Does knowing that you “fit in” a personality type actually makes you feel better? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Does knowing that you “fit in” a personality type actually makes you feel better?

I know you don't care, but I do, so please give in to my whims. :tonguewink:
7LT5_q.gif

giphy.gif
Any progress on figuring out the type you're closest to?
I have a rough idea (Hint: it isn't INFJ ;o) But then why ruin the fun for you my dear by divulging ;)

Reactions: flower and Ren
Yes I took test over and over different days different moods to see if there was any variation..but out of 5 times all results were same .I then studied my personality traits.and everything else I could find. It was very interesting and made alot of sense. I believe it has answered many questions of my behavior patterns, weakness,strengths ,self Identity. I was able to identify unhealthy development. And administer new ways to promote healthy development in my life become a better me. I think it was great to better understand myself.

Reactions: flower and Somnium
Yes I took test over and over different days different moods to see if there was any variation..but out of 5 times all results were same .I then studied my personality traits.and everything else I could find. It was very interesting and made alot of sense. I believe it has answered many questions of my behavior patterns, weakness,strengths ,self Identity. I was able to identify unhealthy development. And administer new ways to promote healthy development in my life become a better me. I think it was great to better understand myself.
Indeed, constant self development is definitely a life changing aspect. And so suddenly, living under society’s judgments seems less of a weight on one’s shoulders...
It’s just really frustrating how you get to a point in your life in which you perceive a better life by being a better version of yourself, however things become so questionable again when you don’t manage to succeed in a part of your life. I guess you just don’t get to make the most of every social circle your inserted in... not when part of you relies on other people.

It gives me the false illusion that there’s nothing wrong with me.
I wonder why an illusion though...
I like to believe that there was a time that what was "right" or "wrong" didn't really define you, after all, we all see life in our own way. But that's questionable, still, judging someone's way of living and putting a negative label on it just seems too cruel... hopefully, respect still exists among us all.

Reactions: Wyote and Gaze
So, when I first took the test, I got mixed results, and when I "settled" for a while on one type, it was good and not so good sometimes. Once you're perceived as your type, everything you write or say could be reduced to it, especially online.

So, I stepped away from it. I still identify with it in some ways, because it explains some aspects, but it's just a description of a person with a set of traits, but it's not the true, real or total person, and that's the issue with depending on the type to explain everything.

There's no one way to be a particular type, and I wish that was emphasized a little more early on. Although not sure I would've cared since you when you do "finally" feel as if you found something which explains your feelings of difference, you think more about feeling not so alone, feeling connected, so it's easy early on to focus on how it fits than whether or not you're letting it define you.

Last edited:
It's indeed comforting knowing there's more people out there willing to find others like you.
Still, I feel kinda disappointed for never getting to know another one whose typology is the same as mine, in person, I mean.
Has any of you gotten to know someone who you'd guess as the same type as you?

My husband and I were recently in marital counseling and she turned out to be an INFJ! Lol! Then I started to feel like knowing she and I were both INFJ, she was able to relate to me better and my husband felt like he was at a disadvantage in the counseling so we stopped counseling with her. Other than her, I’ve never met another INFJ in person. I’m glad I found this place.

I wonder why an illusion though...
I like to believe that there was a time that what was "right" or "wrong" didn't really define you, after all, we all see life in our own way. But that's questionable, still, judging someone's way of living and putting a negative label on it just seems too cruel... hopefully, respect still exists among us all.
I was totally joking lol

There are only 16 Jungian types that exist. Even if only 1 out of every 200 people were INFJ (which is likely not the case), unless you essentially live in an isolated Amish community, it’s extremely highly unlikely that anyone, even highly introverted INFJs, have never met another INFJ. It’s just highly improbable, statistically speaking. Almost everyone, except for the aforementioned highly isolated exceptions, are going to have met at least a handful of INFJs in their lifetime. It’s just a matter of recognizing/realizing it or not. Remember that no matter how special you think you may be, the numbers and reality say it’s impossible! <3

I like knowing that I'm one of the types that doesn't fit in, ever. Now I know it's better create my world around me and not try to create myself around the world.
A very insightful comment, the meanings on how the world can change one if they’re not true to themselves are varied. It’s comforting and comfortable knowing that you can identify with others around there, still, being different comes in seven billion different ways. We can be ourselves in so many distinct scenarios...
The last reflection does have a bigger impact on your point. Nice one :relaxed:

I still do not know what my MBTI type is (I have considered all XXXJ types with the exceptions of ESFJ and ENFJ), but knowing that I am a 1w2 has helped. It made me realize that I should probably tone down my perfectionism.

Knowing my personality type just makes me more certain that I don't belong on this planet and that the odds of me genuinely connecting with people are low

Not alone in that sentiment given that only some types fit in this world well while much of the remainder manage one way or another but for the rest this world is not a nice place. Kinda makes one give up deep down but otherwise goes on one day at a time.