God is a sexist, homophobic, proslavery, sadistic, murderer | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

God is a sexist, homophobic, proslavery, sadistic, murderer

ShaiGar said:
Kwistalline said:
Shai, three rules on keeping flowers fresh. First, every other day or so you need to cut 1/2'' off the stem to keep make the water available to the living part of the flower (the bottom of the stem dies first-it won't absorb water and should be cut off when it gets clotted with fibrin)

Second, cut flowers ought to come with packets of flower food. Ever tried those/had your g/f or date try those? They work wonders on extending the life of cut flowers. I think they are mainly glucose.

Third and most obvious, change the water daily!! ;)
Still dies.

Hm. Stop buying them from the gas station!!

Everything living dies, thats part of why flowers are so beautiful, they are fragile.

What about God being a murderer?

He gave humans free will. I'd say that caused enough murders.

Kwistalline said:
"God is . . .proslavery". God never states "I love/promote slavery". He merely allowed it. Just as he has allowed other things most Christians today would tend to believe are unbiblical.

I would say that setting the price, declaring slaves are porpeerty, and setting rules for how they should be treated and how they should behave goes way beyond "allowing" slavery.

A wise man once told me that biblical examples are not the same as bibilical commands. One of them being King David and King Solomon and their several wives/hundreds of concubines. God never denounces polygamy, in fact, he doesn't really say anything on that matter except in I timothy with regards to Overseers and Deacons, and how they must only have one wife. So here's what I'm going to do. I'll quote ya back some on slavery after I give you this example on Divorce.

"I hate Divorce, says the Lord God of Israel (Malachi 2:16)". Wait a minute, he allowed the Isrealites permission to divorce (Deuteronomy 24:1) "When a man takes a wife and marries her, and it happens that she finds no favor in his eyes because he has found some indecency in her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce and puts it in her hand and sends her out from his house".

First in Deuteronomy God gives the ok for divorce. Centuries later in Malachi he states he hates divorce. What happened? Did God change his mind? I think that Matthew 19 better explains it. The pharisees ask a question about the lawfulness of divorce, "They said to Him, "Why then did Moses command to GIVE HER A CERTIFICATE OF DIVORCE AND SEND her AWAY?" He said to them, "Because of your hardness of heart Moses permitted you to divorce your wives; but from the beginning it has not been this way. And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery." Matthew 19 is more extensive than this, but I encourage you to read it for yourself. Moses is being state here as allowing them to divorce, but he would not have been able to do so without God's permission (I don't think you need any examples of what happens to people when they misinterpret or add to God's word/do not obey him!!).

Just a note that none of this has anything to do with slavery.

Now where slavery is concerned, context is king. Take these examples:

Gen 43:18-rest of chapter would seem to imply that slavery was a socially recognized and accepted punishment for theft "It is because of the money that was returned in our sacks the first time that we are being brought in, that he may seek occasion against us and fall upon us, and take us for slaves with our donkeys." "Why should we die before your eyes, both we and our land? Buy us and our land for food, and we and our land will be slaves to Pharaoh". Though I would argue that any indiscretion or law-breaking would have justified the making of or offering of the self to a life/allotted time of servitude.

2 Kings 4:1 "Now a certain woman of the wives of the sons of the prophets cried out to Elisha, "Your servant my husband is dead, and you know that your servant feared the LORD; and the creditor has come to take my two children to be his slaves"

This last verse from 2 Kings definitely implies that slavery is a form of paying off a debt, which some would agree was the more common form of slavery accepted at that time.

Ah, so we are back to "context and culture" again. Interesting. God really expects us to have an excellent grasp of how the people lived over 2,000 years ago, doesn't he?

But then their was the indentured slave, bought from birth to serve throughout his lifetime with no hope for freedom. All I can offer you from the NT are passages that instruct a slave on how to serve his master in a Christian manner. I can expound upon the reasons I believe Paul gave advice for how to serve as a slave, but I won't do so now. I have to work tonight (I do night shift and I love it!!), for one, and second, it would take too long. Best to make replies shorter in order to get the most out of a response, IMO. Otherwise people get bored with the mini-books.

I don't believe that is historically correct. I think indentured slaves were people who sold themselves into slavery to pay off their debts.

I can't give you much else besides my personal opinion. I do not believe God promoted slavery. Sure, he allowed it, but if he was, indeed, proslavery, than it can also be argued that he was pro-divorce and pro-polygamy. But he never says either way whether he is for or against it. There are merely examples of him allowing it to exist, which are not the same as commands for their existence.

Good point. I'll add pro polygamy and divorce to my list. ;)

So, Satya, you're either in Utah-pia or Independance, MO. ;)

I live in a place where there are more LDS per capita than Utah.

sriv said:
What about God being a murderer?

He gave humans free will. I'd say that caused enough murders.

That is one argument that could be made.

We are getting a bit ahead of ourselves since we haven't gotten to God's sadism yet, but how about Noah's Flood? Sodom and Gomorrah? There are plenty of cases in the Bible where God kills the "wicked." And considering that God is suppose to be omnipotent and omniscient, you know he knew long, long beforehand how things would turn out and planned to kill all those people before they were even born. I would say that is millions of cases of first degree murder.

And of course there are those previously mentioned cases where he asks his believers to kill adulterers, rebellious teenagers, homosexuals, and Sabbath scabs. I think that demands some "conspiracy to commit homicide" charges.

Satya said:
Anyone who has read the Bible (particularly the Old Testament) could easily come to that conclusion. So why do people choose to worship him?

I won't quote scripture because I have never read the bible for fun, my beliefs and convictions are a direct result of my upbringing, my experiences, and my own moral code.

The basic question I see is: why do people worship a God with so many evil qualities? The simple answer without the all the fluff ...

We need something bigger than ourselves to believe in. That's it.

Here's the fluff -
Some need to believe in a higher being because it gives them hope, others because they need someone to blame/praise for the events in their life, and then there are those that don't even really choose so to speak, they just follow blindly because that's what they were taught.

Now that we know why we believe, let's talk about why we believe in a cruel God. Well, because he's not. The bible and the stories it is based on were written by men, and hence the view presented is merely men's perception which are biased by surroundings, personal beliefs, and time among other factors. While it is true that God can be percieved as sexist, homophobic, proslavery, sadistic, and murderering; he may also be percieved as forgiving, loving, protective and gentle. Just depends on who is telling the story and how the events affected the them.

My choice -
I chose to believe because it gives me hope in a life to come, it gives me reason to live this life the best I can, and ultimately it makes me a better person. That's not to say that those that don't believe are not good people (I know many very kind and wonderful Atheist and Agnostics), but I would not be who I am without my faith. I chose to believe in the Christian God because he IS flawed and I can relate to that - I can get mad at him, just as he can get mad at me, I can seek his wisdom within myself because I was made in his image, I can be who I chose to be because he gave me free will, and I can make a mistake and know that it will be forgiven because he does not expect perfection.

CokeNut said:
My choice -
I chose to believe because it gives me hope in a life to come, it gives me reason to live this life the best I can, and ultimately it makes me a better person. That's not to say that those that don't believe are not good people (I know many very kind and wonderful Atheist and Agnostics), but I would not be who I am without my faith. I chose to believe in the Christian God because he IS flawed and I can relate to that - I can get mad at him, just as he can get mad at me, I can seek his wisdom within myself because I was made in his image, I can be who I chose to be because he gave me free will, and I can make a mistake and know that it will be forgiven because he does not expect perfection.

Are you sure you chose the Christian God because he is suppose to be the perfect, omnipotent, and omniscient creator and ruler of the universe? You know, kinda like Santa Clause, but with an infinitely bigger stick to hit people with when they have been bad.

Although, I too believe in a God like the one you have mentioned. :D

Satya said:
Are you sure you chose the Christian God because he is suppose to be the perfect, omnipotent, and omniscient creator and ruler of the universe? You know, kinda like Santa Clause, but with an infinitely bigger stick to hit people with when they have been bad.

Although, I too believe in a God like the one you have mentioned. :D

I chose him because he is not perfect ... but yeah, the fact that he is all powerful in my mind probably does influence me to 'behave' more than if he were limited :roll:

CokeNut said:
I chose him because he is not perfect ... but yeah, the fact that he is all powerful in my mind probably does influence me to 'behave' more than if he were limited :roll:

Are you implying that you would not behave if he didn't exist?

Is He more of a symbol/ideal than a true belief for you?

I'm a very curious boy.

sriv said:
CokeNut said:

Are you implying that you would not behave if he didn't exist?

Is He more of a symbol/ideal than a true belief for you?

I'm a very curious boy.

In answer to your first question, yes. I think that I would sin more if I felt there were no consequences to my behavior. Not serial killer or anything of the sort, but lets keep in mind that I am ESTP with a hightend need for sensual stimulation and gratification. Maybe without the promise of heaven and eternal life I would be more apt to take whatever pleasure (and by whatever means necessary) in this life. Now this is all speculation, maybe I would be the same person without my faith, who knows? I do have a strict moral code which is what makes me who I am, but I don't know if that is a character trait, my upbringing, or a product of my faith.

In answer to your second question, quite the contrary, he is VERY real to me, hence the tendency to behave in a way that would make him proud of me and not want to 'punish' me. A symbol is unintimidating; it may be something to be respected (not just a religious symbol but any symbol such as a flag or monument) but it is not something that can affect my life in anyway.

As for curious, no worries ... ask away!

Satya, I promise I will get back to you, but I've reached that point in my work schedule where, instead of having several days off (last week and the week before I had about 4 days off), I only have one or two in between shifts. Combine that sucky schedule with this huge dress and the massive embroidery I have to do? Little time for good research. It was easier for me to debate sexism and homophobia in the Christian realm mostly b/c they are the most common attacks on my God. These last ones will require knowledge I don't have on hand, which requires time I don't have right now.

I'm not copping out, I'm just saying that I won't be on this thread for about two weeks (unless I need a break from gold thread and pearls . . .). Sorry!

I'll be back
. . . (insert unspecified period of time sometime after June 23rd . . .)

Elizabeth said:
A corset? Cool! In high school, I was an 1860's historical reenactor at a local open-air history museum. I loved the clothes. :)
Hey, me too! well, it was the 1870s... close enough. But I didn't have to wear hoops!

Satya said:
And yet I don't find anywhere near as much condemnation of adulterers, rebellious teenagers, and Sabbath scabs as I do of homosexuality. And it concerns me, because there are no nonreligious arguments to be made against homosexuality. Even NARTH bases all its arguments on its belief that God had a specific role in mind for males and females. I've traced all of the oppression and discrimination that homosexuals and bisexuals face in this nation to just the Old Testament.
None at all? Not even the spread of AIDS? Hmmm...
I know this is jumping back a little, but it has to be noted that there are valid health reasons against homosexuality. Kwistalline can testify to that; homosexuals are not allowed to give blood or donate organs because they are such high risk for STDs and AIDS.

small tangent: If you really read Leviticus critically, you start seeing that there are a lot of laws that God gave just to keep the isrealites healthy. No pork; pork is actually one of the least healthy meats even today, because of the high fat content. No shrimp and similar seafoods; cooking standards were such that they didn't have the high temperatures available to completely kill all of the bacteria in these seafoods. Shunning people with leprosy; well, isn't that a practical alternative to quarantine, to prevent the spread of disease? Declaring people 'unclean': this was done for several reasons; eating unclean food, menstruating, touching something that was touched by the 'unclean'.... it was actually very hygienic to do this. I believe this is one major reason that the people of Isreal survived in such quantity.

Kwistalline said:
But then their was the indentured slave, bought from birth to serve throughout his lifetime with no hope for freedom. All I can offer you from the NT are passages that instruct a slave on how to serve his master in a Christian manner. I can expound upon the reasons I believe Paul gave advice for how to serve as a slave, but I won't do so now. I have to work tonight (I do night shift and I love it!!), for one, and second, it would take too long. Best to make replies shorter in order to get the most out of a response, IMO. Otherwise people get bored with the mini-books.
Oooh, Philemon!
A few of the passages about slavery remind me of modern situations... especially involving loans. *shudder*

Satya said:
I would say that setting the price, declaring slaves are porpeerty, and setting rules for how they should be treated and how they should behave goes way beyond "allowing" slavery.
...Wait, what?

Inkling said:
None at all? Not even the spread of AIDS? Hmmm...
I know this is jumping back a little, but it has to be noted that there are valid health reasons against homosexuality. Kwistalline can testify to that; homosexuals are not allowed to give blood or donate organs because they are such high risk for STDs and AIDS.

And yet while studies indicate that HIV infection rates between gay men are beginning to fall across the country, HIV infection rates of middle aged and senior aged heterosexuals are now skyrocketing. (I guess God doesn't just hate the fags, but also older heterosexuals.) Not to mention there are other STDs that transmit between heterosexuals easier or just as easily as gay men. Now if you are going to make the lame ass argument that STDs (now referred to by the educated community as STIs by the way) are a nonreligious argument against homosexuality, then you might want to consider the obvious reality of the tens thousands of heterosexuals who are infected each year as well. I'm sure your sister can inform you of the outright idiocy of insinuating that AIDs is only a gay disease, especially by citing a law that was created in 1983 back when the testing technology and blood treatment technology was nowhere near as sophisticated as it is today.

Sorry, but that kind of blatant prejudice is one of my hot buttons. I can respect religious intolerance because that is just people who are living up to their beliefs, but arguing that there are "valid health reasons" against homosexuality because gay men are discriminated against by an outdated law is just stupid. Yes, gay men in this country still constitute the highest number of infected by HIV, but within the next decade, they will easily be overtaken by heterosexuals. Should we then make it so heterosexuals can't give blood because they pose a "high risk"?

And there are no laws that say gay men can't donate organs in the United States.

And I'm sorry if I come across as mean, but I found your post to be incredibly offensive.

...Wait, what?

God set the rules for slavery. I would say if you are setting the rules, then you are advocating, not just "allowing".

CokeNut said:
In answer to your first question, yes. I think that I would sin more if I felt there were no consequences to my behavior. Not serial killer or anything of the sort, but lets keep in mind that I am ESTP with a hightend need for sensual stimulation and gratification. Maybe without the promise of heaven and eternal life I would be more apt to take whatever pleasure (and by whatever means necessary) in this life. Now this is all speculation, maybe I would be the same person without my faith, who knows? I do have a strict moral code which is what makes me who I am, but I don't know if that is a character trait, my upbringing, or a product of my faith.

In answer to your second question, quite the contrary, he is VERY real to me, hence the tendency to behave in a way that would make him proud of me and not want to 'punish' me. A symbol is unintimidating; it may be something to be respected (not just a religious symbol but any symbol such as a flag or monument) but it is not something that can affect my life in anyway.

As for curious, no worries ... ask away!

Thanks for reassuring me not to have worries. I can be quite an annoying interrogator.

I understand. Desire should be regulated, but it is pointless to restrict it. God restricts the human from enjoying sensual pleasure because it can go overboard, but if it does NOT go overboard, there is no reason to restrict it any longer. I see no reason against making the individual decision to enjoy a moderate amount of pleasure.

You are implying that God must be intimidating or "His purpose" in our lives would be unfulfilled. Is one of the reason's you believe in God? You fear him? This poses the interesting question of Pascal's Wager (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_wager) and if God is a psychological tool.

"And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." - Jesus (KJV) 10: 5-42
Headlines: "JEBUS GOES BADASS"

You say he is "VERY real" to you, have you interacted with him in any way and recieved a reply? Otherwise, he would just be a symbol. I warn you not to underestimate the power of symbols. I can give examples in history if you want.

Jax: I know this has gone slightly off-topic, but the subject of fear I brought up makes sense in the context.

oh, that's fine. i'm just a quite observer at most

i'm Pentacostal/Baptist myself

the reasons for the rules is just in retrospect of offending others

but yea, i've just been watching

sriv said:
You are implying that God must be intimidating or "His purpose" in our lives would be unfulfilled. Is one of the reason's you believe in God? You fear him? This poses the interesting question of Pascal's Wager (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_wager) and if God is a psychological tool.

I am not implying, but rather stating, that yes ... God must be intimidating for his purpose in MY mind and MY need of him to be met. The same as I needed strict parents or I might have wound up a crack addict on the street. However, I do not fear him because he will hurt me, I fear what he can take away (Heaven, Eternal life, and forgiveness of my sins) should I fail to obey his laws or at least properly show contrition when I have failed.

As for Pascal's Wager, thanks for link since I had never heard of it ... but I'm not sure it applies to me in particular since I am not wagering that he exists, I am sure of it.

sriv said:
You say he is "VERY real" to you, have you interacted with him in any way and recieved a reply? Otherwise, he would just be a symbol. I warn you not to underestimate the power of symbols. I can give examples in history if you want. .

No need for examples ... I am very aware of what a symbol is, and what it can mean to others, but they do not intimidate or scare me as something that has power over me. I might be scared of a scary looking symbol, or I can sometimes be a bit superstitious, but that's about it.

As for have I interacted with him?, I believe that I have. I won't say that I have had out of body experiences, or that I hear his voice in my head; what I will tell you is that I feel his presence when I need it most. I am not by any means an empath or psychic, in fact I am quite the contrary I am driven by fact not intuition. I do however have very keen senses, and where I can not see, hear, smell, touch or taste him, he has the power to touch me and I have the ability to feel it when he does.

When I was a teenager I was going through some really emotional times (ESTP is really bad when you are a teen) I wanted to do everything and feel everything - I wanted to drink and do drugs and have sex and run away and fly and jump out of my skin and all kinds of other thoughts that flew around in my head constantly (headaches were bad back then). I was restless and stressed and I cryed alot and yelled alot and really could not get control of my emotions or the growing desires that had started to manifest themselves. I went to my mom and told her what was going on and asked her why I couldn't find peace in my head. She told me to look beyond myself, she told me to pray, she told me not to pray unless I truly believed that an answer was possible. So I prayed, for the first time in my life I prayed desperately, with tears in my eyes and hope in my heart and I fell asleep exhausted. I woke up to the smell of Jasmine (don't ask, I don't know why!) with a clear head and at least some answers to what had been plaguing me ... I still had many of the desires, but the need to jump out of my skin had passed, and in its place was the knowledge that in time I would learn to control my needs and emotions. I believe it was God who came to me and gave me peace.

btw That is also the reason that I am so drawn to introverts, they give me that same sense of peace.

Satya, lucky for you I'm feeling inconsistent and impulsive. I think today will be one of my "up for 34 hours" days. So, be that as it may, I'm feeling chatty (especially since I've been up since 4pm yesterday), slightly tired, needing to sew, not wanting to, and in the mood for some form of debate.

Although, there are a few things I'd like to clear up before I start this issue again. First, I don't know about you, but I've been facing this thread with a slightly calm demeanor. I feel neither afraid, intimidated, upset, or threatened. I recognize my humanity and limitations. No doubt sooner than later I will respectfully bow out acknowledging my inability to debate this issue to the degree it deserves. I've never thought of myself as intelligent, merely curious. As a fellow INFJ, you will understand, I think, that we often believe things that make no sense to others, and we will reach that point eventually with regards to why I believe what I believe.

In the meantime, before I embrace the "you have to take it on faith" speech, I would like to continue as far as I can with an attitude of mutual respect and mutual desire to understand each other vs the desire to cut each other down. If it comes to that point, I will bow out as a matter of principle since these types of discussions edify no one and lead to mutual animosity, something I avoid at all costs.

It is difficult for me to structure any form of argument or discussion without knowing that person's background. Would it be acceptable to you if you divulged? You believe in a God. Do you adhere to a religious structure/organization, and if so, which one? In your opinion, what are the attributes of God? In otherwords, what do you believe makes God who he is? Who is he to you? Why do you believe in him? I'll do my best not to contaminate this thread with a non-related discussion, however, it is, again, difficult for me to continue without understanding where you are coming from. We grew up in different cultures, you and I. I am unsure of yours, but mine I have openly declared. Homeschooled, daughter of a preacher, bible school for one year, nursing school after that. These things have molded me and influence my brand of logic and how I see the world. We will not be able to understand each other well unless we can step into each others shoes. In otherwords, I need help figuring out how to speak my language in your words since your language does not hold the same meaning for me at times.

Respectfully, Sarah.

Background - I am Heir Apparent of a Priestly Family from which my grandfather was a priest, two of my uncles are priests, my dad is a priest and an army chaplain. My uncles have also been chaplains and overseas missionaries... All were Anglican, my grandfather was born into a family of prestige and wealth and promptly became a Franciscan (devoted to poverty... damn him :x), thankfully none of his sons followed the same path. I've been around priests, wardens, bishops, deacons, theological students my whole life, even became friends with Hollingworth while he was still only Arch Bishop of Brisbane and came to St Francis Theological College breakfasts, he gave me my first latin-english dictionary...

Study - I've read the Al-Quran under the guidance of an Imam that came to the "Inter-Religious Dialogues" and read the sayings of Mohammed, and a biography of his life. I've also studied the Kabbalah and the Torah briefly at a temple in the city in Brisbane back in 2006 before I moved to Darwin. I love reading anything from Jainism that I can (yay nazi's lollercopter), the Sutras... I particularly love the Kama, but the Jesus Sutras were probably the weirdest. Obviously I've read the bible the most, because I was an evangelical little bastard when I was in primary school, because I loved to argue in high school, and since then because I love to troll christian forums.

How relates to this thread - So that you don't just think it's old shai gar mouthing off again, I'm actually giving my considered opinion.

Considered Opinion - OP is right.

CokeNut said:
I am not implying, but rather stating, that yes ... God must be intimidating for his purpose in MY mind and MY need of him to be met. The same as I needed strict parents or I might have wound up a crack addict on the street. However, I do not fear him because he will hurt me, I fear what he can take away (Heaven, Eternal life, and forgiveness of my sins) should I fail to obey his laws or at least properly show contribution when I have failed.

Interesting. You acknowledge the need for discipline, of external control to make up for self-control.
My POV - I'm atheist and I'm not necessarily selfish all the time. My parents were quite lenient with me so I taught myself a lot of things and learned not to take uninformed risks.
I understand where you are coming from. We are very polarized.

As for Pascal's Wager, thanks for link since I had never heard of it ... but I'm not sure it applies to me in particular since I am not wagering that he exists, I am sure of it.

Yeah...I just threw that in there because it was cool. :D

No need for examples ... I am very aware of what a symbol is, and what it can mean to others, but they do not intimidate or scare me as something that has power over me. I might be scared of a scary looking symbol, or I can sometimes be a bit superstitious, but that's about it.

Symbols can be scary.
Let's say I'm black. I would be dead scared if someone was burning a cross, even though they may just be expressing their hatred of Christianity or warming themselves up.
Let's say I'm jewish. I would be scared of a swastika-like figure back in the early 1940s, probably offended now, but the Hindhu swastika represents harmony and peace.
Let's say I live in Siberian Russia. I would be scared of Stalin, his secret police, and what they represent, even though I have never seen them before. I would still be scared of Stalin after he died because news would not get to me that he died.
Those are all very scary symbols and they are all based on a significant amount of imperfect perception. They are also based on the mindset of the onlooker as well as specific assumptions the onlooker makes. I'll use the last one. The onlooker makes the (accurate) assumption that Stalin is dangerous based on information gathered. He continues that (now inaccurate) assumption after Stalin has died and the danger is gone. This inaccurate assumption can lead him not to do things he normally would have wanted to do and would have been better off doing, such as leaving the country. These examples prove that symbols hold no power, rather that the individual human mind is influenced into attributing specific symbols to a concept such as power, fear, hatred, love, weakness, empathy, the list goes on and on.

I am speculating that God is merely a symbol.

As for have I interacted with him?, I believe that I have. I won't say that I have had out of body experiences, or that I hear his voice in my head; what I will tell you is that I feel his presence when I need it most. I am not by any means an empath or psychic, in fact I am quite the contrary I am driven by fact not intuition. I do however have very keen senses, and where I can not see, hear, smell, touch or taste him, he has the power to touch me and I have the ability to feel it when he does.

:shock: Tell me more.

When I was a teenager I was going through some really emotional times (ESTP is really bad when you are a teen) I wanted to do everything and feel everything - I wanted to drink and do drugs and have sex and run away and fly and jump out of my skin and all kinds of other thoughts that flew around in my head constantly (headaches were bad back then). I was restless and stressed and I cryed alot and yelled alot and really could not get control of my emotions or the growing desires that had started to manifest themselves. I went to my mom and told her what was going on and asked her why I couldn't find peace in my head. She told me to look beyond myself, she told me to pray, she told me not to pray unless I truly believed that an answer was possible. So I prayed, for the first time in my life I prayed desperately, with tears in my eyes and hope in my heart and I fell asleep exhausted. I woke up to the smell of Jasmine (don't ask, I don't know why!) with a clear head and at least some answers to what had been plaguing me ... I still had many of the desires, but the need to jump out of my skin had passed, and in its place was the knowledge that in time I would learn to control my needs and emotions. I believe it was God who came to me and gave me peace.

btw That is also the reason that I am so drawn to introverts, they give me that same sense of peace.

Wow, that was really deep. Thanks for sharing, it must have taken a lot of effort.

You believe it was God, but me being a stubborn skeptic, always like to speculate on more logical lines. I'm thinking that you recieved a bottled-up-to-the-point-of-exploding, inferior Ni Ah-ha! moment. People with strong Ni do have a greater chance of believing in God, and it seems like your epiphany came with a harsh advance price (which may explain the inferior position of it).
"...couldn't find peace in my head." What a wonderful quote! Sounds like you were struggling with (headaches +) lack of introversion.

From your last sentence, I can see how an introvert would have an easier time with self-control and inner peace.

I seriously think another name for "whatever we don't know or can't explain" is "God". At least that's how my Hindhu parents are comfortable (?!?) with viewing it.

Kwistalline said:
It is difficult for me to structure any form of argument or discussion without knowing that person's background. Would it be acceptable to you if you divulged? You believe in a God. Do you adhere to a religious structure/organization, and if so, which one?

I reject organized religion. I find it to be a very controlling thing. That isn't to say I don't think people can come together and worship, but when one place of worship declares itself the "true path or church" then it has completely defeated the purpose of religion. I feel religion should unite people through God, not divide people through God.

In your opinion, what are the attributes of God? In otherwords, what do you believe makes God who he is? Who is he to you?

I don't really care about the metaphysics of God. I don't care if he is some dude with a beard sitting on a cloud in another dimension, an underlying, concious force that exists within everything in the universe, simply the human conscience, or even the sun.

To me, God represents man celebrating everything that is good and right about the world. He represents man being thankful for what he has. To me, God is the love that people have for each other and he is the hope that we call upon when times are bad. I feel God is our ability to forgive when we have been wronged, and our desire to help each other when we are in need. God is all the beautiful sunrises and sunsets, the animals walking through the woods, the feeling of excitement a new father has when holding his newborn, and even that awesome squishy feeling of mud between your toes. God is good.

I have come to that conclusion because my old pastor once told me that if I need to understand what God is, I only have to ask myself, why is life worth living? Because, as he said, "God is all those things that make life worth living". To me, that was the most rational, as well as, beautiful, answer as to the true nature of God. Because if you think about it, man can easily bring God into this world simply by working to make the world a better place for everyone to live.

This authoritarian parent symbol that people consider God obliviously contradicts my understanding of God. A judgmental and condemning being who demands gratitude from all of creation? Puhleez! That perception of God has actually lead people to hatred, fear, torture, war, and some of the worst atrocities in human history.

Why do you believe in him?

Why not believe in him? God makes me incredibly happy everyday just to be alive. God gives me purpose since I want everyone to experience him.

I'll do my best not to contaminate this thread with a non-related discussion, however, it is, again, difficult for me to continue without understanding where you are coming from. We grew up in different cultures, you and I. I am unsure of yours, but mine I have openly declared. Homeschooled, daughter of a preacher, bible school for one year, nursing school after that. These things have molded me and influence my brand of logic and how I see the world. We will not be able to understand each other well unless we can step into each others shoes. In otherwords, I need help figuring out how to speak my language in your words since your language does not hold the same meaning for me at times.

Respectfully, Sarah.

Well I hope that helps you understand.