
    messed up
    yup always do. People feel intimidated by eye contact, but for me its the only way to actually get to know some one...If I cant see their eyes I cant trust em

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. IndigoSensor

IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    I generally avoid this. I do love to look at other peoples eyes because it allows me to see quite a bit about them. If it's mutual though I don't like it, because I "feel" too much and it makes me quite unconfortable. I generally don't make eye contact when I speak though because visual input is quite distracting to me when I am running off auditory systems (which is my default mode). I naturally look at "everything and nothing" when I talk and listen, so I am not actively avoiding it either.

4. basic

Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ROFL
    Enneagram:
    5w6 sp/so/sx
    The closer you are to someone, the more you look into their eyes, and for a longer duration of time. When you first meet someone, very little eye contact is made...In most western cultures looking at someone's face is unconsciously felt as invading their privacy, hence the discomfort when making eye contact with people you don't know well. On average, though, direct eye contact only lasts something like 2.9 seconds at most.

At the same time, eye contact shows that you care about what he/she is saying, and subconsciously builds trust. Try this: pay attention to how long you can comfortably maintain eye contact with both someone you know well, and someone that may just be an acquaintance or someone you just met. Monitor how this changes too as you get to know these people more. A lot of this kind of stuff is explained in books about body language, just fyi. Interesting stuff!

5. OP
    Jill Hives

Jill Hives fhtagn
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    I feel the same about not being able to really trust someone if I don't get that eye contact, at least once in a while. I don't like making people feel uncomfortable though either, I know what it is like to want to hide certain parts of yourself for just yourself so you can pick and choose who to let in. It's a pretty personal thing and I remind myself of this when I catch myself doing it too much and I can tell someone looks uneasy about it hah...

I honestly find it pretty attractive when I come across someone who is confident enough to look me right in the eyes when they are talking to me. It shows me they don't have anything to hide.

I don't like to do it while speaking for the same reason actually, my train of thought will get diverted and then I have to stumble around my thoughts and remember where I left off with what I was saying.

6. acd

acd Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infp
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sp/sx
    No it's too personal and it makes me uncomfortable for more than a few seconds.

Which is sad, really.. the fact that in western culture, like basic mentioned, eye contact is weird and almost invasive.. as if acknowledging someone on the same level and showing them your interest is taboo. It's weird. western culture is way too aloof and individualistic and needs to get over itself.

So, I don't think you're doing anything wrong by gazing into people's eyes.
    I think it's evolved.

#6 acd, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
    Jill Hives likes this.
  7. OP
    Jill Hives

Jill Hives fhtagn
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    ... :mlove2:

That might be the best compliment I have received in a very long time.

8. acd

acd Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infp
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sp/sx
    I am spartan in compliments too!

9. rawr

rawr ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    IxTP
    Enneagram:
    human
    yes, but i often don't. it's a bit uncomfortable for me too, which is odd. wanting to, and it being uncomfortable at the same time.
    and yes, the more curious i am about someone, the more i want to make eye contact.

#9 rawr, Nov 11, 2010
  10. Matariki

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    N/A
    Enneagram:
    N/A
    If there is one thing that I am lousy at is making eye contact even if I know a person well enough.
    Its a trust issue for me.

#10 Matariki, Nov 11, 2010
  11. Diana

Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Enneagram:
    I both need to make eye contact and feel the need to break away if it gets to intense. Making eye contact is something I couldn't do when I was younger. I had to teach myself to do it. I do like reading people's eyes but I don't like them reading mine unless I really trust them. But I always make basic brief eye contact as a show of respect for my fellow human beings.

12. Saru Inc

Saru Inc Schrödinger's Pussy
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENFJ
    Enneagram:
    3w4
    +1 I feel lost when I look in someone's eyes though, I'm not sure what to do with all that I see.

13. kucala

kucala The Chameleon Sponge

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Same here.

rawr likes this.
  14. Peppermint

Peppermint Well-known member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    _
    Enneagram:
    _
    You INFJs make me uncomfortable.

rawr likes this.
  15. Faye

Faye ^_^
    Staff Member Administrator

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    A lot of times I have trouble sustaining eye contact, so no this isn't really a problem for me.

16. randomsomeone

randomsomeone Well-known member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I naturally make a degree of eye contact in my daily encounters. It surprises me a bit that some people (at the office particularly) absolutely avoid this!

17. Quinlan

Quinlan Right the First Time!

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISFP
    Only very attractive women.

18. Nixie

Nixie Resurrected

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTP
    For me, I find extended eye contact to be rude if you are not close or related. Among Natives it is considered rude or immature to stare at someone.

#18 Nixie, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  19. Prometheus

Prometheus Regular Poster

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    When I was young, I also had issues maintaining eye contact. Not in a bashful sense, though, but more in a "Hey, look at that shiny object" way. I didn't really work at it, but when I finally realized I actually did care what people were saying, I began to instinctively hold eye contact. I've only met one person whose gaze was difficult for me to maintain, but otherwise I can hold onto it for incredible lengths of time.

I have found, though, that people are less intimidated by my eye contact if I'm wearing glasses vs contacts. Also, and I'm not sure if my "mood ring eyes" (as my ex calls them) have anything to do with it, but if I'm staring into someone's eyes with intent, they usually back away or look away, regardless of what the intent is.

20. blueflame

blueflame Regular Poster

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Actually it's funny because when I was reading up on body language once I read that naturally when you first meet someone you don't like to make direct eye contact for more than a split second...Unless you don't at all feel interested or engaged in the conversation