[INFJ] - Friends or something more? | Page 8 | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Friends or something more?

INFP spotted :D
Yeah I'm only about 54% J :tearsofjoy:

Seriously though, I get you, but again, just be aware that you might be putting yourself in an emotionally vulnerable position by indulging in those fantasies. It's the other side of the coin of the pleasure they otherwise provide.
I know :sleepy: It's been way better since not talking and seeing him tho.. After being with him the only thing that was going through my mind was his smell, smile and voice.. Couldn't get it out of my head even if i was trying really hard to think about something else.. so now being busy works better. :laughing:

tenor.gif

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: It's complicated ok ?!

Reactions: JustPhil and Ren
Blackhorse... I've been through what you're going though many many many times. I'm still learning what to do but my conclusion has been that my fantasies and desire for men in this way has nothing to do with the actual man but instead how I feel about myself. How I want to be loved and taken care of, and instead of focusing really hard on doing that myself, I seek out someone else to help me feel that way.

On the other hand, interdependence is healthy an I would research the interdependence theory. I've been really getting into it lately and it's helping me.

Some key points I've learned from this theory:

Any relationship has multiple cost-benefit analysis that we go through. I suspect for me my problem if when I do this analysis I take on way too much risk because I'm used to doing this. In my life the only way for me to get affection from my parents was to conform to them. As a survival mechanism if someone who I am close to starts to pull away I react by clinging and my feelings growing stronger for them because in my mind I'm being abandoned again.

I have a lot of PTSD and childhood trauma I am working though.

I don't know your life story, but I have to wonder: how much time and effort are you investing in yourself? What do you do for yourself that has nothing to do with other people? What situations have you been in lately when you had to let someone down because you had to take care of yourself instead? When do you put yourself first?

The more I focus on myself, my needs, my dreams, my goals, the easier it is to tune out this romance fantasising. Understand that desiring companionship is natural and hormonal. It's out of your control you literally have hormones telling you to find a mate and reproduce. But part of maturing and growing up is being able to see those urges and resist them, channel that energy into something else.

You don't need a man to love you to experience happiness, and for me, until I truly believed that I was never going to have it. I would always put my hopes and emotions on another person hoping that they would fullfil me.

For myself, this intersects with a quarter life crisis I'm going though. Im trying to form my identity, understand my purpose and drive for life. Finding a sexual partner in my opinion cannot be your life purpose and unconsciously for the majority of my life that's what it was.

Develop yourself. Look inwards. You do this for long enough even if you experience these feelings you can push them away. It's a skill and you have to develop it.

How I want to be loved and taken care of, and instead of focusing really hard on doing that myself, I seek out someone else to help me feel that way.
Yeah I definitely notice that... I'm dreaming of a perfect relationship and how all my desires are fulfilled and I'm loved in a way I wanna be loved (which wasn't my last relationship at all and because I've been in this miserable relationship for too long now that it's over my desires are even stronger).

As a survival mechanism if someone who I am close to starts to pull away I react by clinging and my feelings growing stronger for them because in my mind I'm being abandoned again.
I used to be clingy and needy as 15,16 yo. I don't really notice that anymore. Maybe because I haven't been in a realtionship when I was truly afraid of abandonment. Also I learned a harsh lesson back then, hopefully I know better now.

I have a lot of PTSD and childhood trauma I am working though.
Sorry to hear that :disrelieved:.

I don't know your life story, but I have to wonder: how much time and effort are you investing in yourself? What do you do for yourself that has nothing to do with other people? What situations have you been in lately when you had to let someone down because you had to take care of yourself instead? When do you put yourself first?
Well I never had issues with my family. And no I don't really put myself first. Especially if I like someone, there's no way my needs are more important. I just adapt and be the person he needs. At least I try to. When I feel I'm not appreciated, or I completely forget about my needs, everything goes to hell tho.
I run, I go to the gym and I ride.. horses
Those are my hobbies I suppose they should count right :sweatsmile: I also like to write and draw.
Focusing on myself more than that sounds boring :grimacing:

HUH???!!! :flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: Gee I always thought being a girl made everything easier! All girls have to do is click their fingers and a hundred guys come a running (yeah you have to sift through the shit to find the pearls :tearsofjoy:). A guy clicks his fingers and .. meh! Nothing!
Not true. Imagine only wanting one and having to wade through all that swarm. And then that one you like has been swimming towards another egg cell. Lol. Nope. Both guys and girls have it easy and difficult.

You don't need a man to love you to experience happiness
Yup. A man or a significant other is not always necessary but love is. Anyway, this guy, you can enjoy his presence. My final tip is to go out more with him and others -as friends- and wait and see. It's fine to have a crush. Why don't you hang around here? Plenty of guys here are complicated and/or attractive. You can't smell them though.

But should you ever find that you truly love this guy, then you're in some deep shit.
Okay let's say you're right. How do you know it's love then?
Love changes us as people. There's a depth to it that's incomparable. Even when the person is gone, love stays. It morphs into something else, like respect, but it changes us. Maybe I sound too romantic. Attraction - that's a given. Love is selflessness but also selfishness. We put them first as we put ourselves first - but we must strike the balance. We are often willing to change and adjust to keep these people in our lives and we keep doing so until we can't anymore and we let go.

Also love can be a choice. Once the attraction is there, we find ourselves gravitating towards this person. Whether we take it slow or fast, as long as we keep choosing this person, we get to another form of attraction or love. Knowing this with certainty about a person is what prompts love should we let it. Of course, we can also choose to unlove and that's why the world is messy because too many people are stuck in the limbo of that space between commitment and exploring one's self or others.

Of course, love may only be a concept (for all we know we're really just complex primordial beings). In any case it's that depth of entanglement.

Perhaps what I should have said is that you are attracted to this guy but this isn't love yet because you haven't stuck with choosing him and choosing to do so continuously.

@charlatan yeah as I mentioned I fell for him in the past 2 weeks, before I wasn't sure if i really like him that way (or I just didn't wanna see it). But I won't tell him anything.. I'd rather have a friendship with him than nothing at all. Depends how things will turn out in the next month or so.

Wrong attitude. Even if it's true. You want romance or nothing. Offering friendship when you want something more gives the other person an "out." Got to play hardball in these streets anymore

Perhaps what I should have said is that you are attracted to this guy but this isn't love yet because you haven't stuck with choosing him and choosing to do so continuously.
Ugh I chose him over anything else many times.. If he asked me out I would cancel anyhing I had planned that day. But I agree, right now I'm just attracted, love could come later if or when the friendship progresses.
I wish attraction was a choice. :flushed:

Wrong attitude. Even if it's true. You want romance or nothing.
I would definitely rather have a friendship than nothing.

I heard a theory once. . that when we fall for someone we dissolve all our walls and borders and allow them fully in. all of our protective castle is torn down. Then over time we begin to re-build it all back around us. If it is true love, they are inside our newly built stronghold. .but it takes hard work. . compromise, from both of you. . you can't do it alone, something I learned far too late in life. It's all to easy to become them and start to live their life, and not your own. But that only works for awhile, and eventually you will long for yourself again, and trouble soon follows. .

Even if he were dating someone else?

Ugh I chose him over anything else many times.. If he asked me out I would cancel anyhing I had planned that day.

That's another example of giving him too much power... If he asked you out, you shouldn't cancel your plans. That wouldn't be fair on the people with whom you made plans, either. If he texts asking to meet up on a particular day but you happen to be busy that day, don't cancel, just suggest another day.

Don't be at his disposal, not only is it not attractive but he is not more important than your life.

It's all to easy to become them and start to live their life, and not your own. But that only works for awhile, and eventually you will long for yourself again, and trouble soon follows. .

I agree... Very wise words.

I want to hear back on this and whether you've used your own advice? :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Hey Phil, I have not pictured the person taking a poo yet, but if I start to notice I'm beginning to idealise them, just wait for it :D

BlackHorse said:

Personally, I'm very glad you have that attitude (speaking for myself, I'd be quite sad if a friend broke a friendship with me for this type of reason). I think when it really comes down to it, I don't see any good reasons that would hold under ideal circumstances at least behind breaks of friendship in these situations. I think it can become necessary to break the friendship due to non-ideal circumstances (like simply being psychologically crippled with distress). It's kind of like saying I'm not sure there are good reasons to chronically avoid riding any and all elevators, even the best-tested and designed, out of a fear they will fall, but I have all the compassion for someone who is unable to do so.

My general take actually goes farther -- if someone doesn't have the same type of feelings for you as you do for them, I think ideally, one wouldn't necessarily even want to change that (assuming the other person is thinking clearly, of course, and not just denying something internally) -- it's a part of loving someone as he/she is to not want to change him/her.
So e.g., if he loves you back like a sister, not romantically, personally I'd feel quite uncomfortable trying to change that!

On the other hand, if he's just denying romantic feelings for you out of confusion or some other illegitimate reason, then certainly I'd want that to change.

Last edited: