Honor Killings and Domestic Violence? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Honor Killings and Domestic Violence?

I don't deal very well with these subjects.
Honor killings, domestic violence, rape, assault, harrassment, it's all very f*ed up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jexocuha
Killing is bad.

Stuff cultural differences; It. Is. That. Simple.

I don't deal very well with these subjects.
Honor killings, domestic violence, rape, assault, harrassment, it's all very f*ed up.

+1000

Anyone who attempts to take away another’s liberties in those manners are the scourge of society ime.

I can see honor with some kind of self sacrifice for the sake of others. But I don't see how there can be honor by killing somebody else against their will. It's the most selfish thing a person can do.

I can see honor with some kind of self sacrifice for the sake of others. But I don't see how there can be honor by killing somebody else against their will. It's the most selfish thing a person can do.

Interpreted through our cultural lens.

I went to Sundance last night, and watched a documentary set in Iraq titled "Quest for Honor". The movie itself was very emotionally detached, and not one of the best I have seen, but the maker of the film especially stressed one point.

It's not Iraq,
It's not the Middle East,
It's everywhere.

The stat was used in the film that 4 USA women per day will be killed by Domestic Violence. My two grandmothers who I viewed the film with said that the concept of killing women out of anger is common around the world, so therefore, it is everywhere.

But the film was talking about a specific type of killings- Honor Killings, where an Uncle, Husband, Father, or Male cousin will kill a female relative under the excuse of Honor. The definition of Honor was never said, but a woman can be killed for relations outside of marriage or because she owned a cellphone behind her husband's back. I believe the difference between Honor Killing and Domestic Violence is that Honor Killings are purely cultural. Yes, women do get battered and killed other places, even here in the United States, but I think this is much different. Some countries appear to be less socially free and less socially advanced, and I think Honor Killings are more likely in those societies. It is almost unheard of in America for a father and a cousin to get together and say "Oh yes, we should kill her, for our Honor,"

I was also told that the term 'Honor' is the same as calling a woman a bitch here in America. That, the excuse that a man killed his wife because she was a bitch is the same as Honor in these other countries.

I think it's a very complex issue and it would be interesting to see your point of views.

Is it Cultural, or does it happen everywhere?
How do you define the difference between Honor Killings and Domestic Violence, or are they the same? On a less serious not...Why do they call them Honor Killings, why not testosterone killings? Men are the killers in these cultures, and I can only assume the reason.

Hmm.. I think any form of dv can and will be cultural due to environment from growing up. And it creates a culture of violence or was a gained culture from childhood. So yeah. It would definitely depend, but what one finds acceptable in a relationship would be defined differently from another, and that’s the cultural barrier that everyone will answer different. I don’t think it’s wrong to continue to try to self improve when it comes to learning how to be more respectful and loving and change those perceived expectations that we allow for ourselves as individuals and in relationships. What I find acceptable may not be acceptable for another and protecting that conscience is a part of each individuals life path and growth of relationships.
Do I have anymore input on that matter? No. More than likely not. I think that it’s best to view relationships without sex roles as it cultivates an environment of acceptance of differences and therefore reduces violence, but the truth is that it occurs and finding the answers for that is apart of growing as an individual.
I see it as something being lawful to do such as corporal punishment in one area, doesn’t make it beneficial to do for my kids growth. That’s a single example but not my full point or something I’d fully agree to.
It’s like beating your wife you may get away and it’s okay because it’s lawful, but it doesn’t make it okay to do. The fact that another culture does it and I’m disgusted won’t change that I feel disgusted because I have a different idea of “culture” in that situation— so I understand that seeing it as a culture is important. It’s okay there, but it’s not okay for me, that’s my “culture” and sense of self. A part of change and making new choices with love and respect and using them both at the same time is a part of self acceptance, healing, and growth for yourself and those around you. :)
I feel off topic, but those are my thoughts in the middle of what I’m going through with dv.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandie33
Is it Cultural, or does it happen everywhere?
—I’m from the Central American culture and I never heard of “honor killings” being legal there. I’m pretty sure if you go to the police and say you killed your wife because you caught her in a gangbang with the MS-13, it’s likely that you will be arrested and charged with murder. I think honor killings are more common within the Islamic religion and nations that cherry pick the Quran in order to allow honor killings to be legal as long as Allah approves.

How do you define the difference between Honor Killings and Domestic Violence, or are they the same?
—Technically, yes. They are both disgusting and the “honor” should be removed from the wording.
I do remember reading about a case in Pakistan where the husband slaughtered the wife, not for cheating but for killing their child. For a second I felt okay about it but then realized, that woman should have been made to rot in a prison instead.

On a less serious note…Why do they call them Honor Killings, why not testosterone killings? Men are the killers in these cultures, and I can only assume the reason.
—This point is why I feel the honor killing tolerance in some countries is a fucking joke. It sure seems like the women are not allowed to do the same and kill their cheating husbands for dishonoring them. Meanwhile, the Quran is taught to both men and women, therefore women should also be able to honor kill their turd cheaters.
But I’m sure those soft serve assholes make sure that only they get to kill the women in the name of religion. That is why I don’t respect them and their cluelessness. Killing people for Allah, who still has them living in poverty for centuries. Just absolutely absurd. Sorry, I don’t mean to bash the Islamic religion but I have to call shit the way I see it.
And honestly, let’s get to the real reason “honor killings” exist, stupid fucking society, ego, and mfers not minding their business.
Cause these killings go like this:
“Your infidelity hurt me, what will the neighbors say and think of me?, so I must kill you so society respects me again.” Without that factor, there wouldn’t be honor killings and just plain murder by someone who is worried about what others think…which is not a reason to tolerate murderers.

Last edited: