How much does it matter to you how you're seen or perceived? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

How much does it matter to you how you're seen or perceived?

Great responses!

As with all other parts of myself, usually I walk around with a "I don't care what you think of me, I love myself" attitude. But on other days I go on the opposite curve---getting extremely self critical and conscious. I know I should NEVER dwell in this way because I have everything in the world a person should want. But it is pretty much inevitable.

Recently, I've been getting very conscious about my outer appearance. It bothers me so much that society is so strung up about one's looks. I hate to admit it, but we all judge based on beauty---even me. It's horrible. As someone who appreciates beauty in the world, it is the most difficult thing "imagining" being plain or ugly (paranoia?). What bothers me about this is that it is so hard to self evaluate yourself on these things (especially having lived looking at my own reflection for my entire life). But on certain days you get surprised...today, a random stranger commented how pretty I was compared to other girls my race. Boy was I surprised...

You never know if you're beating yourself up for no reason...but yes, normally I don't give a _____ how people see me. But on particular days, I feel so self conscious.

How much does it matter to you how you're seen or perceived?

Why or why not?
It definitely matters to me, but I don't think I am perceived as the person I truly am. I'm too much of a philosopher I think. I'm that professor guy that wears plaid with polka dots because he just doesn't see or care about the mundane stuff. My burning ambition is to know everything about being human, and to get more people to see it. That isn't a worthy ambition to most people because it doesn't really make money.