Is it wrong to mock religion? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Is it wrong to mock religion?

I'll throw in a bit of Ti. All religions make metaphysical claims. Since there is no way for us to verify any sort of metaphysical claim, it is, as others have said, neither provable or falsifiable. All claims to a universal "truth" can't be substantiated. I have no problem with most religious beliefs in and of themselves (as long as they do not harm others). The problem occurs when religions, which are purely a matter of faith, try to back up their claims with logic (a trend from Platonic thought through today). Reason and faith do not mix well and to do so is a mistake IMO.

Any religion that claims to be the one true path, while denying that other religions have just as a legitimate claim to truth, is opening itself up to mockery because of its own hypocrisy. If anything else regarding religion is to be mocked, it is the close mindedness and intolerance that some religions spread.

*is feeling an urge to play devil's advocate with Vulcan*

Last edited:
*is feeling an urge to play devil's advocate with Vulcan*

It's tempting, right? I usually end up playing devil's advocate. I like all points of view to be adequately represented. I'd be a public defense attorney if the pay was better.

Any religion that claims to be the one true path, while denying that other religions have just as a legitimate claim to truth, is opening itself up to mockery because of its own hypocrisy.
I certainly agree, but one must also be aware of the possibility that we may be assuming an exclusive claim where there may, in fact, not be one....not like we are thinking. I was talking to a Catholic priest once who said outright that thinking one's way is the only way is the first test of a heresy. Imagine that....a way to God that identifies diversity as a necessary and essential condition for knowing Truth! I have been aware of many, many occurances over the years where religious thinkers identify common and mutual understandings across their various traditions. It is a great thing to see.

All I'm saying is that religious mockery may not always be as deserved as we might think.

Last edited:
I think if one mocks someone or something, one better be prepared to deal with their own limitations. I've never met anyone with that clarity. I'd also hope it wasn't just for malice.

Last edited:
I'll throw in a bit of Ti. All religions make metaphysical claims. Since there is no way for us to verify any sort of metaphysical claim, it is, as others have said, neither provable or falsifiable. All claims to a universal "truth" can't be substantiated. I have no problem with most religious beliefs in and of themselves (as long as they do not harm others). The problem occurs when religions, which are purely a matter of faith, try to back up their claims with logic (a trend from Platonic thought through today). Reason and faith do not mix well and to do so is a mistake IMO....
In the middle ages theologians spent much time bringing the Catholic Faith, which they considered to be True into "dialogue" with the inductive sciences - most notably philosophy, which they also considered to be true. In this work, they applied the strictest of logic (an instrumental science) to theology (a deductive science).
The most famous of these theologians is St Thomas Aquinas, who in an unparrallelled way demonstrated that the truths of (at least) the Catholic Faith are not opposed to the truths of science. Further, he demonstrated that in fact many of the truths of faith correspond with the truths of science (science meaning classical pre-Christian philosophy) and that the sciences were capable and fitting for better understanding and explaining the faith; and that the faith was capable and fitting for illuminating the significance of the sciences.

...Any religion that claims to be the one true path, while denying that other religions have just as a legitimate claim to truth, is opening itself up to mockery because of its own hypocrisy. If anything else regarding religion is to be mocked, it is the close mindedness and intolerance that some religions spread.

It is the nature of some beliefs to exclude others: monotheism excludes polytheism and vice versa. Clearly, anyone who holds their belief as true cannot at the same time hold an opposing opinion as true and yet maintain their belief. To hold one faith and not another should not be seen as offensive or judgemental - it is a legitimate choice.

Last edited:
In the middle ages theologians spent much time bringing the Catholic Faith, which they considered to be True into "dialogue" with the inductive sciences - most notably philosophy, which they also considered to be true. In this work, they applied the strictest of logic (an instrumental science) to theology (a deductive science).
The most famous of these theologians is St Thomas Aquinas, who in an unparrallelled way demonstrated that the truths of (at least) the Catholic Faith are not opposed to the truths of science. Further, he demonstrated that in fact many of the truths of faith correspond with the truths of science (science meaning classical pre-Christian philosophy) and that the sciences were capable and fitting for better understanding and explaining the faith; and that the faith was capable and fitting for illuminating the significance of the sciences.

It's funny you mention Mr. Aquinas, because it was just him that I had in mind when mentioning the mixing of logic and faith. I haven't read Aquinas, but most Christian theological thought uses logic to support its metaphysical claims. My ultimate point is that using rigorous logic to try to substantiate unprovable claims is not going to get us any closer to truth. The various competing Christian denominations have their own sets of beliefs, many of which are very logically coherent within their respective worldview, yet they disagree with each other. This is what lead me to leave Christianity.

It is the nature of some beliefs to exclude others: monotheism excludes polytheism and vice versa. Clearly, anyone who holds their belief as true cannot at the same time hold an opposing opinion as true and yet maintain their belief. To hold one faith and not another should not be seen as offensive or judgemental - it is a legitimate choice.

Let me clarify, I was not saying that belief in one thing over another was judgmental. As you say, it is a legit choice. My point was that it is hypocritical to criticize other religions by holding them to a burden of proof, while exempting one's own religious beliefs from such a burden. We can believe what we want, substantiated or not, but let us apply the same standards to all beliefs.

Let me clarify, I was not saying that belief in one thing over another was judgmental. As you say, it is a legit choice. My point was that it is hypocritical to criticize other religions by holding them to a burden of proof, while exempting one's own religious beliefs from such a burden. We can believe what we want, substantiated or not, but let us apply the same standards to all beliefs.

Exactly - I hate to quote myself, but I'm lazy to type it again:

In Brief, I think the two following approaches are fundamentally disrespectful:
1. Insulting people for making the choice they have. (Whatever belief or atheism they hold).
2. Using one's own beliefs as the benchmark to evaluate and criticise another's beliefs. (Which is different from stating how they diverge).
From earlier in the thread

Ah, my own recent lesson.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

It is pretty much that simple.

I can respect other people's views and beliefs for as long as they can respect my own.

But even if they don't respect my views and beliefs, I can still be a better person and demonstrate the goodness of my own beliefs by choosing to tolerate their views and beliefs even if they are not willing to tolerate mine.

That is why I have always loved that old prayer, "Lord give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

What is truly important isn't that your beliefs are right for everyone, but that your beliefs are right for you.

My ultimate point is that using rigorous logic to try to substantiate unprovable claims is not going to get us any closer to truth.
IOW rigorous logic cannot discover certain kinds of truths correct?

On the other hand, I think having a reasonable evidential basis for what one beleives is a good thing. Imho I think the difficulty comes in when someone tries to use proof that they did not factor into or does not currently effect their decision to accept that position in the first place. I suppose that would be because it strikes me as inauthentic.

Is it therefore wrong to make light of such important and intrinsic beliefs, even if they don't make sense to you? – May

If your subjective judgments are causing you to hurt another person, even if you are doing it in jest, then is that wrong?- May

I need to step in here and say that I believe that May is mistaking mocking for making a light of, or a jest of something. Not all humor is based in mocking, which is usually attacking something with ill intentions. The question at this thread may not be how I am interpreting it- if so, I apologize for the post I am conducting because it’s probably not the most accurate. It is not wrong to make jests in good intentions or make light of beliefs, but if it is done purposefully I would have an entirely different opinion. To me, I generally interpret ‘mocking’ as implying a less than pleasant intent.

But for my take on the issue no you should not mock, to mock is to humiliate, embarrass, or to tease. You shouldn't mock people for anything not religion, sexuality, culture, race etc.-Riven

I strongly agree and identify with this statement, and I felt quoting it was really important. This sort of backs my point that perhaps the original poster was not thinking of the definition of mocking that I usually think of when I dwell upon it. I don’t think that this thread was geared about mocking, but even so, I agree with Riven’s opinions on this issue. I think this is a very wise statement.

At the end of the session, he was asked to continue speaking to the audience and proceeded to go on for a solid half-an-hour telling Catholic jokes...and the crowd was literally in stitches!!- Randomsomeone

This also seems to be confusing mocking with making light of, or creating humor in something. I am thinking that this individual was not making ugly, hurtful jokes on purpose. Therefore, this is not mocking, this is more about humor and being able to laugh about one’s belief, not exactly ‘mocking’ a belief in order to get a good laugh. Although, I suppose the catholic jokes could have been mocking and belittling the beliefs of catholics in order for your group to have a good time, but I somehow doubt it.

I'd also hope it wasn't just for malice. –Ecton

I think that mocking generally implies malice, and Ecton kind of touches on that here.

Ah, my own recent lesson.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

It is pretty much that simple.

I can respect other people's views and beliefs for as long as they can respect my own.

But even if they don't respect my views and beliefs, I can still be a better person and demonstrate the goodness of my own beliefs by choosing to tolerate their views and beliefs even if they are not willing to tolerate mine.

That is why I have always loved that old prayer, "Lord give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

What is truly important isn't that your beliefs are right for everyone, but that your beliefs are right for you. - Satya

I would have to say that of all of the posts I read on this threads, Satya got to communicating my own beliefs better than others. He has set down a lot of things here: essentially, my interpretation of reading this is that Satya is saying mocking implies a sort of negative intent, and that it is truly disrespectful. A lot of this has to do with tolerance of beliefs- not just religious, because while a lot of posters have made this about religion I do not think it is so narrow.

A lot of people mock a lot of things and it isn’t a just sort of thing to do; religion is a touchy subject but mocking any sort of concept or belief is rude and unwelcome. I think that, while Satya may not have said any of this, he communicates this in his post the clearest and that is the message I have received from this post. Your beliefs are your own beliefs and when one mocks something you have to question why. Is it because they disagree with it and are trying to prove it is of less value than some things they might believe? Just a few things to think about there.

I don't think it is right to mock anything. To explain my reasoning, look at what the word ‘mock’ represents.

Mock: to treat with contempt or ridicule

It's a negative sort of behavior that I personally don't enjoy behind on the receiving end of. It would not matter what I was being mocked about- my hairstyle, maybe, my personality, my mother or heaven forbid, my religious beliefs.

I suppose if you are simply mocking religion it may feel it is not as personal. But mocking religion, and how absurd it is, has an indirect personal effect on others; by mocking something you also will end up offending those who believe in it. If I were to mock science, ridicule it's merit without evidence or proof, just to be malice, and essentially make fun of it, some people would get offended. Not everyone, but some people. If I were to mock short haircuts and say they didn't look good on females without reasoning why because I was saying it simply to offend, those who had those haircuts would feel effected by that statement even though it was a generalization and not targeted at them. If you target religion and mock it, those who believe in it, even if you were not trying to target or offend them, will be indirectly effect.

The question is 'is it wrong to mock religion', I would have to say that there is no absolute answer to that question because as I've mentioned in so many of my thoughts and opinions, right and wrong are subject to the culture you live within and the societal norms. In some places it might be wrong, although in other areas I assure you it would be considered socially acceptable to mock Judaism or Islam where there is probably not a large populations of people who have faith in that religion. In some families it may be considered correct to put down the Mormon beliefs and therefore indirectly creating a bias against Mormons. To me, it is neither right or wrong.

I also want to mention that the posts between Flavus Aquila and Vulcan are, from what I can see, irrelevant to this topic and the moderators might consider splitting their discussion or putting it into the ‘random’ category.

It is ok to playfully mock beliefs in god in the same way it is ok to playfully mock beliefs in sasquatch, fairies, unicorns and other fantastical creatures.

Is it wrong to express an opinion?

You don't have to like it, but just because someone else mocks your religion doesn't mean that they don't have the right to. Ask God for strength or whatever; isn't that what He's (supposedly) there for?

Last edited:
Reactions: rawr
Here, in the U.S., it used to be said that one shouldn't talk about religion or politics. I always felt this was good advice but the level of incivility and bad manners today is greater than ever. Now, there's too much talk about both. Indeed, these days there's too much religion in politics and too much politics in religion!

Last edited:
Elaborate.

By "random" and "ill-informed", what precisely do you mean? Your post was so incredibly vague.

Edit: Wait, are you religious? If you are, I'd so much rather just stop this now and exit the thread. I don't have enough patience or fortitude to carry on a theological debate with someone who is actually religious.

Last edited:
Elaborate.

By "random" and "ill-informed", what precisely do you mean? Your post was so incredibly vague.
Mis-stating doctrines, faulty assumptions, skewed perspectives, underdeveloped awareness....basic lack of familiarity witht he real workings of the subject at hand. This happens alot...and my comment was not directed at any one in particular but at overall themes.

Don't worry....I don't want to debate either. I think a little respect is really all this thread asks for.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I respect the religious, but I believe I still have the right to make fun of whatever I like. That doesn't mean I disrespect those whose beliefs differ from mine.

For the record, I've only known one Christian who had any kind of problem with me, and he was a hypocritical prick anyway.

Why when people mock religion is the automatic response that those people are uninformed? I've always found this interesting because it is a typical pattern. It comes off as a defense mechanism.

Yes, I think we, as a culture, have become a bit out of sorts with religion, sometimes because a certain authenticity was been lost in the maze of history, sometimes because of the over-simplified pop-versions floating around, sometimes do to the relatively unavailability of more complex religious thought....lots of reasons. In view of the present, this is undstandable. But there is more to it than that. Lots of INFJs are good at making connections that include religious views, that's why out-and-out mocking will get some push-back around here I think. That doesn't mean we all have to agree, nor does it mean we try to convince each other. I'd just hate to quash legitimate sharing of perspectives.