"Intimidating women . . ." | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

"Intimidating women . . ."

Just a topic thrown out for discussion. Nothing wrong with talking about gender based descriptions or stereotypes. :)

Yup, as they do exist.

Reactions: Gaze
They are spoken about as if they are actually real.

Reactions: On my own path
They are spoken about as if they are actually real.

They are real, and if you fail to realise that then it is your own problem.

Stereotypes are based off pieces of truth. While not always true for everyone there is truth to it.

Stereotypes are based off pieces of truth. While not always true for everyone there is truth to it.

Are women bad at math, driving and rational thought?

*minefield alert*

Reactions: IndigoSensor
Black people love chicken, huh?

Black people love chicken, huh?
Well, such things actually might be verifiable by statistics, although it is probably much more a cultural trait than a genetic one.

Are women bad at math, driving and rational thought?

*minefield alert*
Indy's point is entirely valid, and even though they offend people, we should disscuss them because they make people mad. If we all just pussy footed around each other afraid of the backlash of our views then no one will stop believing them.
Even if I get mad, the discussion is NEEDED.

Reactions: Jack
I've never seen statistics that proved this, and I don't know why anyone would do a survey on what race liked chicken the best.

Seriously?

We're simply discussing stereotypes and perceptions. If you don't agree with the stereotype, then express it. Why make it such an issue?

Indy's point is entirely valid, and even though they offend people, we should disscuss them because they make people mad. If we all just pussy footed around each other afraid of the backlash of our views then no one will stop believing them.

Yeah, discussion on how the stereotypes are not true, not embracing them.

Indy said that stereotypes have grains of truth to them. I think most do, but some of them could be based upon culturally-created traits that don't actually have "real" bases. Suppose you visited Egypt and tried riding a camel for the first time, resulting in the birth of a stereotype of white women being inherently bad at riding camels. That happened because you had not been exposed to camels before, and if you had been trained equally with an Arab male, you might have proven perfectly capable of mastering the activity. But the stereotype still got started due to circumstances, and spread to a representation of your identity rather than the circumstances themselves. That's what I'm getting at.

On women vs. men:

Women use more of the part of the brain that's used for developing language and understanding emotions.

Men use more of the part of the brain that's used for perception and calculations.

This is why women come out as F types more than men.

Our brains are not genetically identical.

On Stereotying:

Stereotypes exist for a reason.

They are never 100% true for everyone.

Stereotyping is a natural thing for us to do as it helps us make impressions.

Stereotyping isn't wrong, discriminating against stereotypes is.

Now how about we go back on topic folks?

Screw it, I'm going to go play Starcraft 2.

Yeah, discussion on how the stereotypes are not true, not embracing them.
Fact of the matter is that they are true. Some men do feel intimidated by women for different reasons, and some men find some aspects of femininity to threaten their self-held notion of masculinity. It's entirely real. That doesn't make the stereotype correct (as in women actually are threatening masculinity, maybe they are maybe they aren't) but people do live with the stereotype (men feeling intimidated by women) Just because people are discussing it does not inherently mean that they are embracing the stereotype but by one person explaining how they feel personally in the matter makes the topic of discussion relevant.

Reactions: Gaze
Because they are perceived differently. The reasons why women are considered intimidating are a little different than why a man can be perceived as intimidating. In a woman, it it is considered a negative quality. In a man, usually positive. At least, that's the connotation.

And also as i said, the original topic came from another forum where the issue was "intimidating females" and the feeling that they are a threat to male masculinity.

Personally I do not view someone differently because of their sex or gender. I do not see how being intimidating can be considered a good thing in any circumstance other than when one's life is threatened. Being intimidating can prevent others from standing up to you when you are wrong or when you hurt others. Being intimidating can prevent others from approaching you, even to come to your aide or assistance. Sometimes it may prevent others from sharing themselves with you because they may become afraid to show you vulnerabilities.

As I see it, the problem is that most people seem to forget or neglect that they are not true for everyone. Personally I view a generalisation and a stereotype to be markedly disparate from one another. The latter is a form of over generalisation to me. Personally I think that is perspicacious to insert mitigatory phrases into statements to declare such statement as a generalisation, to avoid affronting others, and to be more precise in one's usage of language. That characteristic of mitigatory phrases can be considered quite useful to prevent unnecessary discord and misunderstandings that can not only induce an "emotional cost" but an "intellectual cost"

Reactions: slant
Okay now you're just being nasty. You're like those little growly dogs, cute and vicious at once!

You are disrespectful and it has brough tot my attention that you are confused. I am not in a relationship w bananaphone.

Seeing as how you are the one exacerbating this thing--who jumped right into my singular comment in the beginning of it and drew attention to it in the first place.. maybe you ought to take it to PMs. We were about done. Don't like it? Ignore it.

I agree.

Last edited:
This is internet, everyone chill out.

Ohhhh, LAWD.

Y'all are all crazy. You're all my crack-addled headcases, and I love every one of you nutz. :m129:

Now, back to the topic at hand...