Do you find most people to be emotionally superficial? | Page 7 | INFJ Forum

Do you find most people to be emotionally superficial?

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif
Ok owl

Well, someone who has such a shitty opinion of humanity in general like he said is a loser for that, and if he doesn’t have a job then I’m going to poke at him for it. Like I said, I don’t even know him. So now I’m saying it. But I didn’t even look at his circumstances in detail either as it was TLDR...
So it is personal and you don't actually care what he has to say? Got it.
but tbh, again, I have experience being foreign and having trouble with getting a job, yet I’m not whining about it here. And it’s ironic because this person on the surface represents exactly what they’re condemning others for.
Nobody is allowed to be upset about anything that you also went through without your permission, got it.
I don’t think you would even care about my understanding or not.
You're projecting so hard you could point yourself at a wall and show a powerpoint presentation

So it is personal and you don't actually care what he has to say? Got it.

Nobody is allowed to be upset about anything that you also went through without your permission, got it.

You're projecting so hard you could point yourself at a wall and show a powerpoint presentation
Umm... no, it’s not personal. Except for my apology to him which is?

They can be upset but if I feel they are being contradictory and basically calling all of humanity shallow assholes then I *might* poke fun at them for it....

How am I projecting? You are the person who posted about circular reasoning without an actual understanding of what it is, I now remember.

Also, I’m not even sure why you brought it up @Deleted member 16771 but I am also aware that almost nobody gives a shit about me anymore or knows who I am on here, nor do I know or really remember who anybody else is, which is actually what makes it more entertaining for me to post on here. Don’t worry, I won’t social climb to the point where I take away your sturdy position on this relatively unknown Internet forum.

Reactions: Misadventure
Also, I’m not even sure why you brought it up @Deleted member 16771 but I am also aware that almost nobody gives a shit about me anymore or knows who I am on here, nor do I know or really remember who anybody else is, which is actually what makes it more entertaining for me to post on here.
Don't be silly. You made @ReasonEnduring look like a silly prick and he isn't. I wanted to correct that balance. I wanted to flag an issue that happens all too often when people are goaded/bullied into making themselves look a certain way. You needed to apologise. Those are my reasons and they are very clear.

Don’t worry, I won’t social climb to the point where I take away your sturdy position on this relatively unknown Internet forum.
Lol, you need to stop that. It makes you look like a silly prick.

The only thing I've targeted is your behaviour. And called you Karen.

A couple of thoughts .....

Surely your INTP is behaving typically. Inferior Fe isn’t easy to control by definition. INTPs have a profound depth of feeling but have a degree of difficulty and awkwardness in accessing and processing it. On the other hand their intellectual depth is maybe the deepest of all the types and will go far deeper than most feelers can access or understand.

A refusal to engage is not necessarily a symptom of emotional superficiality though. There are many comments in the forum that show how empathic people can run into severe boundary problems when out of compassion they let other people’s emotionally disturbed needs become their own. This can lead to mental health problems. We have to learn to shut out the emotional racket that’s going on all around us and only see deeply when we choose to. That can look like shallowness from the outside, but what you would be seeing is a boundary not the core.

Something to watch is the way Fi can distort our judgement if it isn’t high up in our stack. It colours all our thinking with oughts that are projected onto people around us, and sits as a subtext under the things we do and say. It stops us from seeing other people as they are, only as we think they should be.

"INTPs have a profound depth of feeling" - I want to believe that but am not sure it's true. We actually had a debate once, and if I remember correctly, some people argued that INTPs are the most "feely" of all thinking types. Of course we would have to define "feely" but yes, in some ways I agreed. Maybe "sensitive" would be a better word, although not the right one either.

But in terms of depth of feeling, I pretty much agree with the stereotypes about INTPs.

I realise more and more though, that sometimes the position of a certain function in a stack does not reflect its strength. For example, from my perspective, INFP can often be more "logical" than INFJ, despite INFJ having Ti higher and INFP are supposed to be the weakest at it. There is something stubborn about INFJ's Ti - unwilling to back down and admit a mistake.

Similarly INTJ and INTP. I think INTJ definitely have deeper feelings but in any other way, INTPs can appear more feely (warmth, compassion, softness etc.).

Well, I guess this is already included in the distinction between Fe/Fi and Te/Ti. So nothing new here, really.

@Deleted member 16771 , @ReasonEnduring himself even said at the end that he thought he was being dumb, after it was clear to him why I said what I did.

I think you just like him to the point where in instances where he actually IS being a silly prick, you want to ignore that it’s happening. Everybody is a silly prick at least 1% of the time and I don’t think it should be such a big deal. Nowhere did I say @ReasonEnduring was a shitty person overall or anything like that. Rather, I can see how bad circumstances would push people into a negative state of mind. However, that doesn’t mean I’m interested in coddling shitty attitudes. I personally consider that to actually be toxic. To each their own, let’s leave it at that.

You were hilarious, though, I grant you that, and we're all dicks sometimes absolutely, so be assured that this won't stick to you for me.
Considering how you painted your friend here with the brush of “can never be a silly prick, ever, and anyone who accidentally makes them look that way is toxic, and I’m just gonna go ahead and scream at them for being a toxic Karen”, I don’t believe that. From what I’ve observed of you, I think you have kind of extreme or hot and cold impressions of others based on your attachments towards them. This is a bit weird because it’s an Internet forum and therefore it’s impossible to have a deep understanding of others on here unless you’ve been talking to them for years along with video chat or have met them in IRL. I don’t think this is a bad thing per se, but I think it’s useful to know about yourself and how you come across.

"INTPs have a profound depth of feeling" - I want to believe that but am not sure it's true. We actually had a debate once, and if I remember correctly, some people argued that INTPs are the most "feely" of all thinking types. Of course we would have to define "feely" but yes, in some ways I agreed. Maybe "sensitive" would be a better word, although not the right one either.

But in terms of depth of feeling, I pretty much agree with the stereotypes about INTPs.

I realise more and more though, that sometimes the position of a certain function in a stack does not reflect its strength. For example, from my perspective, INFP can often be more "logical" than INFJ, despite INFJ having Ti higher and INFP are supposed to be the weakest at it. There is something stubborn about INFJ's Ti - unwilling to back down and admit a mistake.

Similarly INTJ and INTP. I think INTJ definitely have deeper feelings but in any other way, INTPs can appear more feely (warmth, compassion, softness etc.).

Well, I guess this is already included in the distinction between Fe/Fi and Te/Ti. So nothing new here, really.
The trouble is that the word ‘feel’ is overworked - we could do with three or four words to split out these meanings. I’ll explore a bit and see where it goes.

MBTI discussions tend to give the impression that the non preferred functions are excluded but in reality everyone used them all extensively. The differences come in how much we have conscious control of them, and how competent we are at using them.

The INTPs I know seem to have a rich emotional life - in part because their inferior Fe connects most directly to their unconscious minds that way. What’s often difficult for them is to use Fe judgement in an easy, fluent way, or to express feelings without seeming gauche. That is quite different from saying they have no depth of feeling - on the contrary. This is analogous to my own experience of Se - I’m clumsy as hell, get overwhelmed easily by too much sensory input, but find that it sometimes connects me to the world in an incredible symbiotic oneness.

I’m sure you are right about INFJ Ti. It’s that evil Ni/Ti empire lol. The INTJ Ni/Fi alliance is just as fascinating....

Considering how you painted your friend here with the brush of “can never be a silly prick, ever, and anyone who accidentally makes them look that way is toxic, and I’m just gonna go ahead and scream at them for being a toxic Karen”, I don’t believe that. From what I’ve observed of you, I think you have kind of extreme or hot and cold impressions of others based on your attachments towards them. This is a bit weird because it’s an Internet forum and therefore it’s impossible to have a deep understanding of others on here unless you’ve been talking to them for years or have met them in IRL. I don’t think this is a bad thing per se, but I think it’s useful to know about yourself and how you come across.
Thanks.

Reactions: flower and barbad0s
*Imagines self walking into a huge Costco warehouse and seeing it totally empty except for a single plastic kiddie pool sitting there deflated on the ground*

That’s how I feel about INFJs and trying to comprehend their depth. I’m not necessarily sure if they’re deeper or more shallow, just more confusing.

Oh...INFJs(real ones) are pretty deep. (Just read some of the shit by Dostoevsky to get an idea - or read stuff posted here by @John K ) but they're actually not the ones to go to for emotional "feely-wheely" stuff. Naw, that's the INFPs(think lovely dreamy stuff) and ENFJs(think bravado, soap opera, or just opera) territory. INFJs (along with ENFPs) got some wacky shape-shifting blow-the-lid-off your head kind of insight and ideas about things that will shake your belief and your mind and rattle your brain. And they can do it in a "cool" way, or you'll just get all offended and turn away like most sheepish people.

Oh...INFJs(real ones) are pretty deep. (Just read some of the shit by Dostoevsky to get an idea - or read stuff posted here by @John K ) but they're actually not the ones to go to for emotional "feely-wheely" stuff. Naw, that's the INFPs(think lovely dreamy stuff) and ENFJs(think bravado, soap opera, or just opera) territory. INFJs (along with ENFPs) got some wacky shape-shifting blow-the-lid-off your head kind of insight and ideas about things that will shake your belief and your mind and rattle your brain. And they can do it in a "cool" way, or you'll just get all offended and turn away like most sheepish people.
I think you are right on here :). There's several places in this thread where people are commenting at two levels - there's an apparent discussion about a particular statement, and whether it's correct or not, but it comes with a subtext: the subtext is I'm an OK person, you / he / she / they / it are not an OK person, or the opposite. In Transaction Analysis terms it's an exchange of Parent <-> Child transactions thinly disguised as Adult <-> Adult. I don't think I need to point out the extreme Thinking / Feeling polarity between these. It's best if those subtexts are brought out into the open, firmly but compassionately, so they can become the real focus of discussion instead of a hidden agenda - often it isn't obvious this is what's happening to the people involved, though I'm sure it's also used quite deliberately by some folks.

I type Dostoevsky Fi Ne, just a more serious variety.

I agree that INFJs can seem very deep in their presentation of their insights, and that they are on the one hand, but on the other hand they eat, shit and breathe and have base motivations like the rest of us. In some cases they are often more power hungry and shallow than other types. Jung said the inferior Se can make them really out of control like that.

I literally meant it. I'll take all personal observations of me and try to integrate them. There is no subtext here.

I'm sorry about the 'toxic bitch' comment, let me clarify: the behaviour was toxic in my view; you are not intrinsically toxic.
You say that like you know me! Amazing. I could totally be inherently toxic, couldn’t I? This kind of a set decision with limited information is a little bit weird to me, to be honest.

Still, I respect you for at least observing yourself and others, caring about your friends, and even apologizing like this.

.Jung said the inferior Se can make them really out of control like that.
That's interesting, can you quote Jung on that (I'm curious about all of those power-hungry and "out-of-control" INFJs)?
Why do you type Dostoevsky INFP?

That's interesting, can you quote Jung on that (I'm curious about all of those power-hungry and "out-of-control" INFJs)?
Why do you type Dostoevsky INFP?
“The introverted intuitive’s chief repression falls upon the sensation of the object. His unconscious is characterized by this fact. For we find in his unconscious a compensatory extraverted sensation function of an archaic character. The unconscious personality may, therefore, best be described as an extraverted sensation-type of a rather low and primitive order. Impulsiveness and unrestraint are the characters of this sensation, combined with an extraordinary dependence upon the sense impression. This latter quality is a compensation to the thin upper air of the conscious attitude, giving it a certain weight, so that complete ‘sublimation’ is prevented. But if, through a forced exaggeration of the conscious attitude, a complete subordination to the inner perception should develop, the unconscious becomes an opposition, giving rise to compulsive sensations whose excessive dependence upon the object is in frank conflict with the conscious attitude. The form of neurosis is a compulsion-neurosis, exhibiting symptoms that are partly hypochondriacal manifestations, partly hypersensibility of the sense organs and partly compulsive ties to definite persons or other objects.”

https://www.idrlabs.com/articles/2010/12/jungs-portrait-of-the-infj-intj-types/

And as for Dosto, his works seem more universalist humanistic to me, and “absurd” in terms of his stories’ concepts. Of course that’s also “deep”, but in an Fi Ne way, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.