Do you often feel older than your peers? | INFJ Forum

Do you often feel older than your peers?

Odyne

===========
Banned
Aug 19, 2009
MBTI
Enneagram
I have had people in their late 20s and 30s tell me that I think like 25+ year old. I remember a couple years back someone I had just met couldn't believe that I was in fact 18.

I am now 22, and this still happens even in real life. I don't relate much to most of the people around me that are of my generation (unless they experience what I am describing right here). I tend to enjoy conversations with older people, I've dated older men, etc.

Do you feel the same way? Do you think and act older than your actual age, or do you think that most people are having a hard time growing up? :p

No, seriously. Where is the norm here?

Yes, actually. I get this A LOT! When I was 13 I went to therapy and my psychologist told me some of the things I said sounded like I was 40 in my mind. -_-"

I have also had people yell at me to stop making sense...

Edit: I don't feel older than I am. I read this wrong. I thought it said do other people tell you you sound older than you are... oops!

Last edited:
There are so many people pretending to feel older than their age than acting older may actually be acting your age.

I used to feel older when I was 15-16, because I had convinced myself that I didn't need to conform to any external standard, and to me, anyone who did conform was immature. I learned soon enough that it doesn't quite work that way...I have much to learn. I don't feel older anymore, just differently aligned because I've just spent more time working on aspects of my personality that others didn't.

I get this quite a bit. I'm guessing that when people guess my age is much higher than it actually is, it's their way of politely saying that I've aged terribly.

'Feeling older' is pretty subjective.

I don't feel older at all (actually, I think I'm still pretty immature-ish for my age) but apparently many people think opposite of it.

But hey, sounds good for me. Let people think whatever they wish.

Yeah, it happens to me quite a lot. I've been told that I come across as 20-25. I'm sixteen.

Reactions: Feelings
I act older naturally and I'm mistaken for 28ish all the time now. I think most INFJs seem older due to maturity level. Like 'old souls.' I've felt 5+ years older than my peers since I was about 8. Without meaning to, I tend to make friends with those in their late 20s or early 30s. It can be a lonely place to see friends my age in their party phases, which I got out of my system at ~15. I have very little connection with people my age, but I wish I did sometimes!

I've been told by a bunch of middle-aged co-workers (when I was 25-26) "You're too young to be living like that!" because I'm a hermit. This may be different though.

Afterthought: I do feel less advanced/mature/experienced in a few select areas than my peers. Sometimes its with how things work or the way I'm hung up on details and it seems to flow so naturally with others (hard to describe). But that might just be part of being an INFJ.

well actually, I feel and come across as much younger then my peers. .

Just more highly developed in areas I put importance over so I feel older in certain ways.

Yeah, it happens to me quite a lot. I've been told that I come across as 20-25. I'm sixteen.

I can vouch that....:nod:

Odyne.

From what I've observed here, you all seem more aware than your peers.
I think the knowledge that comes with awareness allows you guys to make better choices, to see more views and perspectives, which indicates someone who has lived more "Life".
And you guys are very intelligent too.

It's a pleasure to see.:nod:

in some areas, older. in some other areas, younger.

I feel so old I'm applying for AARP!

yeah, that was a banner day. . when I got my AARP card in the mail. . .sheesh. . .