[INFJ] - Do you value being loved or being understood higher? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Do you value being loved or being understood higher?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Kelly, Jan 5, 2015.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 9 users.
More threads by Kelly
  1. sprinkles

    sprinkles Well-known member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2013
    Threads:
    70
    Messages:
    9,439
    Likes Received:
    6,606
    Trophy Points:
    1,011
    MBTI:
    xxxx
    Sounds like duty or purpose but why would I care about those things if not for feels?

    If not for feels there's no reason to stick to a moral system. If it's all about cold purpose then why shouldn't I switch modes and do whatever happens to be pragmatic?

    No emotion = no devotion from where I sit. If I can't connect to it on a level that I understand then it is useless to me - or at the very least has no reason to be preferred over something else. Moreover if you can't really explain what it is, then how do you know you're actually doing it.
     
    niffer likes this.
  2. sprinkles

    sprinkles Well-known member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2013
    Threads:
    70
    Messages:
    9,439
    Likes Received:
    6,606
    Trophy Points:
    1,011
    MBTI:
    xxxx
    I don't understand you.
     
  3. Erlian

    Erlian Community Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2014
    Threads:
    10
    Messages:
    486
    Likes Received:
    48
    Trophy Points:
    135
    MBTI:
    intJ
    Enneagram:
    6>9>8>5>1>2
    Haha. I think it's typical. You say you value being understood. Thus it follows logically that you put in energy and effort to get people to understand you.
    But it worked. I understand your point of view a lot better than I did at first :)
     
  4. Barnabas

    Barnabas Time Lord

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2009
    Threads:
    263
    Messages:
    5,238
    Likes Received:
    651
    Trophy Points:
    667
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Florida man
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    Most people don't stick to a moral system because it makes them feel good, at least none of the major world religions do. Secular hedonism comes to mind, hedonism get's a bum rap mostly cause it's tied to sexual perversion but that a gross over simplification of the philosophy.

    And that's not say that love doesn't or can't make you feel good, it can but it also often calls for sacrifice which to most people is unpleasant.

    I know what love is, and on a good day I can be as elegant as a piano, on a bad day I'm closer to recorder, right now I'm a four year old bnaging on his moms cooking wear with a wooden spoon. Love requires the piano.

    And I thought we had something special.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. sprinkles

    sprinkles Well-known member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2013
    Threads:
    70
    Messages:
    9,439
    Likes Received:
    6,606
    Trophy Points:
    1,011
    MBTI:
    xxxx
    Morality isn't about feeling good but it is about feeling something. Otherwise why do it? I'd like you to actually give me a reason that does not depend on a feeling or emotion.

    We do. But I still don't understand you. At least not at this juncture.
     
  6. sprinkles

    sprinkles Well-known member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2013
    Threads:
    70
    Messages:
    9,439
    Likes Received:
    6,606
    Trophy Points:
    1,011
    MBTI:
    xxxx
    [MENTION=1848]Barnabas[/MENTION]
    Also feelings are really complex and good ones aren't the only desirable feelings. (and some times we act to avoid feelings such as pain or fear)

    Good example is working very hard, and feeling tired and sore after. Maybe even aggravated or frustrated if you had to work with some difficult people. Ultimately though you went in for a feeling. Perhaps the feeling of having accomplished your goal, which can be positive even when you're full of otherwise bad feelings for the moment.
     
  7. Barnabas

    Barnabas Time Lord

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2009
    Threads:
    263
    Messages:
    5,238
    Likes Received:
    651
    Trophy Points:
    667
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Florida man
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    That's easy, it the right thing to do.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. sprinkles

    sprinkles Well-known member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2013
    Threads:
    70
    Messages:
    9,439
    Likes Received:
    6,606
    Trophy Points:
    1,011
    MBTI:
    xxxx
    And why should we do the right thing? Moreover, why are the consequences of doing otherwise significant in any way?
     
  9. Barnabas

    Barnabas Time Lord

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2009
    Threads:
    263
    Messages:
    5,238
    Likes Received:
    651
    Trophy Points:
    667
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Florida man
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    This is going to get circular really fast.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. sprinkles

    sprinkles Well-known member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2013
    Threads:
    70
    Messages:
    9,439
    Likes Received:
    6,606
    Trophy Points:
    1,011
    MBTI:
    xxxx
    Only if you try to avoid the conclusion. But I'm trying to get you to see the point rather than simply telling you it is so without any kind of proof or explanation. Just really answer the question and you should see.
     
  11. Barnabas

    Barnabas Time Lord

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2009
    Threads:
    263
    Messages:
    5,238
    Likes Received:
    651
    Trophy Points:
    667
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Florida man
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    well the problem is we coming from different views, I believe that doing the right thing it's own reason. I don't do what I believe is right for some kind of emotional reaction or stimuli, because my emotions and stimuli can change but what is right doesn't.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. sprinkles

    sprinkles Well-known member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2013
    Threads:
    70
    Messages:
    9,439
    Likes Received:
    6,606
    Trophy Points:
    1,011
    MBTI:
    xxxx
    You're telling me you don't feel a compulsion to do right? That you do it based solely on reason and you don't get ANY emotional kickbacks at all?

    Edit:
    Also when something looks circular like that, it's usually the first sign that it isn't the true reason or conclusion.
     
  13. Barnabas

    Barnabas Time Lord

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2009
    Threads:
    263
    Messages:
    5,238
    Likes Received:
    651
    Trophy Points:
    667
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Florida man
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    Of course I get a response emotionally, but my emotional responses don't dictate my actions nor do they have drive them.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. sprinkles

    sprinkles Well-known member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2013
    Threads:
    70
    Messages:
    9,439
    Likes Received:
    6,606
    Trophy Points:
    1,011
    MBTI:
    xxxx
    I never claimed they did.
     
  15. Matt3737

    Matt3737 Similes are like songs in love.

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2011
    Threads:
    48
    Messages:
    2,680
    Likes Received:
    1,257
    Trophy Points:
    792
    Gender:
    Male
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Are the terms defined in such a way that the question isn't a false dichotomy where each is being used in a manner synonymously with the other? It seems like a false dilemma to me.

    If true love includes understanding and true understanding includes love then at what point does one preclude the other, i.e. One may love another, but not understand them; one may understand another, but not love them?

    Then follows a bunch of sematics regarding what 'love' or 'understanding' means and whether or not it's even possible for one to preclude the other.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #75 Matt3737, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  16. Trifoilum

    Trifoilum find wisdom, build hope.

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2009
    Threads:
    197
    Messages:
    6,568
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    1,697
    Trophy Points:
    380
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    6w5
    This actually becomes a very nice window or perspective on what constitutes love and understanding both for different individuals here.

    I do not think it is that wrong to prefer one over the other, but I think we all agree that we (realistically, without the confines of the thread) want some amount of both?

    I do not think one is more....righteous, or true, or better than the other; because please; the existence of manipulation and pushiness both proves than love and understanding can be used wrongly. And having just one does not give a personal fulfillment or happiness or a sense of meaning or help or even the privilege of solitude and being left alone.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. Trifoilum

    Trifoilum find wisdom, build hope.

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2009
    Threads:
    197
    Messages:
    6,568
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    1,697
    Trophy Points:
    380
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    6w5
    And I also express my sympathies for [MENTION=6917]sprinkles[/MENTION] for the heat you received .__.

    If I can be a busybody, I think the people here as a collective (including perhaps, me) are dangerously getting to the state of 'my perspective is better than yours and you are wrong / see my way' and.....

    I do not think it is necessarily true, but that is just me.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. Vict

    Vict mechanical and habitual agent

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2011
    Threads:
    17
    Messages:
    2,007
    Likes Received:
    456
    Trophy Points:
    627
    Location:
    CA
    MBTI:
    ISTP
    Enneagram:
    9
  19. Oscillation

    Oscillation Community Member

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2015
    Threads:
    37
    Messages:
    754
    Likes Received:
    105
    Trophy Points:
    28
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I would choose being loved, all the way. I will talk my mind, even though my audience might not understand a word, but I can not be loved without someone loving me.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. Free

    Free probably just a "like" bot
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    May 18, 2015
    Threads:
    51
    Messages:
    7,329
    Featured Threads:
    13
    Likes Received:
    31,935
    Trophy Points:
    3,727
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    Best Coast :p
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    295ish
    For me, I cannot choose one without the other; they go hand in hand. And I mean being truly understood, truly loved deep down within even the darkest parts of my soul. Not just having my POV understood, or loved because its obligatory (i.e. familial)
    I do not believe unconditional love exists. I have seen mothers turn their backs on their children, I have seen babies abandoned and have had men die in my arms in the ER. I have seen people living in streets wearing threadbare clothing in the dead of winter who give what little food they have to stray dogs when other people just pass them by like they are invisible. I have seen too much of true human nature to believe in unconditional love.
    But if it did exist, perhaps I would choose that.
     
    #80 Free, May 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
Loading...

Share This Page