How has interacting with people from across the world affected you? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

How has interacting with people from across the world affected you?

Damn! I'll give it to you the day the Lions win the superbowl.

Touche' my young Padawan.

*the force is strong in this one*

:fencing:

hang on slow down, I'm trying to get in synch with you K.... :m180::m097: (Ria getting dizzy again) :m198: (Ria falls down again) :m114: (Ria's all embarrassed now, so she acts like this) haha

Haha..you're too funny M. The monkeys have much love tonight!

:m036: Let's do a litta gansta Rap Ria!!

Ria, Michigan people love Canadians - lol. I think it's because people think Michigan is Canada. *Where is that ogle eyes monkey?* Plus, at least most of my life, I added 'eyeh' or 'ehhh?' on everything and didn't realize it until I moved away. :D AND every Michigan person I know has at least one experience crossing the border to get drunk at 19. See first sentence again - hahahaha!

And when the Lions win the superbowl was so funny - hahahaha - but then again, the Red Wings had a losing streak of what was it? 47 years?

Last edited:
No change, I don't think.
I talk to people as people regardless and learn about culture from the internet, going there, or TV. Occasionally, I've learnt one or two things about culture (especially from my friend in Croatia).

Hard to say, for me. I grew up traveling around the world. So the idea that having interacting with other people from different places around the world is a foregone conclusion.

Although I end up taking the opposite end from enfp in that nature plays a significant role in people. The more I experience people from around the world the singular nature of all humanity is overwhelming unanimous and vastly present. Nurturing has simply filled in the details.
I agree

I have talked to a lot of middle easterners that I have met on LiveMocha which is a free community based website for learning languages. I have gotten more perspectives on America and about the world in general.

I think it helps to cut past some of the BS opinions of short sighted Americans, but it certainly hasn't changed me. My opinions of been altered on certain things though.

Hmm - not really sure how to answer.

From 20 to 27, I spent any chance I could get hanging out with Japanese people here in the states, or studying or working in Japan... That's like a quarter of my life!

I know that spending so much time communicating with Japanese people has made me more accommodating and perhaps a little more reserved with my negative emotions. But I also know that Japan has been referred to as the 'INFJ country' - INFJs seem to flock to Japanese people because our personality matches VERY well with their culture.

I can't tell you how many times I've been talking with a Japanese person and they've told me, "You are Japanese inside your soul".

So has it really changed me or have I naturally gravitated towards what's natural for me? Great question.

Reactions: Gaze

From 20 to 27, I spent any chance I could get hanging out with Japanese people here in the states, or studying or working in Japan... That's like a quarter of my life!

I know that spending so much time communicating with Japanese people has made me more accommodating and perhaps a little more reserved with my negative emotions. But I also know that Japan has been referred to as the 'INFJ country' - INFJs seem to flock to Japanese people because our personality matches VERY well with their culture.

I can't tell you how many times I've been talking with a Japanese person and they've told me, "You are Japanese inside your soul".

So has it really changed me or have I naturally gravitated towards what's natural for me? Great question.

Yea, that makes sense, there are certain cultures that I feel more pulled towards based on my values. Although I must say I am very grateful to have been raised in an environment that welcomes and honors many different cultures from around the world, for the most part.

Reactions: Wyst
Yea, that makes sense, there are certain cultures that I feel more pulled towards based on my values. Although I must say I am very grateful to have been raised in an environment that welcomes and honors many different cultures from around the world, for the most part.

Same here. Though Texas is fairly homogenous, my youngest sister is adopted from India. So we all grew up taking an interest in foreign cultures and learning to be accepting of difference that aren't intuitive like our own customs are.

Do you think you've been changed or affected by the interaction with people from around the world on the forum? How has it changed your attitude, personality, or perspective of people, culture, and typing, etc.?

Definitely.

In the earlier part of my adulthood, I almost fell victim to a Detroit mentality. I love my hometown, but this place closes out the world in a lot of ways.

I've been back and forth between here and other states all of my adult life. But the military really exposed me to other cultures, colors, religions. I haven't looked back.

I have friends (acquaintances) of all types. I cannot live without diversity.

I talked to people outside of California. They do have impact to my life.

Some of them are apart of my support system.

When I get close to someone online, who is from another country, you're forced to see things from different perspectives and by proxy, you develop an interest in their surroundings and their culture because it informs what they say. So yeah, it's definitely eye opening and makes you more wary of difference between people.

Agree.

I disagree with this "Japan is an INFJ country" assertion. The Japanese value emotional restraint, and as an INFJ, I can be more observative initially, but I'm very emotionally expressive. I also speak my mind, even though I consider the pros/cons before I do. My experience with Japanese people, is they suppress their emotions and don't speak their mind for fear of conflict and valuing cohesion above all else. It seems similar to the INFJ valuing of harmony in relationships, but in practice, the behaviors are different.

Ria, Michigan people love Canadians - lol. I think it's because people think Michigan is Canada. *Where is that ogle eyes monkey?* Plus, at least most of my life, I added 'eyeh' or 'ehhh?' on everything and didn't realize it until I moved away. :D AND every Michigan person I know has at least one experience crossing the border to get drunk at 19. See first sentence again - hahahaha!

And when the Lions win the superbowl was so funny - hahahaha - but then again, the Red Wings had a losing streak of what was it? 47 years?

heya Moxie!

haha, your post made me smile, and I'm not too sure about the scores for football, (my bad), but awesome that you have sorta kept in touch with it!

I am so stoked that Michigan'ers came here at 19 to party, lol... Speaking of, it would be so much fun to hang all of us together eh, and smoke a few cigars and have a few drinks. That's one of my dreams now, since I joined this forum. To actually get to meet my family irl :)

sorry this reply took so long, I moved most of my stuf yesterday, and am working today and the rest of Christmas, and finishing up moving and cleaning from now until january 1st. I'll try and be here and there tho! tty'all sooooon...

Reactions: Moxie
I think it is fantastic. It keeps my mind and my hear open!

I disagree with this "Japan is an INFJ country" assertion. The Japanese value emotional restraint, and as an INFJ, I can be more observative initially, but I'm very emotionally expressive. I also speak my mind, even though I consider the pros/cons before I do. My experience with Japanese people, is they suppress their emotions and don't speak their mind for fear of conflict and valuing cohesion above all else. It seems similar to the INFJ valuing of harmony in relationships, but in practice, the behaviors are different.

Just curious... how many years do you have interacting with Japanese people?

WI have been interacting with Japanese members for about 10 years. I have not lived in Japan. It is on a much more limited basis than someone who has lived there. We do have many members that are from Japan (In SGI). I would hesitate saying the whole culture is INFJ.

I worked for many years with international interns...folks from all over the world. These interactions certainly broadened my own perspectives and helped me realize that the dominant culture I live in isn't really dominant everywhere. Lots of good friends...we had lost touch until after 20 years someone recently started a Facebook group. Nice to get back in contact.

heya Moxie!

haha, your post made me smile, and I'm not too sure about the scores for football, (my bad), but awesome that you have sorta kept in touch with it!

I am so stoked that Michigan'ers came here at 19 to party, lol... Speaking of, it would be so much fun to hang all of us together eh, and smoke a few cigars and have a few drinks. That's one of my dreams now, since I joined this forum. To actually get to meet my family irl :)

sorry this reply took so long, I moved most of my stuf yesterday, and am working today and the rest of Christmas, and finishing up moving and cleaning from now until january 1st. I'll try and be here and there tho! tty'all sooooon...

She's right, just about everyone I know went over to Canada to drink at 19, and do a little gambling (good exchange rate you know). I always found Canadians to be friendly and easygoing. Love the accent, eh??