Is it wrong to mock religion? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Is it wrong to mock religion?

I've always found this interesting because it is a typical pattern.
I agree. In the cases I have noticed there are proclamations of a supposed belief that is way over-simplified or stem from a given perspective that is marginal at best. Religious thought is fairly complex. If someone doesn't want to believe (whatever the religion), that is fine with me....there are good reasons for this (and I could probably add a few more). I just hate to see mis-information spread and accepted as fact, if only to show that there be more to the subject than meets the eye.

Yes, I think we, as a culture, have become a bit out of sorts with religion, sometimes because a certain authenticity was been lost in the maze of history, sometimes because of the over-simplified pop-versions floating around, sometimes do to the relatively unavailability of more complex religious thought....lots of reasons. In view of the present, this is undstandable. But there is more to it than that. Lots of INFJs are good at making connections that include religious views, that's why out-and-out mocking will get some push-back around here I think. That doesn't mean we all have to agree, nor does it mean we try to convince each other. I'd just hate to quash legitimate sharing of perspectives.

Calling someone "ill-informed" is a personal attack. If your argument is that mocking religious beliefs is bad because it squashes legitimate sharing of perspectives, then why mock the nonreligious right back? I have no interest in debating the issue, I just find it strange. It's okay to mock nonreligious beliefs, but it isn't okay to mock religious ones?

Calling someone "ill-informed" is a personal attack.
Not if it is not meant or directed personally....it is a mere observation of the culture we live in. There is a lot of ill-information floating about our culture in regards to religion (and sadly in many regards religion has done little to help). This is not meant as mockery (personal or otherwise) in the least, it is simply where we find ourselves at this point in history.

Last edited: