Life should be fun | INFJ Forum

Life should be fun

TinyBubbles

anarchist
Oct 27, 2009
MBTI
^.^
Enneagram
Don't you agree? If you're not enjoying what you're doing, or at least working towards a point in your life when you can be happier and have more fun, then you're not really living. Or is this a reckless, selfish mentality to have?

Reactions: SamE
There'll be time enough for fun in heaven.

I agree. Selfishness has a horrible rep but the kind of self-ish'ness that entails looking after yourself and taking responsibility for your life without being inconsiderate and disrespectful of others, is vital. The more our own needs are met and the more self-actualized or empowered we feel, the more likely we are to better others anyway. So some selfishness is, indeed, a good thing.

I know it seems like not everyone can be happy, and that's a horrible thing, but I don't think we were born to suffer and trudge our way through life, especially if inherent circumstances don't demand it.

Be happy. Then, if you can or if it's part of you, share that happiness with the rest of the world or your world, in whatever way makes sense for you. I do believe that if you're living in a way that brings you joy (truly, not egotistical happiness) then you will probably in some real way benefit others, whether it's Mother Teresa style or not. And, even if you don't, well then I suppose that's not a part of who you are, and that's okay.

I think it's only selfish if you view it relative to anyone less fortunate. Unfortunately, the world seems to be filled to the brim with misfortune and by that logic, we should all feel guilty and be miserable because there will always be someone worse off in some way than we are. It's a bottomless barrel that doesn't help anyone. I also don't interpret being happy as synonymous with living in a bubble and disregarding those less fortunate or with a win-lose dichotomy. If anything, I've often viewed real happiness as win-win. It's often when we're most unhappy that we might cause more pain or be unable to respond to others who are also in pain.

Last edited:
Reactions: bamf
I agree. Selfishness has a horrible rep but the kind of self-ish'ness that entails looking after yourself and taking responsibility for your life without being inconsiderate and disrespectful of others, is vital. The more our own needs are met and the more self-actualized or empowered we feel, the more likely we are to better others anyway. So some selfishness is, indeed, a good thing.

I know it seems like not everyone can be happy, and that's a horrible thing, but I don't think we were born to suffer and trudge our way through life, especially if inherent circumstances don't demand it.

Be happy. Then, if you can or if it's part of you, share that happiness with the rest of the world or your world, in whatever way makes sense for you. I do believe that if you're living in a way that brings you joy (truly, not egotistical happiness) then you will probably in some real way benefit others, whether it's Mother Teresa style or not.

beautifully said! :)

I believe in making whatever you're doing fun. If you have to do something hard, making it fun can make it easier.

I guess it depends on what you mean by fun. I think its healthy to try and enjoy what you have now while you have it, but life is also about many other things. Among other things, its about growth, and helping the people around you and trying to make a difference for the betterment of all. But there is no reason why that stuff shouldnt have fun aspects to it.

Reactions: Lerxst
I guess it depends on what you mean by fun. I think its healthy to try and enjoy what you have now while you have it, but life is also about many other things. Among other things, its about growth, and helping the people around you and trying to make a difference for the betterment of all. But there is no reason why that stuff shouldnt have fun aspects to it.

i pretty much mean it in this way, and the way [MENTION=2743]whytiger[/MENTION] described. that nothing has to be serious, that there are ways to be productive and helpful and still grow as a person while enjoying yourself. (though admittedly finding the fun in certain circumstances might present a challenge :p)

also [MENTION=1451]Billy[/MENTION] you said we should try to make a difference for the benefit of all. why exactly is this important? (outside of it being a nice thing to do?)

also [MENTION=1451]Billy[/MENTION] you said we should try to make a difference for the benefit of all. why exactly is this important? (outside of it being a nice thing to do?)

I believe all humans have an obligation to make the world a better place in any way they can for the future generations. Its not based on anything specifically logical other then that it would benefit our species, morally though I think its imperative that people have a sense of humanitarian duty to inject more positive force into the world then they take out of it.

I believe all humans have an obligation to make the world a better place in any way they can for the future generations. Its not based on anything specifically logical other then that it would benefit our species, morally though I think its imperative that people have a sense of humanitarian duty to inject more positive force into the world then they take out of it.

what constitutes humanitarian duty? also i think most people already consider themselves 'good' people, whether or not their definition of good consists of anything more than not intending to do bad (whatever that means)

what constitutes humanitarian duty? also i think most people already consider themselves 'good' people, whether or not their definition of good consists of anything more than not intending to do bad (whatever that means)

Well being good isnt enough, I think people should try to make a tangible difference, even if its just promoting life, by picking up garbage at your local lake, not killing flys in the house, capture them and let them go etc... respecting life as much as we can and doing what we can to promote it.

The word "should" should die in a fire. :D (Yes, I noticed.)

I'd say you're not really living unless your life means something to you, and unless you take risks. For most people this means having fun and enjoying life, but not for all.

Reactions: Soulful
The word "should" should die in a fire. :D (Yes, I noticed.)

I'd say you're not really living unless your life means something to you, and unless you take risks. For most people this means having fun and enjoying life, but not for all.

I agree, well-put. Including the 'should'. :D

Wheeee!!!

Life should be like a box of chocolates.

Don't you agree? If you're not enjoying what you're doing, or at least working towards a point in your life when you can be happier and have more fun, then you're not really living.

well i'd certainly encourage more people to approach life in a light hearted fun manner (my opinion is that its the healthier way to go), but i don't think its imperative, nor does it mean a person having fun is living anymore than a person who's miserable. people are miserable for a reason, and get something that they deem beneficial from it, just as i feel laughing and enjoying myself give me an inner peace or happiness which i feel is worth it.

in terms of the less fortunate the way i see it is humanity at large can only be where it is supposed to be. the drastic differences in lifestyle and prosperity are merely a natural evolution of mankind. this isn't to say that i don't want to help the less fortunate, indeed i do and plan on trying, but whether or not anyone else decides to pick up the cause i believe is justified and important is not up to me. i can only do so much and whether or not anyone else agrees is left to the collective, which i won't feel guilty over.

You're absolutely right.

I'm now going to listen to you
:mhula::mhula::mhula::mhula::mhula: everybody dance now OOH ooh ooh ooh ooh YMCA lets go to the YMCA :mxmas::m030::m040::m2::m159::m159::m159::m159::m2::m2::m2::m2::m149::m149::m149::m149::m180::m129::m166x::m166x::m151::m036::m036::m036::m036::m036::m036::m036::m085::m028:

~~~ EVERYBODY WAS KUNG FU FIGHTING ~~~

HOO HA HOO HA NA NANANANA NANANANANANA BEST FRIEND BESTFRIEND OOOOOH DO YOU HAVE A BEST FRIEND TOO
objects-with-faces-nooo-im-not-recyclable.jpeg
OH NOES THIS GUY NO RECLYCLABEZ
WAT WE GUNA DO!!

DO U WISH UR GIRLFRIEND WAS AS HOT AS ME?????? YA 2 BAD SHES NOT LOLOLOLOLOL :d :d :d :d :d

kindaweirdp1.gif

omgogmogmogmogmwatisthis

Think I'm childish, immature & all?
(you're a bit right o.o)
Your problem :p

Clown.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
I guess we should also define 'fun', since for some people it might mean doing 'nothing', constant partying, recklessness, etc. and for others "fun in life" might more so mean thriving, learning, growing, taking on responsibility, or whatever else rocks their boat that's typically considered to be productive. Many people fall somewhere in between and balance both, but I think it's a worthy distinction.

Last edited: