• Yes

Votes: 38 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 4 7.7%

• Total voters
Indeed Prankster.

I have no intentions of getting married. Waste of money on a stressfull evening I would not be able to enjoy.

It seems as marriage is something people need (mostly women to be a chauvinist) to be certain that their partner is interested in spending the rest of their life with them.

If you feel a strong need to marry your partner it could illustrate a lack of trust

Last edited:
Yes, why would you need any confirmation if you know your love is true?
However, if the other persons happiness depends on it, I will not stand in the way.

Wow a lot of cynics, I guess I am lucky to have had lots of good examples of lifelong marriages growing up.

Wow a lot of cynics, I guess I am lucky to have had lots of good examples of lifelong marriages growing up.
I didn't mean 'Marriages fail anyway'
Do you think if those couples weren't married they wouldn't be together anymore?

I'd agree though, not being married makes it easier to break up. Which is not a good thing

I'd agree though, not being married makes it easier to break up. Which is not a good thing
In todays society everyone thinks 'If it's not good, throw it away'

But would you rather want this extreme: people staying together just because of the purpose of marriage, even if they're not happy together?

This was the situation in Belgium about 40-50 years ago.
E.g.: if you were a teacher in a catholic school school, and you'd divorce, you'd get fired.

I agree. Marriege isn't a terrible thing at all.

Yes. I'm all for it: Why not? As others have said I have my doubts about the purpose of marriage as well, which is in my opinion an upcoming trend in our generation, but that's another discussion. For those who want to get married, gay or not: everyone deserves their happiness when it comes to this.

Last edited:
But it was originally religious, and a lot of the reason it worked was because it involved God. I am a bit of a traditionalist. But most people fall in and out of love and it is extremely difficult to stay in love with one person your whole life, the point of having God involved with it meant there was an extra strength and bond. To take it past human fault and weakness. That's the way I see it anyway.

I have never thought about it this way, but now that you said it. I find it very inspiring! Thank you ^^

It seems as marriage is something people need (mostly women to be a chauvinist) to be certain that their partner is interested in spending the rest of their life with them.
If you feel a strong need to marry your partner it could illustrate a lack of trust

What a disgusting approach! I have no idea where you got this bullshit from. I almost find it insulting, extremely saddening and I can't help but take it personal. Marriage is not about MOST women being chauvinistic?!?!?! Neither do MOST women marry due to lack of TRUST! I'll tell you, for MOST women it is about living the childhood dream of being a princess for a day!!

Oh how distressing cynicism is... It really is poisonous! I have faith in 'living happily forever after, The end!' Glad that you believe in it too!

Last edited:
I don't see how it's cynic, I think it's rather beautiful if you believe in true love without the need to marry.

I for MOST women it is about living the childhood dream of being a princess for a day!!!

....no.
Eew.

Anyway, carrying on, I disagree with all of those who say gay marriage should be legal, and I'm not even religious. In fact, I dislike religion quite a bit. But there is freedom of religion and if the religious fanatics beleive that marriage is between man or woman, then it is. It's their practice. All the more why marriage should be seperated from the goverment, because if you think about if from a government perspective ( US government), the regulations are discriminatory. But because of freedom of religion they're able to get away with it. The only way to solve it is to eliminate the government vs religious conflict.

And I also a gree with Prankster that marriage shouldn't be required for two people who 'love' each other or whatnot. Marriage is only valid for it's legal rights, which is why it should be controlled by the governement not religion.

Last edited:
I used to be against it because I held tight to a lot of moral baggage I had form being raised catholic. Then my brother turned out to be gay, and his bf has since become a good friend of mine and I would want them to have that option if they went with it. It is irrelevant in my state anyhow, we already have legal gay marriage.

I don't see how it's cynic, I think it's rather beautiful if you believe in true love without the need to marry.

Sorry sounds to me like a fear of commitment. If you are truly in love anyway whats a little piece of paper gonna hurt? If anything it makes things easier legally to express your love via shared financial responsibilities and insurance etc.

By avoiding marriage if it is lifelong true love seems more like fear of making a commitment.
Why would you leave your partner if it's true love?

Edit: to Billy: that's why I wouldn't mind getting married if my partner really wanted to.

But I also think it's wrong that you can only get those rights by marrying. This proves that the church interferes too much with the state.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then I have a damn big fear of commitment.

Being with one person for the rest of my life sounds boring and stessful.

In fact 'being with' someone is stressful enough in itself.

I'm a lone cowboy :D

Then I have a damn big fear of commitment.

Being with one person for the rest of my life sounds boring and stessful.

In fact 'being with' someone is stressful enough in itself.

I'm a lone cowboy :D

I know an ISTJ you might get along with ;)

Trust me, I wish I knew true love, and I wouldn't have any fear of commitment.
Being forever with that one person would seem like a dream.

Last edited by a moderator:
ergh.

ISTJs and their thing with tradition D:

It scares me a bit.