Let's talk about women in powerplay | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Let's talk about women in powerplay

I would probably consider myself a feminist. Of course, it depends on who's asking. There are different schools of feminism, and some of them are quite transphobic, and misandrist.
I generally believe that women should be respected. have the same rights as men, and be able to work in any field that they want while getting the same pay as men.

I work in a very techy field and I've see women very badly treated throughout my career. So many men see their female co-workers as sexual objects. Or don't trust them to be as good as their male co-workers. Then again, anyone who isn't straight and cis male get treated like outcasts. A lot of programming/engineering workplaces are very much a boys club.
Just the other day I was out with a few men from a past job, and they were talking about women's soccer. And I just remarked it was cool that it was finally being taken more seriously. To which one of them remarked "well it's something you can watch with your lad (i.e. penis) out." And then they all laughed.

Where I work now is a lot better. There's as many female engineers as male, and for the most part misogyny isn't appreciated. Though I still notices undertones of sexism. It's well hidden, but it's there. And I fairly certain if I was considered more "one of the boys" I would hear it a lot more.

Last edited:
I would probably consider myself a feminist. Of course, it depends on who's asking. There are different schools of feminism, and some of them are quite transphobic, and misandrist.
I generally believe that women should be respected. have the same rights as men, and be able to work in any field that they want while getting the same pay as men.

I work in a very techy field and I've see women very badly treated throughout my career. So many men see their female co-workers as sexual objects. Or don't trust them to be as good as their male co-workers. Then again, anyone who isn't straight and cis male get treated like outcasts. A lot of programming/engineering workplaces are very much a boys club.
Just the other day I was out with a few men from a past job, and they were talking about women's soccer. And I just remarked it was cool that it was finally being taken more seriously. To which one of them remarked "well it's something you can watch with your lad (i.e. penis) out." And then they all laughed.

Where I work now is a lot better. There's as many female engineers as male, and for the most part misogyny isn't appreciated. Though I still notices undertones of sexism. It's well hidden, but it's there. And I fairly certain if you was considered more "one of the boys" I would hear it a lot more.

Yes, I've grown accustomed to "manly gestures" so as to present my self as a non sexual object. It often goes that I'm rumored a lesbian, or a man hater. These judgments can be annoying but I mostly laugh it off. I've grown to prefer androgynous clothes in the work place. Women, no matter the intellectual caliber, still get treated as sexual objects and I would say the same for men but these are things that should not be in the workplace. I can tolerate this kind of banter in a social setting although admittedly, I would feel uncomfortable.

Yes, I've grown accustomed to "manly gestures" so as to present my self as a non sexual object. It often goes that I'm rumored a lesbian, or a man hater. These judgments can be annoying but I mostly laugh it off. I've grown to prefer androgynous clothes in the work place. Women, no matter the intellectual caliber, still get treated as sexual objects and I would say the same for men but these are things that should not be in the workplace. I can tolerate this kind of banter in a social setting although admittedly, I would feel uncomfortable.

Yeah, it's shitty that you have to do that. Tech workplaces can be so toxic for women. And then we have people wondering why more women don't go into those fields. With some idiots saying it's genetic, that men have a more scientific brain than women. Even though in schools women often exceed men in those subjects.

I've just stopped making friendships altogether at work. It's not worth it. So often, I'll have gotten closer to someone who comes to trust me enough to reveal that they're sexist or homophobic, and that sucks.

I've just stopped making friendships altogether at work. It's not worth it. So often, I'll have gotten closer to someone who comes to trust me enough to reveal that they're sexist or homophobic, and that sucks.

Those experiences are the worst. I find that my understanding and friendship stops when these get shared.

Those experiences are the worst. I find that my understanding and friendship stops when these get shared.

I try to wrap myself around these notions of homophobia and I somehow I do understand it but I cannot fathom the depth of the pity that I feel for these people.

It's odd too that often the men who normalize the objectification of women are also often the homophobes. I cannot fathom their fear. I look at such men, all with projected machismo, and I just sneer under my breath. How do they even think of themselves as attractive when they're being complete jerks? And what of women who tolerate it? At this point, the norms of society is just lost on me. Not to be over dramatic, but I've gone to abhorring publicized selfies because it feels shallow. Lol. But i take selfies for my own eyes only. I just don't want to post them because i'm afraid of being branded as wanting heterosexual attraction. I'm that concerned with being objectified.

Yeah. And also probably me being judging. Mehe.

It's probably not in any way your fault, or even a fault to be placed, it just is.
Or maybe you're crazy and it's all your fault.

Why did you find it weird though? Or did you?

I just think you shouldn't allow fear to stop you from sharing yourself with the world. Easier said than done, of course.

There is a new Netflix series out that is a glass blowing competition. While I hate competitive game shows as they are to some extent rigged (I feel this one is no different) there are some amazing artisans on there and I'm reminded of one of my favorite vacation spots, and so I binge watched it while sick.

Glass blowing is very physically demanding and is traditionally a man's field, however women have been coming into it more and more. There is one person in particular on this show who is all about feminism and showing the men what a strong woman can do. The problem is that she's one of those feminists: She's mean and picks on the other contestants and her assistants. She also works to make pieces that make others feel uncomfortable, which in itself is a form of manipulating the judges as they dare not question her art. I understand the show creators want to have a good variety of personalities on the show, but if they felt she embodies the ultimate strong woman, they're so wrong. I think she does us more harm than good.

Last edited:
There is a new Netflix series out that is a glass blowing competition. While I hate competitive game shows as they are to some extent rigged (I feel this one is no different) there are some amazing artisans on there and I'm reminded of one of my favorite vacation spots, and so I binge watched it while sick.

Glass blowing is very physically demanding and is traditionally a man's field, however women have been coming into it more and more often. There is one person in particular on this show who is all about feminism and showing the men what a strong woman can do. The problem is that she's one of those feminists: She's mean and picks on the other contestants and her assistants. She also works to make glass work that makes others feel uncomfortable which in itself is a form of manipulating the judges as they dare not question her art. I understand the show creators want to have a good variety of personalities on the show, but if they felt she embodies the ultimate strong woman, they're so wrong. I think she does us more harm than good.

Agreed. I've always believed that the truly strong don't rub their strength off on the faces of everyone they meet. How is that any different from bullying? True strength is in restraint and stillness.

Very Karate kid.