Favorite Approaches and Paradigms in Philosophy | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Favorite Approaches and Paradigms in Philosophy

I don't know what postmodernism is

derrida-seinfeld.png

Anyone interested in postmodernism / postmodern philosophy?

I don't find it very often discussed on this forum. I wonder if INFJs are not well-disposed towards postmodernism (this is probably a huge generalisation). Most poststructuralists/postmodernists seem to be ENxPs or INxPs.

Do you guys have thoughts on this?

Hi Ren, I personally think that postmodernism has had its time. I used to hate postmodern thinking because it resulted in an undue apathy towards certain scientific endeavours (e.g. some of the social sciences), however now I recognise that its influence has thrown up some interesting ideas.

Take the philosophy of history. It's widely acknowledged that we're entering a 'postnarrativist' stage and (probably) a return to the idea of a 'scientific history', but that does not mean that the work done under the narrativist paradigm has been wasted, just that it's time has passed.

In other words, I think the modern has now integrated the postmodern, and we're now in a kind of 'synthomodern' phase of understanding with regard to epistemology, &c.

@Puzzlenuzzle and I just had a talk about this, too, and she came at it from a different angle. Also she can't be bothered to type :laughing:. She said that while the ideology is brilliant and very philosophically 'correct' in a certain way, it nonetheless doesn't really match what we 'need' in intellectual life - it doesn't really produce anything upon which humanity can build; it is in effect the ideology of permenant existential crisis and fundamental apathy.

P.s. Fuck Derrida

Hmh, I've been letting this boil a bit..

Maybe from a creative point of view, you could approach this (what I rather see as a reaction of fundamental disappointment that has focused into some sort of radical breaking-down stance of..well pretty much everything) by seeing it as some kind of metaphorical method to hand everything over to the intuition.

Truth is not boiled down to systems anymore. This is so crystal clear to (most of) us in daily live which might be the reason why it isn't very appealing.. (maybe you rather seek visions of utopias, escapism or other ways to deal..maybe apathy/"meh"..or you try to cling onto the past in fear and with anger.)

Sometimes we must learn from something while what is actively happening lies underneath and isn't extraverted at all to make you incline to say it was "productive". Except maybe some processes that start with breaking things up and following processes of transformation, progression, permutation, combination and variation... it's feeding intuition (= what is and has been productive about this) and at best will transfer into the creation of something ..new. All still on search, many more are seeing the need...

We are still living in a time where we worship the servant (rational mind) not the master (intuition). Reconnecting with what has been forgotten seems rather natural.. look around.. you can see a notion of this..

end of rambling. :)

I like antinatalism, the position which assigns negative value to birth. It's a philosophy that runs contrary to the behavioral instincts of any biological organism.

How do you see it working in an ideal scenario of implementation?

Why so much Derrida hate? He can be pretty thought-provoking.

Check out his concept of the trace.

*reads Wikipedia*

Wikipedia said:
Derrida does not positively or strictly define trace, and denies the possibility of such a project. Indeed, words like "différance", "arche-writing", "pharmakos/pharmakon", and especially "specter", carry similar meanings in many other texts by Derrida. His refusal to apply only one name to his concepts is a deliberate strategy to avoid a set of metaphysical assumptions that, he argues, have been central to the history of European thought.

Burn him.

Seriously, though, isn't 'trace' a bit of a trivial observation that has been made before? Perhaps, perhaps not, it depends how he uses it.

You might be able to say some rather interesting - though not necessarily true - things using the concept, like 'the association of many more positive traits with the notion of "femininity" in the 60s and 70s resulted in unfortunate consequences for its binary opposite later on - masculinity. Hence, the devaluation of masculinity in the modern era is not to be seen as the revelation of truthful endeavour, but rather the predictable side effect of literary association and disassociation.'

Yeah I suppose that if you fully explored the idea in directions like that, it could come to have some profundity, because you couldn't but help to start saying new things.

And the exploration of binary concepts, conceived as a zero-sum game is pretty profound actually.

E.g. If you associate a random trait with 'White', then you almost automatically associate its opposite with 'Black' - the two concepts are binarily 'locked' in their duality. If 'white' is love, honour, and unfairness, then you already know what 'black' means.

E.g.2. Associate 'science' with 'truth', then it's binary opposite almost automatically comes to embody 'falsehood'. What is its opposite? Religion?

Yeah OK I convinced myself!

That is, if he took the idea in that direction. Otherwise, still fuck Derrida.

All people voluntarily abstaining from reproduction.

Yeah but then how does the human race continue? Through rebellion? Wouldn't that make children reviled and have a harder time developing in healthy ways?

Why so much Derrida hate? He can be pretty thought-provoking.

Anyone who pisses off so many people so well must be a truly great man. The whistling sound of air escaping from pricked bubbles is very funny, but perhaps some of them should have been left inflated out of mercy?

All people voluntarily abstaining from reproduction.

Secret yearning to be a Catholic priest ...... Fr Pin perhaps - I could see it actually ;)

Last edited:
Anyone who pisses off so many people so well must be a truly great man. The whistling sound of air escaping from pricked bubbles is very funny, but perhaps some of them should have been left inflated out of mercy?

Secret yearing to be a Catholic priest ...... Fr Pin perhaps - I could see it actually ;)
ENTJ > ESFJ superego

Reactions: Pin, Ren and John K
Yeah but then how does the human race continue? Through rebellion? Wouldn't that make children reviled and have a harder time developing in healthy ways?
My dear Wyote, it wouldn't continue, in the name of eliminating suffering.

My dear Wyote, it wouldn't continue, in the name of eliminating suffering.

Yea I thought you might say that. There's much more to this world than suffering.