Do you often feel older than your peers? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Do you often feel older than your peers?

I don't really feel older but I feel different :)) I get along with them but I prefer things most teens don't. I prefer to go out with just 2-3 people and go to coffee shops after watching a movie while they prefer clubbing after or going to some gaming place.

I love how you include the INTx's with the freaks. Priceless. LOL

I didn't notice that the first time I read that post. LOL *hums I Just Gotta Be Me*

I change a lot. If I am with a bunch of goofy people, I usually take the older sister approach and watch that they don't get in trouble. If I know someone else will do that job, I become 8 eight years old. lol. I have too many characters.

:) hahaha me too :) :p

no one ever told me I was older than my age :) :) bwahahahaha I keep everything in my head. I'm always the hyper smiley face girl :) :) :)

PLUS... I'm small and I look young :m200: so, I don't think people will say I act older :)) :)) bwahahahhaha

Couldnt this just be summed up as different people like different things?

Reactions: Nixie
I don't know if there is such a thing... and who defines it, by what authority or measure. People of the same age are very different. There used to be some (written) ideas about what they should be, but it doesn't match the reality. People are what they are. We could insist or condemn them for not being what we like to see, but that only hurts us and changes very little. I tend to relate to older people, younger people and... unusual people of my age-range, most easily.

INTx freaks out-of-step with the time in which they lived and the people around them.

I don't really feel like I have very many peers. I'm either the awkward, socially inept little brother or the weird, smart guy who puts with being surrounded by boring people.

I once met a guy outside of my house at 3 AM, walking down the street deep in thought, muttering to himself. He asked me some kind of philosophical question. I would say that he was one of my peers. He was around the same age as me.

I don't really feel like I have very many peers. I'm either the awkward, socially inept little brother or the weird, smart guy who puts with being surrounded by boring people.

How old are you?

It's not that I feel older, or younger.

I just feel that my aging goes along a different path.

My peers and I act like humans. There is a time to be serious, a time to laugh, a time to meditate, a time for everything.

I get this all the time. I'm in a slight position of authority in my job. Every time I meet a new client, she/he asks, "How old are you?"

Another question for folks: Do you actually look younger than your real age? In addition to being told I act older, I'm often told that I look about 6-7 years younger than I am.

I think age and the way we act cannot be correlated because it's different for everyone. But I do often feel more mature than a lot of my peers and even ppl older than me. I think it has to do with the way we reflect and learn; very internal. We often feel the need to understand things and so I think we grow at faster rates. Someone mentioned they like to date older ppl and I do too. Although I know that age is not a guarantee for maturity because I dated someone in their 30's and they act like a child.

Lots of factors contribute to the way we act so age is not a good indicator.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze
I think age and the way we act cannot be correlated because it's different for everyone. But I do often feel more mature than a lot of my peers and even ppl older than me. I think it has to do with the way we reflect and learn; very internal. We often feel the need to understand things and so I think we grow at faster rates. Someone mentioned they like to date older ppl and I do too. Although I know that age is not a guarantee for maturity because I dated someone in their 30's and they act like they're 18.

Lots of factors contribute to the way we act so age is not a good indicator.

Which do you think matters or factors more: maturity or experience.

I've often felt an obsession with this idea of seeming or feeling older but it's a nonsensical to think about it too much. To one person, you can seem "mature" and to another "quite young" and inexperienced. So, it's all relative.

Last edited:
Which do you think matters or factors more: maturity or experience.

I think experiences can mature us. I'm not really sure how to answer, maybe I don't really know what maturity actually is. Is it just age, or is there more to it?.. I think we have to accept and embrace our experiences to learn, grow, and mature. It's like learning from your mistakes, but some people avoid this process. And perhaps some people never have experiences worth learning from so they never mature. I guess I value experiences more.

Reactions: Gaze
My friends tell me I'm the group mom, so yes in that respect. And yes overall. I feel like I'm in a totally different mindset than everyone my age. I mean, I act like I'm 4 sometimes, but then I have the mindset of a 65 year old.

Certainly, it's much easier for me to talk/relate to those in their late 20's or early 30's, people around my age just seem less mature (for the most part anyway). Unfortunately, I've broken off many friendships for that reason; I could no longer see eye to eye with many of my peers. I've been called an "old soul" a number of times, but I kind of see myself more as a "stick in mud" - or just someone who's unable to relate to his peers.

I guess I would say that in many ways I am immature/inexperienced, but I feel just the opposite.

Last edited: