How do you know you're INFJ? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

How do you know you're INFJ?

qwertski said:
You know you're INFJ if you fall for an ENXP! :p

Lol..

My partner's an ENFP! We've only been together for slightly more than a year but somehow, friends and strangers seem to have this impression that we've known each other forever. :)

Although saying that, I've never been attracted to any ENTP... but I do have a good friend who's an ENTP :)

I don't trust these personality tests at all. The questions are way too ambiguous for me. I personally just read through some descriptions of INFJ's one day... it felt like someone had been studying the inner workings of my brain and personality for years and wrote a bunch of articles on it.

When you're INFJ, I mean, less than one percent of the population, and you read a description of yourself that no one else has ever offered, then you show your test results to people who know you well (or as well as you can be known) and they say, "That's you," there can be no doubt. The INFJ description is different even from the other NFs, and I'd have to say definitively, if there is any doubt you're INFJ, you're probably not.

Interesting. *ponders what type he really is*

Lurker said:
ShaiGar said:
INTJs fall for ENFPs
INFJs fall for ENTPs
Yup, usually works that way. Love the ENFPs :D

Same with;
INTJ --> INFJ
INTP --> INFP

*winks at INFJs* ;)

I take is Mrs Qwertski is not fully typed yet, as in unknown x in ENxP?

Isn't it more like INTJ --> INFP and INTP --> INFJ?

So no one likes ENFJ or ENTJs then? :lol:

Shaz- said:
Lurker said:
ShaiGar said:
INTJs fall for ENFPs
INFJs fall for ENTPs

Same with;
INTJ --> INFJ
INTP --> INFP

*winks at INFJs* ;)

They usually love themselves.

I'm an INFJ and, while I do find ENTP's interesting, I'm more likely to fall for an ENFP.

ShaiGar said:
Shaz- said:
Lurker said:
ShaiGar said:
INTJs fall for ENFPs
INFJs fall for ENTPs

Same with;
INTJ --> INFJ
INTP --> INFP

*winks at INFJs* ;)

They usually love themselves.

Perhaps! :p

I am surrounded by a bunch of male ENFJs and they all seem to have a different set of values from INFJs. They like to keep themselves very busy at work and constantly putting their hands up for more projects even though it doesn't bring them more money or recognition - I have no idea why?! They do care about their family. But when work comes in, they have a tendency to place it above their family. Their reason for it, I need to pay the bills... although their partners are working professionals.

One ENFJ promptly forgot about his wedding anniversary, jetted off to an unimportant conference (he volunteered for it because nobody else wants to go) and left his wife behind. Of course when he realised it, he tried to make it up to his wife... by bringing her along to another one of his work-trips. :shock:

Maybe that's the reason why?

I've read somewhere that ENFJs are supposed to be 'mentors' of INFJs but I really don't think so! Not when they are your peers. I feel that at work, INFJs tend to be overshadowed by ENFJs as we are not as vocal about our achievements.

G.Kai said:
When you're INFJ, I mean, less than one percent of the population, and you read a description of yourself that no one else has ever offered, then you show your test results to people who know you well (or as well as you can be known) and they say, "That's you," there can be no doubt. The INFJ description is different even from the other NFs, and I'd have to say definitively, if there is any doubt you're INFJ, you're probably not.

Why place so much faith in those statistics, descriptions and tests? MBTI is fuzzy at best, there is plenty of room for being unsure of your type, it just means you have more introspection to do. What do you think of the fact that people are generally distributed right down the middle of the preference spectrum? as in rather than there being a definite group of people who are S's and people who are N's, most people fall somewhere in the middle of these two and this is applys to all of the preferences.

Shaz- said:

Well apparently two introverts are not supposed to match :roll:

The theory is;
INTJ --> ENFP or ENTP
INFJ --> ENTP or ENFP (or Coke)
INTP --> ENTJ or ESTJ
INFP --> ENFJ or ESFJ

The idea is that the dominant function should be shared but inverted ie INFJs = Ni, ENTP and ENFP = Ne.

It's all based on theories n' junk so take it as a reference not gospel. All I know is I usually like ENFPs :mrgreen:

Lurker said:
Shaz- said:

Well apparently two introverts are not supposed to match :roll:

The theory is;
INTJ --> ENFP or ENTP
INFJ --> ENTP or ENFP (or Coke)
INTP --> ENTJ or ESTJ
INFP --> ENFJ or ESFJ

The idea is that the dominant function should be shared but inverted ie INFJs = Ni, ENTP and ENFP = Ne.

It's all based on theories n' junk so take it as a reference not gospel. All I know is I usually like ENFPs :mrgreen:

I remember being quite surprised on the INTJ forum when I saw so many INTJs falling for INFPs (there was also a poll in the INTP forum where INFJs came up as best match). Maybe nerds like introverts better though :lol:

This said, there are best matches theories everywhere... Are INTPs and ESTJs that compatible??? I can't really imagine it...

no! :p

I don't buy into the "best match" thing at all. I've heard ESFJs are supposed to be a good match for us, but I only know one that I really, really like. One other I got off to a good start with, but over about a year she semi-drove me away. I've been instantly repelled by every other one I've known ;) . On the other hand, I have an ESFP friend who's pretty much awesome... I dunno what I'd do without the guy. He's unnaturally reflective for an ESFP though. My dad's an ENTJ, so I can't imagine going for one of them either (he's a tad overbearing)... and ESTJs are supposed to be even more "controlling." ...I can see how we'd be drawn to INFJs from the portraits... although I dunno for sure because I don't know any in real life.

it really comes down to the individual though, it seems...

Stone said:
G.Kai said:

Why place so much faith in those statistics, descriptions and tests? MBTI is fuzzy at best, there is plenty of room for being unsure of your type, it just means you have more introspection to do. What do you think of the fact that people are generally distributed right down the middle of the preference spectrum? as in rather than there being a definite group of people who are S's and people who are N's, most people fall somewhere in the middle of these two and this is applys to all of the preferences.

No argument here with your description. As for the MBTI being fuzzy, I don't think it's the test itself that's fuzzy. I think the problem lies with those who write about types and try to make them fit into immutable criteria. I've never seen an MBTI score that is completely one way or the other. There are always gradients within each dichotomy. Also, the types are often referred to as "peronality preferences," so perhaps we have had some choice in becoming who we are. I've seen many SFPs who exhibit NF behavior, and many ENTJs who show SJ traits, especially in the leadership department. My own personal interest in the MBTI and KTS is strictly the S-N dichotomy. As for statistics, as I mentioned before, over 90% of all police officers and detectives score SJ or SP. A more recent study also shows a positive correlation of significance between N-types and what might be called "liberal politics," although I would choose a different description. I think the MBTI does a great job of identifying and differentiating sensing and intuitive types, especially when they are extreme. It could use improvement. My hope is that this tool will help intuitive people feel less lost and give them a sense of self-esteem that comes from knowing deeply who they are.

I guess the problem I had with what you said was your use of the word "definitively", in my opinion there is nothing about personality typing that is truly definitive.

Why wouldn't an INFJ doubt their type?

Stone said:
I guess the problem I had with what you said was your use of the word "definitively", in my opinion there is nothing about personality typing that is truly definitive.

Why wouldn't an INFJ doubt their type?

I guess some people have more extreme preferences than others, no? People who are in the middle have a harder time figuring out where they fit - they just have a bit of both or something.

I don't see why an INFJ couldn't doubt their type. Because it's a rare type though the description of it is more likely to match you than say, an ESFJ (obviously 13% of the population isn't gonna be the same). What I mean is so many people have an "aha" moment discovering they're INFJs because they've been wondering why they don't fit in the mould, and because they're a minority... But it doesn't mean that it's always like that.

I had a period of doubt about my typology for a while; I tested as INFJ several times, and then I had a major geographical shift (back home from foreign exchange), and it suddenly changed. I retested as an INFJ again, and now that I think about it, one of the main reasons my type may have shifted was because that time was very busy, very stressful, and slightly desensitizing.
In other words, in my natural state when I can think and ponder freely without stress overload, I am INFJ. I feel closest to the description, and I relate with a lot of the topics here, so I don't really doubt that; I could ask some friends, but I think only my sister could give a really accurate answer because she's the only one that really knows me.
But under stressful circumstances when I CAN'T just let my mind wander on the universe around me because I'm too busy worrying, I think my personality shifts a little.
Also, I tested as an INTJ after a series of math and language tests, but I think that's pretty self-explanatory.
Does anyone else relate or agree with the idea of outside conflict effecting personality?

gloomy-optimist said:
I could ask some friends, but I think only my sister could give a really accurate answer because she's the only one that really knows me.

Well, this is a very telling statement, gloomy. That, and the fact that you know exactly how to use a semi-colon. ;)

Hmmm INTJ, INTP, INFP maybe even ENFJ (with social anxiety instead of introversion).

Living with an ESFJ often makes me feel very T and very P.

My sister is one (ESFJ) she makes me more T and even more J.

Ohhh seriously! I thought that was just me! The "T" thing.. I wonder why this is.

I had a period of doubt about my typology for a while; I tested as INFJ several times, and then I had a major geographical shift (back home from foreign exchange), and it suddenly changed. I retested as an INFJ again, and now that I think about it, one of the main reasons my type may have shifted was because that time was very busy, very stressful, and slightly desensitizing.
Does anyone else relate or agree with the idea of outside conflict effecting personality?

Yes, absolutely. I've experienced this often.

I think my "F" is somethings interchangeable with "T". *shrugs*