Ego quelling | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Ego quelling

Do You Meditate?

• Yes, every day with out fail for at least an hour

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, during the day i find a quiet place in informally clear my thoughts.

• I used to do it but stopped because I have no time

• I used to do it but stopped because it made me uneasy

• I used to do it but stopped because but I got into a relationship

• I used to do it but stopped because it seemed stupid

• No I have no interest in it

• No it is counter productive to my spiritual development

• No because someone I respect said it was bad/dangerous

• No I do not believe there is any benefit

• No I never considered it one way or another

• Yes because I am developing ESP

• Yes because I am developing Telekinesis

• Yes because I am developing my ability to dream lucidly

• I am meditating right now

• Total voters
i looked at the thread on binaural beats and downloaded 3 ten minuet segments onto the mp3 player on my phone. I have been using it almost every day. I think it is working. I really would prefer to not go insane.

#1 recommendation is laughter!

#2 recommendation is crying. Crying releases chemicals from your body that are known to cause stress. Getting rid of them will help you feel better.

For the long term relief from stress I highly suggest regular cardio exercise and a healthy diet to improve mental health and abilities. There are some forms of dance or other exercise that are very low impact which are the best to start out with, don't feel like you have to be extensive in your immediate changes; any progress is good! If you are unable to perform regular exercise, then perhaps seek online or professional assistance to find how you can get your heart rate for a period of time. Laughter is also an EXTREMELY good source of exercise as well.

For the short term, whatever takes your mind off your current circumstance depends on the person. A hot bath with some calming music is fairly universal though. Try to engage all of your senses at once, candles help with smell and sight, perhaps some wine or candy for taste, the warm water is great for touch, music for the aural.

Meditation helps, but can be tough in a hyper-stressed state. Deep breathing, muscle relaxation, look up some chants to help.

You guys are a trip. Sleep ahh yes! I have noticed when I have a lot on my mind or something is bothering me, I always play computer games. I could sit there for freaking hours playing solitaire and not realize it because I'm sorting through thoughts but it's pretty theraputic (for me).

And I'm so glad I found this place, I thought I was the only person in the world who read Power of Now. Like someone mentioned earlier, it's not for everyone. But agree with the whole concept our egos motivating our thoughts and actions sometimes. I can't stand egos! I can't say I'm egoless, though.

#1 recommendation is laughter!

#2 recommendation is crying. Crying releases chemicals from your body that are known to cause stress. Getting rid of them will help you feel better.

That's why it feels good to cry, ahh! Maybe I should do that more often!

I am really interested in techniques that inhibit or remove ego function during consciousness.

I am really interested in techniques that inhibit or remove ego function during consciousness.

What do you define as the ego?

Many definitions refer to consciousness itself as the ego.

in for a penny......

http://www.kheper.net/topics/Jung/typology.html
" The four ways of interpreting reality are the four ego-functions - Sensation, Thinking, Feeling, and Intuition. These consist of two diametrically-opposed pairs. Thinking is the opposite of Feeling, and Sensation the opposite of Intuition. So, suggests Jung, if a person has the Thinking function (an analytical, "head"-type way of looking at the world) highly developed, the Feeling function (the empathetic, value-based "heart"-type way of looking at things) will be correspondingly underveloped, and in fact suppressed. The same goes for Sensation and Intuition. Sensation is orientation "outward" to physical reality, and Intuition "inward" to psychic reality.

Jung perceived of these four Ego-functions as making up a kind of fixed dial. The upper part of the dial is shown light, meaning that it is the developed conscious faculty, and the other part dark, meaning that it is the undeveloped or suppressed unconscious faculty. (Indeed, much of Jung's work involved recognition of the dichotomy of Light and Dark, Conscious and Unconscious). The faculty which is most Conscious (in this case "Thinking") is the dominant one, or Principal function, and the other one ("Intuition") is the secondary faculty, or Auxiliary function. So we have one function in full consciousness and fully developed, another function as secondary to this, a third function, the opposite of the second, as slightly suppressed and unconscious, and the fourth, the opposite of the first, as totally unconscious."

I am looking for a way to suspend them all and be "non unconscious".. I am starting by slowing down the internal dialogue(or at least trying to) Your suggestion of cardio is an excellent one. I usually swim 30mins a day 3 days a week but have lately lost my will to do it. But I feel my will returning. I am interested in reorienting the way I "do" things.

And I thought I was the only one who couldn't get their stream of consciousness to stop flowing. I'll have to try that do nothing link, ha.

I would recommend this: http://www.audiodharma.org/talks-intromed.html

It is a very solid and clear explanation of mindfullness meditation. In my opinion it is one of the least hocus-pocussy ones out there. You can listen to it in MP3, but reading it in PDF is faster.

For me it helps me be more equinanimous and simply drop negative thoughts. After about a year of meditating I can now say I sometimes reach a state of complete bliss in my sessions. My brain has in fact, shut itself up :)
I have gotten to know myself a lot better as a big bonus, and several other very pleasant side effects.

Mindfullness does take practice. If you need relief now, I recommend a body scan meditation. Any noob can do this, and with fast results!
For example: http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/meditation/body.asp

I would hereby also like to extend an open invitation to all who whish to know more about meditation to PM me with questions. I am not a great expert, but I do know where to find experts. Also I think my clear secular view on it can be helpfull to beginners especially. I can explain it in normal words.

Edit: to those recommending drugs. I have tried this in the past, it doesn't work. Having peace of mind is very nice. So nice in fact, it becomes addictive. Before you know it you have formed a habit of doing drugs in pursuing your habit of having a quiet mind.
So I'm saying: do drugs, for fun because they are fun. Don't do them however to establish something you need.

Last edited:
have you looked at my avatar?

lsd or mushrooms will kill your ego and it is amazing

lots to learn from those trips

Advocacy of the use of powerful psychedelics in a forum frequented by minors is a bit irresponsible, don'cha think?

Reactions: NeverAmI
I find a little peace usually on this forum, having somewhere to bounce crazy ideas off of its instrumental to my growth.

My mind never shuts up, either, and quieting it depends on the individual.

Meditation doesn't work for me at all, so I have other means. I love to draw to the point I get lost in it, and before I know it, three hours went by. So, I do that a lot.

This is a rather new remedy for me, but I find it works quite well, despite being a bit silly. :rolleyes: Instead of just putting my music on and sitting around, I'll lipsync and groove to it. It distracts me enough so that I can stop thinking, haha.

Advocacy of the use of powerful psychedelics in a forum frequented by minors is a bit irresponsible, don'cha think?

come on now

psychedelics are no new thing

humans been trippin for thousands of years

expanding consciousness is what philosophy and religion are all about

shrooms aid very well in this effort.

just approach it with a positive attitude and you will soar

it's very much like flying, with your thoughts

if you focus on the negative, you might spiral downwards

gotta keep your head in check, but get outside and walk around and things will be fine

i'm not saying that drugs are the answer

but they certainly do provide me with an experience

i learn a lot from a trip

it isnt about getting high or getting spiritual

it's a catalyst

a new perspective

our govts stance on drugs is completely ridiculous.

i never considered for a moment that my post was irresponsible

Ha!

we should educate kids about these things, not hide them.

maybe shrooms will save the world...

Last edited:
come on now

psychedelics are no new thing

humans been trippin for thousands of years

expanding consciousness is what philosophy and religion are all about

shrooms aid very well in this effort.

just approach it with a positive attitude and you will soar

it's very much like flying, with your thoughts

if you focus on the negative, you might spiral downwards

gotta keep your head in check, but get outside and walk around and things will be fine

i'm not saying that drugs are the answer

but they certainly do provide me with an experience

i learn a lot from a trip

it isnt about getting high or getting spiritual

it's a catalyst

a new perspective

our govts stance on drugs is completely ridiculous.

i never considered for a moment that my post was irresponsible

Ha!

we should educate kids about these things, not hide them.

maybe shrooms will save the world...

sorry man, LSD and shrooms are to powerful of drugs that easily get you hooked. Not a good Idea to advocate them on a forum which youth are partaking as they may not be able to control themselves or mediate their use of their drugs.

One can anesthetize or distract oneself (by various means) to quiet the mind, but to really get at the root of the ego itself is a whole other matter. This requires a something of a journey that is more far-reaching.

sorry man, LSD and shrooms are to powerful of drugs that easily get you hooked. Not a good Idea to advocate them on a forum which youth are partaking as they may not be able to control themselves or mediate their use of their drugs.

The bold is a fallacy. LSD nor Mushrooms contain any active chemicals that are addictive. Now, that is not to say there is no addictive potential. Every single substance on earth has the potential (even something trivial like pizza).

I will clear the air on LSD and Mushrooms (which contain the active prodrug psilicybin). Neither of these chemicals are physically dangerous. The mode of action of psilocybin is on the H5T2 (dont quote me me on that protein, it is one of them) serotonin receptor. It acts as an agonist that does not totally fit. In effect it mimics the effects of serotonin, but it is different enough that the brain does not entirely understand what it is doing, so it causes its unique effects. Psilocybin unline most drugs, does not cause a release or reduction in any neurotransmitters. In effect this makes the drug quite safe. Psilocybin, and all of it's latter metabolites are enitrely non toxic. It is a near impossibillity to oversdose on this.

LSD (lysergic acid diethylamine), is a little different. This acts as an agonist for dopamine, serotonin, and to a degree norepiphenphine, holding cells by binding to their respective protein triggers. LSD primaraly acts on dopamine, so there is an inherent risk from a biology standpoint, as dopamine is a horribly touchy molecule. Too high or two low of levels can cause severe problems. However, as the method of LSD for mediating these neurotransmitter levels, and its subequent metabolites, is quite stepwise, the risk is low. As compared to something like Excasty (MDMA, methylenedioxymethamphetamine), which causes a total dump of serotonin. Also due to the fact that LSD has nearly no bodily toxcisty compared to the active dose which is on the scale of micrograms (a crazy small amount), the physical risk is nearly non exsistant. Both LSD, and Psilocybin have no recorded deaths due to an overdose.

Now, there is a risk involved, as with any drug. The risk involves how mentally stable the person is, and how much self control that the person has. Nearly all accounts of users on these drugs retain a level of self control (less so with LSD), and are able to watch themselves and prevent there severe mental altering abillites from totally blocking out self control and judgement. More often then not, users are in the presence of another person not on the compound, so they are in a safe area.

The psychadelics are mostly in a class of their own as far as I am concerned. Nearly all of them have nearly no physical risk (there are some, like MDMA, or some very specialized phenylethylamines) involved. The only risk lies in the mental capaicty of the user, and if they feel like they can handle it. In a rare minority of cases, people report having shifts in personality, but it is often minor.

I am sure you can pull logical fallacies out of this. I care not to debate them. I am speaking of this in a purely scientific-neutral standpoint. Neither advocating them, or talking them down. Take it as you want.