How do you make an impression?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
How do you make an impression?

My presence alone at times, my smile, my kind words

I activate people. They either ignite, or explode.

Reactions: Lucidmoon
just by being myself. i guess it's a combination of how i project myself and the current mindset of the perceiver that makes for any impression.

By applying tiny brush strokes to form a composition that depicts the interchangeability of light.

Well I try to just be myself which is somewhat quiet and reserved, but I kind of get the impression people are trying to read what's going on in my head all the time.

With an unusual level of politeness. It's a draw-back, I think.

Say things that seem obvious, but aren't.

I observe people (if I haven't had a chance to do so previously), and I seem to know exactly what I have to do to make an impression. People's body language, what they talk about and the way they speak of things can be extremely telling of their personality.

Being very blunt and honest. I'm also quirky and odd. I tend to stick out.

I generally don't try to make any impression at all, not that it would work if I tried. Impressions are too often in the eye of the beholder. No, I just tend to be myself and let whoever it is draw whatever conclusions they like.

With pressure.
*is impressed*
You get laugh of the day. I must warn that it is early though.

As for the question. I find that I have a curious blind spot in that I find it difficult to acertain how others see me. I have a well defined sense of self and no really strong overriding need to connect with lots of people. It isn't that I don't care what people who meet me think, it is just that it never crosses my mind that I should care. Perhaps the distinction is lost but that is the best way I can describe it. I sense that some people can be put off by my nature and try hard not to be offensive. I would say that I come across as I want to be seen, not as I am. I have a very mutable nature. If I don't want to be noticed, I stay in the background and be unobtrusive and invisible. If I am feeling bold and sassy then you will see a different side of me. All are parts of who I am and to some degree or another come out in how I present myself to others. Most times though, I don't really have a need to discern whether others accept me or not, not in a mean, evil way but a "and you not liking me affects me how" kinda way.

I wait until the person does something personally embarrassing, and then they catch me noticing. ^^

Do a barrel roll.

Reactions: jyrffw54
I have no idea. As far as I know, I suck at selling myself.
So my strategies are either honesty or to remain inconspicuous given the circumstances..
I'm still trying to master the fine art of being fluent outside of my own head.
I am still amazed that I have ever managed to impress anyone enough in a job interview to gain steady employment.

Last edited:
When it comes to being in a professional setting (i.e. a job interview etc.), I try to be myself as much as possible. Changing myself to impress others is not something I do. I'll be polite and caring, and say things in an appropriate manner, but I never buy into the whole 'act professional' thing. I am a person with flaws, with less-than-commonly-appreciated traits; and I wont' present myself any better than I would my family, friends, or co-workers. If people can't accept me, then I have no business making an impression on them. I keep reading all these things about what you should or shouldn't reveal about yourself in an interview, how to shake hands etc., but it all seems so impersonal and fake. I try to make an impression by doing what I feel to be appropriate at the time. I often plan what I'm going to do as much as possible beforehand, but I can't force myself to present as any better or worse than I actually am. This is why resumes kill me to write! I hate 'playing up' my good traits.

I mostly put effort into making an impression with people I view as potential friends, but who are so extroverted and fast paced they don't even notice I exist :)

Reactions: Gaze
When it comes to being in a professional setting (i.e. a job interview etc.), I try to be myself as much as possible. Changing myself to impress others is not something I do. I'll be polite and caring, and say things in an appropriate manner, but I never buy into the whole 'act professional' thing. I am a person with flaws, with less-than-commonly-appreciated traits; and I wont' present myself any better than I would my family, friends, or co-workers. If people can't accept me, then I have no business making an impression on them. I keep reading all these things about what you should or shouldn't reveal about yourself in an interview, how to shake hands etc., but it all seems so impersonal and fake. I try to make an impression by doing what I feel to be appropriate at the time. I often plan what I'm going to do as much as possible beforehand, but I can't force myself to present as any better or worse than I actually am. This is why resumes kill me to write! I hate 'playing up' my good traits.

I mostly put effort into making an impression with people I view as potential friends, but who are so extroverted and fast paced they don't even notice I exist :)

Yeah, I struggle with this as well. This doesn't mean i should behave however i choose, because it's important to be respectful and behave appropriately, but i don't enjoy having to put on a professional face at work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonathan