How do you handle constructive criticism? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

How do you handle constructive criticism?

A few questions here:

How do you handle constructive criticism from a higher up or from a colleague?

Do you get stressed easily at work?

On a team, are you the Positive Pat or Negative Nelly?

Are you happy in your career choice?

1. I have to admit that it hasn't been easy for me, but I made a massive progress with learning how to process criticism effectively. In the past, it felt always so painful, like just slightest criticism was questioning my whole worthiness. But then I realised that it's my inner issue and I have to find a new way to approach. So there are couple points that I always try to focus on.
- I always look for a substance and facts
In every feedback, there is a portion of criticism that has to do with facts and substance like when someone names what you have/haven't done like 'you should write this article longer', 'you should form your thoughts more clearly'. And I always try to focus on that and ask myself 'what is within my power to change it/improve?'.
- I try to distinguish what's constructive and what's just some kind of 'personal bullshit' (=personal preferences, different opinion, taste, way of doing sth...)'.
I would argue that it shouldn't be ignored who is criticising because sometimes it's just a matter of personal preferences - they are saying about what they think is right/correct/appropriate and they even make it sound like 'this is how it should be!' but still it can be just subjective viewpoint. I think it comes down to interpreting the feedback in the context of the whole setting and situation to really understand why this person is saying what he/she is saying, what it has to do with who they are, what are the fact he/she is referring to and how I can use that feedback for my own personal growth tailored to who I am.

2. I can get very stressed but it all depends to the vibe of my workplace. What is stressing me out the most is when someone is disturbing me and not giving me a chance to organise myself and focus on given tasks.

3. Positive Pat, most of the time :p

4. I am just building my career so I have a long way to go. I am a foreigner in UK and I am trying to build my life here. It hasn't been easy but deep down inside I know that it's worth it. More than anything else, I wish to have a fulfilling satisfying career related to my passions.

A few questions here:

Yea, I get stressed rather quickly, however I also know how to deal with that, so it's ok. I love criticism, I see it as a good thing, which allows me to learn more about my own biased views.

When it comes to positivity and negativity, I'm usually.. it depends. I have been on both sides, so it really depends on the people that I work with. I'm quite flexible, so it fluctuates.

Am I happy in my career choice? Fuck yeah and I'm not stopping.

A few questions here:

1. I worked with an ENTJ, he sure helped me to develop some thick skin.
2. Only if it's detail-oriented work which I suck at.
3. Positive Pat definitely. Positivity can do wonders at times.
4. Not yet, I'm still working to find my fulfilling job.

I just received some constructive criticism on a project I've been working on.

The person involved definitely did not pull any punches, and it wasn't easy to take. But the thing is, I knew it was constructive. They also pointed out the good things about it, and I knew they weren't empty compliments. So I took what they said on board, and made the changes that I thought were worthy of making.

It was also helpful from a personal point, because it can be hard to tell between actual constructive criticism, and destructive criticism wrapped in a constructive voice. I'd take criticism that's brutal but true, over empty praise any day.

Reactions: jkxx, AUM and Wyote
Depends on the context and the way it was delivered. I would take constructive criticism over lack of authenticity, without a doubt. However, sometimes it can sting.

My father is an ENTJ, and I have gotten used to his way of constructive criticism and was actually happy because it has taught me to push over the limits and actually take it as tough love with good meaning behind it.

Reactions: jkxx and Ren
However, sometimes it can sting.

Yeah, I think there's always a balance to be struck between honesty/truthfulness and care for the person's feelings.

Neither the bluntest honesty nor the sweetest hypocrisy are going to work. And I think that applies to constructive criticism too. Even constructive criticism has to be worded with care. Some people are very good at that kind of thing and that makes them gifted motivators.

This is a tough one for me. I feel like I'm very adept at giving constructive critical feedback (i.e., pointing out correctable flaws or shortcomings in an effort to help) but people often take it personally when in fact I almost never mean it as a personal offense.

Meanwhile, I bristle at just about any criticism directed at myself because some neurotic part of me assumes that the person delivering the criticism is building a running tally of my mistakes, and with each successive one I'm drifting further onto the "abject failure" side of the ledger. How others perceive my words and ideas is very important to me, because once it gets to the point where I'm not taken seriously I may as well not bother.

So I'm probably reacting the same way others react when I try to be "helpful." :disappointed:

Criticize me and I’ll cut you. :smilingimp:

giphy.gif