How do you feel about Public Speaking. | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

How do you feel about Public Speaking.

I like it, but only when I know what i'm doing. There are multiple tactics that I use when public speaking.

If i'm nervous, concentrate on various aspects related to how the material is presented. Enunciation, content.

Form a connection with the audience, read the energy of the room and speak as though you were speaking to every individual in the room.

Focus on how competent you are, don't let your doubts throw you off.

This is what I like about public speaking. On the other hand, if I have a lot of uncertainty about the material, then I can be in a hurry to get it over with.

Reactions: poetrygirl
Think I'll pass if I can anymore, and need some time to get back into my comfort zone if put on the spot. I get nervous and kind of warm feeling.
Doesn't much bother me on the keyboard, though.

If I well prepared and in a setting of people that I know I'm good. But with a huge audience not knowing exactly what I want to say Yikes! :m192:

Most of the time I love it but I prefer it not be too formal so that I can tell some jokes to loosen up myself and the audience... The whole process is one of building then releasing tension; like... sex with a lion.

Whoa, beastiality in the EXTREME! Yikes! :lol:

But I actually kind of like public speaking. I'm weird, even among INFJ's - I'm certainly an introvert, but I'm not shy at all. I just need to get away to recharge. But I love connecting with people - crave it in fact - so if I can crack a joke and connect with the audience, even better!

I went to a Liberal Arts school, and Public Speaking was one of the Gen Ed's. There were 2 prof's. One was easy, and gave nearly straight A's. The other was very strict, had lots of required reading, and actually graded you on performance. I took the latter Prof - I didn't want an easy A, I wanted to learn! :)

I had to do a presentation in front of about 100 hundred people for an assignment last year. It was about proposing to an (imaginary) client about building an e-commerce system for them. We wore suits and everything. That one sucked.

Until our Power-Point slides stopped working.

Heh, I had a similar experience. I had to do a presentation for one of my classes. Every class room has a projector and a Power Point computer, so I whipped up a nifty Power Point deal... Only I had a newer version of it than the school did, and it failed horribly when I tried to run it. Not cool. So I switched gears. "Okay then. Everyone pull out your text books. Chapter 7..." The material was pretty much straight from the text, I was just expanding on certain concepts. The prof later told me he was really impressed with how quickly and effectively I rescued my presentation. :D

EDIT: Good luck Michelle!

Last edited:
My next socially suicidal speech will be on Gothicism for english. I'll make everyone wear stethoscopes, burst their eardrums and become immutably self-effacing, outwitting any reasonable marking criteria!

Gosh I'm so volatile. I totally love it, at least right now. I have a presentation and for the first time in my life I'm relaxed and cool about it. I actually think it will go great, and another thing for the first time: I'm going to have staple points and improvise rather than writing an 'essay' and memorizing it. ;)

So far my developent goes, it is progressing :)

Last edited:
How do you feel about Public Speaking?

About the same way Marie Antoinette probably felt about the guillotine.

Reactions: TheLastMohican
I'll be honest. I hate it because the criticism I get for what I say makes me feel like shit. I can do it and I do try, but it really feels like wasted effort sometimes.

i LOVE making public announcements.. public speaking is a fairly strong area for me...

Nauseas!

I will never do it. In school I would take an F because I wouldn't do it.

I'll be honest. I hate it because the criticism I get for what I say makes me feel like shit. I can do it and I do try, but it really feels like wasted effort sometimes.

Awww =/ I guess it depends on where you speak and who for. I always get such positive feedback that I get frustrated for having received no constructive criticism!

I have no stage fright. I've spoken in front of several groups of people so far. I always have my notecard with a few points. I have found that the problem I have with Public Speaking is only when I have to memorize something. If it's just me and my opinions on something, or I'm representing a group and I have a specific topic, I'm fine. I never say the word like or um. The only time I had to get up and do a speech and felt shitty about it afterwards was a time where the topic was changed and my planned speech wasn't appropriate for the topic. I had to alter it on the spot with no notice and was pretty pissed off and let down on myself that I didn't have anything interesting to say on the topic. I'm not spontaneous and HATE being put on the spot.

As long as I'm talking about something I care about, I love public speaking. It gives me a way to express myself.

Last edited:
i have been in social phobic self help groups for years and i have noticed that most of those, who are generally much less social phobic than me, have much higher anxiety on a stage than me. they always want to DO a show. i am not programmed that way, because, being the mute guy, i never participate in any social "show" behavior. for me its a small step from outsider to preacher. as such, i AM the show. i am not afraid of criticism, i am afraid of the fight for boundaries. if they don ask me to participate in life, i will stay a home forever. if they ask me to go on stage, there i am.

(i am simplifying my self a little, do demonstrate the distinction of two styles of social anxiety)

Maybe you don't appear as socially phobic as you actually are -- and thus are projecting the idea that the others in your group are less socially phobic than you are -- when in fact they're sweating bullets. Not of course, trying to diminish your feelings, just put them into perspective. :md:

I find that my morale lacks stability, so thusly if I have a low morale, it typically becomes even lower as I encounter obstacles -- whereas if I have a high morale it is difficult to reduce unless several successive failures cause morale to drop past a certain point -- then it goes down easily.

I mention this because it is completely relevant to my ability to speak in public.

I'm not too great at it but when I'm very passionate about something, I can do it well I think, but I'd still be very nervous, especially during the beginning part of it.

How'd it go?

Ahhh lovely, you remembered <3

I actually did it today and it went fabulous. I was confident, slightly nervous (but the good boosting anxiety :)). I had greats arguments, examples and reasoning ever. Although most important of all I followed THE CRITERIA.So far so good...

So I was the first one to do my presentation. However when I finished there was no input and no engagement from my teacher's side whereas with all the others he engaged and asked questions that raised their grades.

[the maximum mark was 20]

Furthermore, I had chased him several times during the day for several reasons and I asked him to please judge me carefully and he GOES:
"I can tell you this straight away that you will not get over 15" and then he and said "but close" andh gave of a wink.

This totally broke my heart because I feel that I was treated unfair and because I fulfill all the criterias of the top marks.

I imagine this is extremely odd for an INTP, but I actually ENJOY public speaking...and I'm very very good at it. My secret is to not read notes. I know the subject beforehand and just start talking about it as if I'm talking to a couple friends.

Although in high school I demolished the debate class, I'm not fond of public debate because of how many people use fallacious arguments and get away with it. Whole audiences have been convinced by my opponent's fallacious ad populum or "two wrongs make a right" arguments, and it takes me half my alotted time to explain why these arguments are fallacies. Luckily, I've always gotten over it and I never did lose a debate in high school debate class. :)

Furthermore, I had chased him several times during the day for several reasons and I asked him to please judge me carefully and he GOES:
"I can tell you this straight away that you will not get over 15" and then he and said "but close" andh gave of a wink.

This totally broke my heart because I feel that I was treated unfair and because I fulfill all the criterias of the top marks.

Fulfilling criteria is one thing, but was your argument/reasoning sound? Were you convincing? If not then you can fulfill criteria and still get a lower mark.

I wish I would have been around to respond to this thread, I would have helped you if you wanted my help. You could have just sent a copy of your speech to me.