Barnabas

Time Lord
Oct 7, 2009
Florida man
MBTI
wiblywobly
Enneagram
timeywimey
So do you guys have one. A particular way you dress that expresses something of you or holds to your specific beliefs.

Mine is kinda simple. It stems from a few places.

I normally found wearing either dress causal (Jeans, collared button up shirt), or just Dress (slacks, tie, Button up collared shirt)

My philosophy of dress comes from three sources.

First off from the book "To Kill a mocking Bird"
There a line in a paragraph mentioning the way the protagonist's father dress'. It states simply that Atticus got up in the moring and tightened his collar and didn't losen it up till he went to sleep. I personally employed this in my life as I'm alway "tightend up" untill I go to bed. You'll rarley see me in shorts or a T-shirt.

Secound from my time in NJROTC in highschool.

From there I leanred the value of my appearence, and how others view me. so I adopted the style of only wearing dress clothing. which ties into the idea of the first point.

Finally I learned from my church, that always wearing a tie and collar often alienates other individuals whom don't have or want this kind of attire. So I moved to a casula dress, often mixing Jeans and collared shirts, but rarley a tie.

Finally I put my own touch on my style by adding a vest a fedora to the mix to make me stand out.

In doing this I manage not to loweranyones expectations of me as a future leader in the church and at the same time let others know I;m not an uptight arse.

well tahnks for listening, feel free to add your views on as well.

I dress rather simply because I kinda live this way 24/7 and this very much relates to my beliefs. Fortunately my profession makes no further requirements on my apparel, nor does my social calendar.

Last edited:
My style is well, just me. It comes down to what I find confortable, secure, and safe. I prefer the clothing I can wear in winter, as opposed to warmer seasons. I where cargo pants with 4 pockets (I have a system to how I carry my phone, pen, keys, wallet, and ipod), even though I only utalize 3. I then wear a tshirt, with a hoodie over that. The hood is important to me, I seldom use it, but it adds weight to my clothing which makes me feel more wrapped up, which translates into comfort, and a feeling of safety. I normally wore skater shoes cause I found the shape and design to fit me, and they are comfortable. This has changed as of recently. My grandparents got me a really nice pair of mocasins that I really like. I found this fits me even better, and just defines who I am. They are also comfortable. Despite the fact that there is less weight to them, counterintuitively, I feel that the lower weight actually allows for more freedom, without the cost of safety or comfort. I also have recently started using black socks. I always hated white socks, despite wearing them for years, but it never came forward in my mind to switch.

My style doesn't really shift without external pressure, or some kind of impulse. It just sort of manifests itself. It is usually just one slow small change at a time though. All of the colors I wear too are dark and earthy. Pants are usually some shade of brown. This makes me stand out less, but I still retain my style. Dark earthy colors just fits me. Another trademark that came up when I went to college is the use of peruvian hats. I adore them, and again these just fit my style. I don't always wear them, but I would say 75% of the time I do. This also adds to my saftey and confort feeling.

The origin of all this didn't really come from one single source. Just little things I see here and there that I see that sort of come up. Many of them will sit in the back of my mind for a very long time, but I am too afraid to actually go out of my way to change it. I shy away from change very often, but will embrace it once I have it, and usually run with it. The mocasins I now use are a good example of this. Over a year ago I noticed many people wearing them, and I thought to myself that these would be really good for me, and fit my personal style. Yet, I percevived it as too much of a shift, and actually buying a pair would be far too much of a risk (yes I know it sounds like a dumb risk, but as I have said on the forums before, I am NOT a risk taker.), so I did not. I likely would have never started using them if my grandparents didnt get them, and I didnt wear them on christmas to appease them and make it appear that I like the gift. Initally I thought it was too much of a jump, and didn't like it. Now I do.

I just realised how horribly picky this makes me sound, and how overly complex I make things. lol.

My preferred dress: boot cut jeans, high heels or boots, grunge or flashy t-shirt and a blazer. Allows me to easily shift from work to not work, and be expressive while still appropriate.
I like to appear put together without the appearance of effort, professional but not stiff, confident without taking it too seriously
JCrewblazer_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Wear what's comfortable, whatever that is.

I personally am never offended by someone's attire. Therefore, I find it deplorable that people harshly judge a person if they do not like their clothes. So, hah!

I'm usually quick to scold someone for calling a woman a "tramp" or a "slut" if she's dressed in a way that shows some skin and curves. I'm kind of sensitive to the ways women are appraised for their appearance: "dyke or whore or frump or classy lady or tomboy." You don't know a person based on what they wear.

I agree with not judging based on appearence, but I also understand where people who come from. first and last impressions are always the most powerful.

I just thought of another thing.
I don't own any items that cost more then 20$ except for my new shoes

I usually just wear jeans and a band t-shirt. If the occasion calls for something nicer, I'll wear something nicer. In the winter I'll sometimes wear a nice sweater with jeans. The only 'dressy' thing I wear on a day to day basis is my wool winter coat.

I wouldn't be surprised if people saw my dress and just thought I was some punk/tool, but I don't really care. If they actually give me a chance, they'll be pleasantly surprised.

Hmm....I have thought of this question before and I have an answer, somewhat. I dress in button up shirts, polo shirts, jeans or slacks, and that's pretty much. I like having a somewhat relaxed sophisticated look I suppose. I usually assimilate a lot of styles that I see on people into my manner of dress but some things I can't deal with, sweaters are icky and hot.

I often wear dress shirts, abeit in more casual manner(without a tie). It makes you presentable and look a little eloquent as well, without too much formality. I love it!

I wear khaki dress clothing, with a tie.

Because i like the colours, and uhmm, dunno.

I wear whatever suits my fancy that day, which is usually jeans and a t-shirt. I do like to wear at least two or three accessories, though. That's been a recent development.

I often wear dress shirts, abeit in more casual manner(without a tie). It makes you presentable and look a little eloquent as well, without too much formality. I love it!

agreed

I notice that I dress a whole lot better in Winter than Summer.
I have a wide range of jumpers, polar necks, cardigans etc. for Winter - I wear them because they're warm and comfortable, and I like the colours.
In Summer, I just wear any T-shirts I happen to have around.
I always wear jeans, unless it gets to be over 25 degrees celcius, in which case I switch to knee-length shorts.
Footwear is either boots or trainers.

The only expensive clothing I have is my wool duffle coat. 'Cause I liked it :)

Does anyone here have any muses /style icons? :tinfoil3:

I like Barnabas' idea of Atticus
I'm the same way
but I get a sense of comfort ,being wrapped up. I think I'd be happy as a woman wearing a corset. Makes you feel you can get everything you want done in a day. Somehow. And also a little optimistic. So I also have a backpack wherever I go, and if not then a big book of some kind, to hold on to. Pen and pencil
I met a guy some months ago and we were talking about this -I got him to try some of my clothes. He said they were suffocating him.. We're pretty much the same build and they were loose on me, but he was very 'disturbed' by the fit.. He wanted so much space in his clothes.

I was thinking the other day if it's a parallel to my slight phobia of crowds and open spaces. I was remembering how much more comfortable I am in a space that could be considered claustrophobic to some people.

But I think it's changing lately because I'm longing for something else

Jeans, knit tops, sundresses when it's warm enough. My favourite thing to wear is blue jeans, a black flowy tank top, and my green "cardigan" sweater over it, with my chucks. I wear a lot of green, also. I guess I sort of dress like a hippie.

At work, it's business casual.

a T-shirt and jeans as I need not ruin a good shirt/pants in lab. and I love painters style jeans as put things in the side pockets for easy accessibility(i.e=the casually dressed nerd)

I am a fan of comfort, my style mainly consists of a t-shirt, usually black in color, blue jeans and sports shoes.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfI9B8e9tW4&feature=related"]YouTube- Johnny Cash - Man In Black[/ame]

I wear mostly dark colors, mainly because of this Song

I dress rather plainly, conservatively, and simply. Jeans/khakis with rather plain cotton T-shirts or sweaters in informal situations and khaki-type dress pants and a nice cotton polo shirt or dressy sweater for more formal occasions. I don't like "out-there" looking stuff and "fashionable" crap that are symbols of consumerism.

Reactions: Top cat