Do you find most people to be emotionally superficial? | Page 6 | INFJ Forum

Do you find most people to be emotionally superficial?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I struggle a lot when it comes to dealing with certain aspects in others. I seek emotional and intellectual depth and it seems that most people only want to look at human nature and the world in a superficial way. For example, my INTP boyfriend doesn't like talking with his dad even though the latter calls him about once every ten days or so. I asked him why he does this and he prefers to sweep things under the rug. I noticed he does this when family members are ill too. He just prefers not to deal with emotions and has a superficial understanding of the emotions of others in general.

I have noticed this in the majority of people really. It also makes me wonder whether many of these people have the depth (emotional and intellectual) to understand the world in general. I can't tell you how many superficial academic papers I have read recently.

Sorry for the rant. I was wondering if other INFJs struggle with finding people who share their emotional and intellectual depth.
A couple of thoughts .....

Surely your INTP is behaving typically. Inferior Fe isn’t easy to control by definition. INTPs have a profound depth of feeling but have a degree of difficulty and awkwardness in accessing and processing it. On the other hand their intellectual depth is maybe the deepest of all the types and will go far deeper than most feelers can access or understand.

A refusal to engage is not necessarily a symptom of emotional superficiality though. There are many comments in the forum that show how empathic people can run into severe boundary problems when out of compassion they let other people’s emotionally disturbed needs become their own. This can lead to mental health problems. We have to learn to shut out the emotional racket that’s going on all around us and only see deeply when we choose to. That can look like shallowness from the outside, but what you would be seeing is a boundary not the core.

Something to watch is the way Fi can distort our judgement if it isn’t high up in our stack. It colours all our thinking with oughts that are projected onto people around us, and sits as a subtext under the things we do and say. It stops us from seeing other people as they are, only as we think they should be.

;___;

I see that you’re satisfied with saying that, but not why. Hmm...
You seem pretty robust, so here's what I saw:

Here's the facts:

- RE doesn't think most people are particularly deep. Shares his opinion. Whatever. I don't happen to agree with what his opinion was, but that's irrelevant - this is a discussion forum.
- Loves his wife
- Wants to work but is stuck in immigration limbo
- Having personal status issues and getting defensive because of said limbo

~ Karen comes in, with perfect personal stability/security and starts an argument with him
~ Shames him for being a NEET (/loser).

That is what's called a toxic bitch. Covert because Karen has better social awareness and men are difficult to give a shit about, especially if they're made to look like 'losers' and/or silly.

;___;

I see that you’re satisfied with saying that, but not why. Hmm...
Bullying a guy who's not legally allowed to work for not working? Plus the dude moved across the world to take care of the girl he loves and the momentary disruption that that causes is somehow proof that he's a loser?

I think you're the loser. @ReasonEnduring didn't do anything wrong other than being foreign. Which is kinda gross to be fair.

Here's the facts:

- RE doesn't think most people are particularly deep. Shares his opinion. Whatever. I don't happen to agree with what his opinion was, but that's irrelevant - this is a discussion forum.
- Loves his wife

~ Karen comes in, with perfect personal stability/security and starts an argument with him

That is what's called a toxic bitch. Covert because Karen has better social awareness and men are difficult to give a shit about, especially if they're made to look like 'losers' and/or silly.

Bullying a guy who's not legally allowed to work for not working? Plus the dude moved across the world to take care of the girl he loves and the momentary disruption that that causes is somehow proof that he's a loser?

I think you're the loser. @ReasonEnduring didn't do anything wrong other than being foreign. Which is kinda gross to be fair.

Agreed.

Here's the facts:

- Loves his wife

Keep in mind that I don’t even know this guy and that he’s such a nice guy who loves his wife. I’m just going based off of his shitty opinions he stated about other people and skimming his ridiculous claims. It’s nothing personal. He’s an adult with a partner he loves with the comfort of debating on the internet and feeling like other people are less deep than him. I don’t see how my reaction is particularly damaging, toxic or problematic given these circumstances. You seem like a nice friend I guess, although I do remember your white knight narcissism thread....

Yeah, I didn’t call him a loser. You’re putting words in my mouth. I don’t harbor any negative feelings towards you @ReasonEnduring . I just called him a NEET with no experience in what he wanted to do, which he technically is, and to STFU from it, and the reason is just because I have comparable experience. I’ve moved across the world too for someone I love, and it was not easy. Yet I’m not complaining about these things and he was.

I don’t know anything about him. If that’s indeed true that he’s going through hard times then I apologize if I made you feel bad @ReasonEnduring .

although I do remember your white knight narcissism thread....
Hah!

You are classic :tearsofjoy:

That's the kind of toxicity I'm talking about - undermine the other person's credibility.

Well I guess my opinions are invalid now because it's been successfully alluded-to that I'm a White Knight Narcissist (=loser). Sorry, guys, I'll pack up my stall now, this is over.

I don't give a fuck what kind of longstanding reputation and fondness you have here on this forum, because this behaviour that I've seen from you tonight is vile.

You were hilarious, though, I grant you that, and we're all dicks sometimes absolutely, so be assured that this won't stick to you for me.

In any case, take care, Karen.

Yeah, I didn’t call him a loser. You’re putting words in my mouth. I don’t harbor any negative feelings towards you @ReasonEnduring . I just called him a NEET with no experience in what he wanted to do, which he technically is, and to STFU from it, and the reason is just because I have comparable experience.
So you didn't call him a loser just a NEET well that's totally different then why didn't you say so?

I'm convinced Karen

Hah!

You are classic :tearsofjoy:

That's the kind of toxicity I'm talking about - undermine the other person's credibility.

Well I guess my opinions are invalid now because it's been successfully alluded-to that I'm a White Knight Narcissist (=loser). Sorry, guys, I'll pack up my stall now, this is over.

I don't give a fuck what kind of longstanding reputation and fondness you have here on this forum, because this behaviour that I've seen from you tonight is vile.

You were hilarious, though, I grant you that, and we're all dicks sometimes absolutely, so be assured that this won't stick to you for me.

In any case, take care, Karen.
I didn’t mention anything about my long-standing reputation on this forum in this thread, except for with how I remembered the weird OP chick from many years back.

You were the first one to mention it.

Why is this? Are you trying to destroy my credibility?

Are you trying to destroy my credibility?
giphy.gif

So you didn't call him a loser just a NEET well that's totally different then why didn't you say so?

I'm convinced Karen
Well, someone who has such a shitty opinion of humanity in general like he said is a loser for that, and if he doesn’t have a job then I’m going to poke at him for it. Like I said, I don’t even know him. So now I’m saying it. But I didn’t even look at his circumstances in detail either as it was TLDR... but tbh, again, I have experience being foreign and having trouble with getting a job, yet I’m not whining about it here. And it’s ironic because this person on the surface represents exactly what they’re condemning others for.

Looking more closely, I’m sure your situation must be complicated @ReasonEnduring . Of course I don’t know you so I don’t really give a shit about you even knowing that, in the sense that I’m not attached to you in any way, so I don’t think you would even care about my understanding or not.

Reactions: Misadventure
Status
Not open for further replies.