how do you plan to discipline your children? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

how do you plan to discipline your children?

I don't know about the whole "having children" thing.

Reactions: bickelz
I don't know about the whole "having children" thing.
hahaha... My professor from Boston once said that if we placed all the people in the world into the state of Texas, each person would have 1 square mile of space. (268,000 sq miles per 7 billion people = 1.0 sq miles per person). So chill about overpopulation.
:)

Last edited:
SOOOO true. I used a parenting style called attachment parenting: fill them up with all they need, especially love, and they will naturally develop into self assured independent adults.

You promise?

(lol) I used/use this too. I <3 Dr. Sears. But for all that, they still try to throttle each other. Regularly. I never thought it would be this hard.

i already raised my kids, and now i'm having a hand at the grandkids too. i spanked when necessary (this was no longer necessary by the time they were in kindergarten) and i don't give a damn what all the enlightened parenting books say about that.
you've got kids killing everyone out there now, kids killing themselves, kids lashing out, messed up on ritalin and antidepressants. they are just fucked up mini adults now.
i firmly believe this is because they have no authority figure. they have no concept of respect. i firmly believe this is because parents either don't do their job at all or try reasoning with small children instead of correcting their behavior.
children don't have the emotional experience or life skills to reason out why they should do the right thing most of the time.
end of rant. resume your normal activities.

Reactions: bionic
i firmly believe this is because they have no authority figure. they have no concept of respect. i firmly believe this is because parents either don't do their job at all or try reasoning with small children instead of correcting their behavior.

I couldn't agree more with that bolded part. But I must say, new parents often have this mind-set of "oh, if I just love them enough they'll never misbehave and I'll do everything right" and then it is a major shock when their children do indeed misbehave, and since the parents have nothing valid to guide them, (Well, what DO I do, then?) they usually revert to whatever they learned growing up. Or ritalin, or benadryl, or, worst-case scenario abuse or neglect.

I'll never forget trying to tandem nurse mine thinking that would eliminate sibling rivalry. I was an IDIOT.

When I really think about it, I don't have to discipline my kids often. If I have to discipline it is loss of a privilege (which ever is their fav.) I'm quite thankful to have great kids.

4 Words....cheese grater, lemon juice.....

No, I have my boy....(on weekends anyway) and most of the time if he is misbehaving then he loses a privileged....Wii, movie reading a book, etc...
Most of the time though, I sit down and explain to him why he can't do whatever he is doing and we discuss it....he is good like that.
In fact usually he comes and confesses when he has done something he got in trouble for at school or whatnot...even though he knows he may get in trouble from me...he does this because he knows that I am not unfair and I always make sure he understands the reasons for punishment.

My daughter is 18, she told me " I can't ever say I am the person I am in spite of you". It made me realize that as she learned I learned, discipline is not a preset, we learn as we go, for the individual that our child is, for the individual that we are. Apparently, that is what worked for me and my girl ;)

I have a two year old. Exercise won't work with a two year old.

I spank.

I have a two year old. Exercise won't work with a two year old.

I spank.

I am not attacking you but why would you hit your child?

Regular beatings, followed by crushing their self esteem, worked wonders for me! :D

I am not attacking you but why would you hit your child?

When it's necessary I sit down and put her over my knee and I count to three and spank her once and it's over. It's never in anger so it's never misunderstood and she's not afraid of me. She's never been afraid of me. If you saw the spank you'd know that it wasn't threatening but just a physical punishment. Then I give her a hug and tell her I forgive her and love her and we move on. Time outs were traumatic for her. She was really upset and it seemed to really have more of a lasting effect on her than just a spank. It's really not a big deal.

I'd probably have to read a lot of books and talk to some people, maybe attend a few lectures. I would have to research 'child development' before ever having a kid, so that I would know what I'm supposed to do with it. It's not something I would play by ear or 'wing', if I could help it. Truth is I don't know shit about child development, or how the brain develops from infant to adult. I'm not so keen on 'guessing and testing' or speculating when it comes to child rearing.

Reactions: bionic
hahaha... My professor from Boston once said that if we placed all the people in the world into the state of Texas, each person would have 1 square mile of space. (268,000 sq miles per 7 billion people = 1.0 sq miles per person). So chill about overpopulation.
:)

That's not really it.

I don't plan on having any. the creation of more humans is the last thing this planet needs. When I see young children, these words come to mind: 'Innate neanderthal drive to maintain genetic continuity.' gross.

I'd probably have to read a lot of books and talk to some people, maybe attend a few lectures. I would have to research 'child development' before ever having a kid, so that I would know what I'm supposed to do with it. It's not something I would play by ear or 'wing', if I could help it. Truth is I don't know shit about child development, or how the brain develops from infant to adult. I'm not so keen on 'guessing and testing' or speculating when it comes to child rearing.

That is exactly what I did. :)

I don't plan on having any. the creation of more humans is the last thing this planet needs. When I see young children, these words come to mind: 'Innate neanderthal drive to maintain genetic continuity.' gross.

sexy