Do you find most people to be emotionally superficial? | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Do you find most people to be emotionally superficial?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think 'depth' might refer to the relationship between what it's possible to say about a subject vs what is actually said, like it's a kind of property of volume.

This can't work if that 'volume' is 'detail', though, but has to be a measure of 'profundity', which is indefinable.

So basically, a judgment on someone's level of depth would be entirely dependent on how thoroughly you, the Vice President and Secretary of Deep Club, have examined the subject yourself and the novelty of perspectives introduced in conversation.

For example, my INTP boyfriend doesn't like talking with his dad even though the latter calls him about once every ten days or so

As an INTP I am the same. Why should I talk with my parents on the phone every week? When I was at home, we did not communicate at all - and now we are suppose to share and talk every week. It doesn't go like that.

Why do I avoid it? Simple, I don't feel comfortable doing it. I don't feel comfortable pretending to be nice and caring with them, but I also don't feel comfortable being too harsh and cold with them. So I prefer not to talk.

However, I could talk with my friends and girlfriend every day. That's because we have built good emotional and intellectual connection over the years.

My apologies. 'She', if that is your correct pronouns.

I'm a pesimist. I see the worst in most people. I see the world as a trash heap that needs cleaning. It got that way due to a lack of maintainance.

Maybe I'm wrong but its how I see the world. I want to make the world better so people like my wife (and possibly like myself in some ways) don't have to suffer what we suffered.

It won't go that way unless people DO something. And I don't see enough people doing something, only blaming the other guy for what he did or didn't do.

You aren't wrong. I can be a bit prideful. Remnants of the superiority complex I developed as a self defense mechanism.

Deep is connecting the dots. Seeing the big picture.

Scratch that.
I think you're in turmoil.

A lot of the way you present yourself is ringing alarm bells.

I wouldn't say anything normally, but I'm wary of the time that I would have to say anything to you.

So basically, a judgment on someone's level of depth would be entirely dependent on how thoroughly you, the Vice President and Secretary of Deep Club, have examined the subject yourself and the novelty of perspectives introduced in conversation.
Who said anything about a subjective judger?

Holup though... who's the President?

I think you're in turmoil.

A lot of the way you present yourself is ringing alarm bells.

I wouldn't say anything normally, but I'm wary of the time that I would have to say anything to you.

Doesn't help I'm only half in this. Helping a certain someone with a problem right now. I don't know perhaps I should shut up.

Who said anything about a subjective judger?

There's the Academy.

Holup though... who's the President?

I had a very thorough and in-depth discussion about different flavours of cheetos the other day, so obviously I'm the most qualified here.

It won't go that way unless people DO something. And I don't see enough people doing something, only blaming the other guy for what he did or didn't do.
Yeah and that’s exactly what you were doing. All you have is textwalls of plans with zero experience, and on top of that conflicting attitudes towards the people you claim you want to help. You have no proof that you’ve DONE anything relevant to what you want to do. You’re just being negative here. Sorry but this just looks ridiculous. And you picked exactly the wrong person to debate this with because I am all about experience, with EXACTLY the experience you described where you have none. What a great coincidence!

Deep is deep. The beholder chooses the dimension where depth is resolved
'Deep' is necessarily a subjective property, but 'depth' isn't.

It's possibly to imagine an objective scale of 'depth' in the aggregate of human judgement, like a fiat currency.

You could say 'the value of the Dollar is entirely subjective', and you'd be right. But it would be wrong to then conclude from that that Dollars can't be relied upon as a standard measure of value.

Like fat and weight?
I agree, but depth is objective using units that are quantifiable. There aren't any intuitometers or emometers or whatever
I'm not saying it would be practically possible, but still as a theoretical property? I buy it for now.

Also, I should clarify: I'm just speaking out of my ass, I'm not claiming any kind of authority or real knowledge.

Yeah and that’s exactly what you were doing. All you have is textwalls of plans with zero experience, and on top of that conflicting attitudes towards the people you claim you want to help. You have no proof that you’ve DONE anything relevant to what you want to do. Sorry but this just looks ridiculous. And you picked exactly the wrong person to debate this with because I am all about experience.

This started because you claimed all INFJs weren't actually deep. You claimed all INFJs were basically shallow. As an INFJ I tried to say something to justify the way I think and feel.

I probably didn't do it right.

I'm dumb. I said dumb stuff. I always seem to say dumb stuff.

I know I'm an idiot. I always try to do the right thing, but I constantly fuck up.

I am sorry, I will not bother you further.

I am getting so tired of being wrong.

But seriously.

How would you define it?
I agree with @Wyote ’s definition. A child can be effectively deep in some situations to most people. A lot of it depends on the subjective interpretation of the listener.

Also, most realizations that people have had have already been had by someone else before. They are pretty universal to all humans, even if some maybe engage in the stereotypical idea of focused reflection more than others to get to those thoughts. Ironically, being more candid rather than intentionally reflective is more likely to give you something truly individually original.

This started because you claimed all INFJs weren't actually deep. You claimed all INFJs were basically shallow. As an INFJ I tried to say something to justify the way I think and feel.

I probably didn't do it right.

I'm dumb. I said dumb stuff. I always seem to say dumb stuff.

I know I'm an idiot. I always try to do the right thing, but I constantly fuck up.

I am sorry, I will not bother you further.

I am getting so tired of being wrong.
I didn’t even claim that INFJs were shallow lol. Well maybe indirectly my analogy kind of did (that’s to counteract the snowflake meme about them), but I meant that everyone is around the same of shallow/deep. INFJs are just more confusing people with “layers” (again, with questionable “depth” at each individual layer lol).

most realizations that people have had have already been had by someone else before. They are pretty universal to all humans

You take that back, I am SPECIAL!

Status
Not open for further replies.