IQ & Type | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

IQ & Type

I think that IQ tests are way over used. The IQ wasn't even designed to measure intelligence. In fact it ticks me off just thinking about it. I havn't seen any convincing evidence to date that your IQ some how equates to your intelligence.

Can someone offer me said evidence?

If no one has proved that IQ=intelligence then why do so many people believe it?

Last edited:
Really, the value of an IQ test is dependent upon

1. What the IQ test is testing
2. Why you are taking the test ( for some sort of college entry? Idk)
3. What your score is being compiled against.

Your IQ score may be high if it's compared against the average population, but if you compare it to people who graduated from Princeton it will likely be a lot lower.

I think that IQ tests should be divided into topics. Math IQ, Science IQ, English IQ, Body Kinetics IQ, Fashion IQ---
the problem is that IQ tests are usually more interesting to people of Academia, which is probably why IQ tests are seperated in this way which I deem much more efficient.

There is a correlation between MBTI type and IQ, but only in so much as certain MBTI types are better equipped for what IQ tests are designed to measure than others.

N types do much better with pattern recognition, with Ni having an advantage.
F types do much better with philosophical and abstract reasoning, with Fe having an advantage.
T types do much better with analytical and logical reasoning, with Te having an advantage.
S types do much better with detail recognition, with Si having an advantage.

However - and this is the most important part of the correlation between MBTI and IQ - an individual's performance on an IQ test is generally in proportion to their capacity with their respective functions. For example, and INFJ who has a strong Ni, moderate Fe, weak Ti, and feeble Se is likely going to score strong on pattern recognition, moderate on philosophical reasoning, weak on analytical reasoning, and feeble on detail recognition. Meanwhile, an INFJ with a strong Ni, Fe, and Ti, as well as a moderate Se is likely going to score very well across the board on an IQ test because the other functions will tend to compensate for the lesser Se.

Because of the way the IQ test is designed with pattern recognition as its primary means of interpretation, INTJs are most likely score the highest. The remaining N types generally do very well, as do the STJs. Also, because of the way the 'Gifted' test criteria is designed, the N types are much more prone to being 'Gifted'. As INFJs, we're better suited than most types to score highly on the applications measured by the IQ and Gifted tests, therefore we're going to have higher IQs. I don't think this makes us more intelligent than other types. It just validates our particular type of intelligence because that tends to be the particular type that the test measures.

Finally, for the purpose of answering the thread theme... I had an official IQ test in January of 2008 and scored a 155 (which is a misnomer, since anything over 140 is conjecture). The official IQ test is much different than most of the IQ tests floating around on the internet. Please don't assume any of them to be accurate, as they usually lack the most crucial component - they are not timed. IQ is not just a measure of reasoning capacity, but also the amount of time required to reason.

Last edited:
I believe there are some attempts at making correlations between MBTI type and IQ. I can look around online to see the references. I don't find the ones I've read about particularly compelling, but INFJs rank up there. I believe INTJ comes out the highest.

Very few people seem to understand what an IQ is and there are a bunch of online tests that give inaccurate results. 140 is considered genius and is found is .25% of the population (1 in 400 people). If your IQ is that or higher you would likely have been at least four grade levels advanced for your age throughout most of your development as a child, and would probably have been reading independently around age three or four. The IQ tests are designed to measure average intelligence and become less effective the further from the norm a person's intelligence falls in those specific skill areas.

It's not possible to take an IQ test in an uncontrolled environment like an non-proctored online test and get a result that means anything. IQ primarily measures relative skill levels within a set of peers on specific types of intelligence including spatial, pattern recognition, language, etc. You cannot have an IQ independent of a peer group tested in a controlled setting. Your IQ score is fluid and entirely dependent on the skill level of your peers. It is entirely relative. 100 is average intelligence. The significant majority of the population fall I believe 10-20 points on either side of that. If your IQ is 140, then you are as far from average as someone with an IQ of 60 which would be considered mild mental retardation (IQ 50–69)

Last edited:
Well IQ is slightly correlated with the Big Five Personality trait "Openness to Experience" which is correlated with MBTI Intuition. So intuition users may be likely to have a higher IQ relatively speaking.

That said, the IQ is an abstract reasoning test (there are many other areas of intelligence) so N should do well on this.

If there was a detailed reasoning test (DQ...wait, nevermind) then Sensing would score higher on that.

Sweet, I'm considered genius!

Difficult for me to concentrate while reading, though, as I zone out every other sentence...

Sweet, I'm considered genius!

Difficult for me to concentrate while reading, though, as I zone out every other sentence...

I have done that before. Wait, what was I saying, oh yeah, you probably aren't very interested in the thing you are reading correct? If you are reading for fun, try a different author. I think if you find something you are really into, you will be more focused while reading. If you are referring to these posts, then I guess I need to write clearer.

Last edited:
If no one has proved that IQ=intelligence then why do so many people believe it?

IQ is a good measurement for development. Various IQ tests have been composed for infants, young children, adolescents, and adults. The IQ tests for infants and young children are usually good predictors of how people will score on IQ tests when they are adolescents and adults. As such you can use an IQ test to determine aspects like mental retardation or autism. They are also especially good at measuring giftedness, but they usually have upper limits to the extent they can measure such. In between developmentally disabled and gifted, IQ tests are pretty limited in what they can tell us about people's intelligence. A person with an IQ of 100 isn't necessarily any less intelligent than someone with an IQ of 115 despite being a standard deviation apart. Cultural aspects and the specific design of the measure can account for the difference.

This is from the 80s:
picture-11.png

In the time that I've spent talking about MBTI, I've heard that INTJ, INTP, and INFJ are the most likely to have a high IQ. I cannot find any sources to back this up, however. I don't know my own IQ value.
Disclaimer: Blah blah IQ doesn't represent actual intelligence and all that as well.

Last edited:
I think that IQ tests are way over used. The IQ wasn't even designed to measure intelligence. In fact it ticks me off just thinking about it. I havn't seen any convincing evidence to date that your IQ some how equates to your intelligence.

Can someone offer me said evidence?

Then I must ask, what is your IQ?

When I was 12 I had an IQ of 126, but I can't stand IQ tests.

I don't think IQ has anything to do with it, I think all types have the same chances to be equally intelligent in most fields.
Maybe with INFJs, it depends more on what they find to be meaningful... but then, that could just be because then they actually try XD

I haves is an IQ of 43 and I am smart...But I have 3 friends all with IQs of 40 and we all took the MBTI together thats a iq of 163 combined and it was not effected... We were XNSTFP so I answered the question now what do I get?

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I was wondering in relation to cognitive functions which I think someone did touch upon.

I'm not sure what my views on IQ and MBTI are to be honest.

IQ seems a bit lacking. I am tested as fairly high but I believe this value placed on me can never really measure me fully as far as creativity and other aspects of myself are concerned.

I feel a strange paradox to categorise and at the same time to not. Weird I know.

Anyways keep 'em coming. Thx again.

I am tested as fairly high but I believe this value placed on me can never really measure me fully as far as creativity and other aspects of myself are concerned.

I feel the same. I've never valued my IQ much because of this.

When I was 12 I had an IQ of 126, but I can't stand IQ tests.

I don't think IQ has anything to do with it, I think all types have the same chances to be equally intelligent in most fields.
Maybe with INFJs, it depends more on what they find to be meaningful... but then, that could just be because then they actually try XD
A person with such an IQ would tend to have straight A's in school if that is a priority, and have the capacity to go into most any profession. That score is quite good. You also understand that IQ is dependent on a specific context of measuring it. That was age 12. If it was retaken with a different group of peers, the number would change. The number is not a label you can take with you through life. It is specific to context.

I don't think a person could have an actual IQ of genius or above and have no idea what it means. It's not that deep or complex. The school where I work has some children who would probably measure that high, but they are also 10 years old performing Beethoven concertos on the piano, or six and playing every Bach Invention, or 12 and composing hours of music. People who are geniuses are rather obvious and their accomplishments stand out. Another kid who tested at 140 knew all his multiplication tables at age 5 and studied math at the high school level while in elementary school. These kids also have both advantages and disadvantages. They are often misplaced because of being out of step developmentally with peers. The happiest life is to be slightly above average. This is enough to impress everyone sufficiently without being out of step. People online often report ridiculously high IQs and then post with no evidence of such a level of intelligence. Genius IQs tend to demonstrate themselves without having to declare a number.

Last edited:
Just as a suggestion... if anyone here is judging their IQ based on online IQ tests... don't. They have absolutely no scientifically supported accuracy. If your IQ was sufficiently high, you would already know that.

I was legally tested a number of years ago when my mother sent me to a psychologist because she thought I was psychologically insane. The test informed me that I possessed an IQ level of 135. By the end of it, the doctor informed me that I was an extremely well adjusted and together person, a result to which I think my mother was somewhat disappointed to hear.

I'm proud of my intelligence; it's gifted me with the ability to write, and when I try hard enough, to write well. But I also feel incredibly incapable of making use of my own intelligence; I find it really hard at times to collect my thoughts and ideas and put them into practise.

I can be notoriously bad with my spelling at times, and I also have no capacity for mathematics. Most of my problems mainly stem from the fact that I can't collect my thoughts long enough to process them.

What people need to realise is that IQ is not a simple barometer to measure intelligence. It's not so simple that a higher number automatically equals a smarter person...although a significantly higher number does indicate a person of sufficiently higher cognitive abilities.

Intelligence isn't just about how much you know, but how well you can learn, your mathematical abilities, your ability to understand complex abstract concepts, and many other things besides.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with 'Words of Irony' about online tests compared to offline - they are very much different entities. I also agree with the other user who mentioned that if you are intelligent this is usually something you already know but I would say not always.

I think a lot of things about ourselves can become skewed by our own self-belief, self-confidence, self-esteem and self-worth judgements etc etc - many labels out there for similar things.

I hazard a guess that many INFJs are perhaps skewed in their self appraisals seeing themselves as more negative in many respects and positive in others. But I guess this is true of all types coming to think of it. Me confused.

I can certainly say this of myself. Sorry for sweeping generalisations.