Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
What do you all think?

Conservative Cameron takes the reins in Britain

ap_logo_106.png
AP

We're all doomed!

So... nobody won the election so they decided to call it a tie and lead in partnership? Well, one is the Prime Minister and the other is the Deputy Prime Minister at any rate?

Probably dumb questions, but was there a person who was running alongside David Cameron as Deputy Prime Minister (kind of like the US Vice President) or did they invent the post for Nick Clegg?

And so it seems that the British public is not sure whether they like Conservatives or Liberal Democrats better but evidently they are sure they don't like Labour.

Will be interesting to watch how it all works! :D Make 'em play nice.

I like how people don't pick the leftist/rightist ideologies anymore, and are prone to dead ties. In the US for more than a decade there have been dead ties, and perhaps their system also needs to allow the so called opposing parties to be able to work more closely together.

I like how people don't pick the leftist/rightist ideologies anymore, and are prone to dead ties. In the US for more than a decade there have been dead ties, and perhaps their system also needs to allow the so called opposing parties to be able to work more closely together.

I totally agree! Go Brits! Show us how it's done!

(heh... maybe)

I also consulted Wikipedia and learned that Deputy Prime Minister is not at all like our Vice President, it is in fact an optional post that is either appointed or not by the current prime minister. Interesting.

Parties have moved towards the centre in search of votes, which has meant they have compromised on their values. Labour have moved further and further from their leftwing roots

It might be a good thing for labour that they didn't win because the next government is going to make themselves very unpopular with the people.

The tories will basically make massive cuts to public spending and will antagonise the scottish and welsh, which might draw more voters to the nationalist parties, which might speed up the break up of Britain

I hope the referendum comes down firmly in favour of reform to the voting system

Last edited:
As an outsider, I just have "more than two party envy".

I realize there have been largely two parties in power for a long time, but the ability to form coalitions intrigue's my INFJ mind. I hope the voting reform passes and more points of view are brought to the table.

Best mix, I'm very happy with it. Thank god Labour have finally got the boot, the buggers.

[sarcasm]
Hi, I'm an American Citizen. Here in America (That's the BIG country on that big continent) we are so excited. I heard that the UK is far away and surrounded by water. It sounds nice. I can respect your queen's choice in leader. After he made Avatar he could have any country he wanted. England is a great choice in an island. I hope he gets along with her ok, she is a bit older than him. They certainly won't be having any kids! Do you think he will film the sequel in Paris? The queen could stand on the Eyeful Tower and wave and stuff. That would be soo cool. Do you think he will get along with Madonna and the Prince of Whales? I saw a show on TV that had English people in it, but I couldn't understand what they were saying. Anyway, maybe now you can finally become a real democracy and be more like us. Awesome!
[/sarcasm]

Last edited:
Voted for Liberals, so glad Clegg got the Deputy Prime Minister's job. About time the Liberals had some say in things, and we get a referendum on voting reform. Swallow that, Tories. :D

They even made a unified immigration policy.

As many immigrants who want to enter can, then they are hunted for sport.

Clearly Cameron gives the better blowjob.

I don't really know enough about the policies from any of the parties so I did not have much of a stake in the whole thing, however my boyfriend is most displeased.

he supports libdems? Or he is just intelligent and hates the tories...

I don't know much about him, although from the photo he looks a bit like Piers morgan.

i'm curious to see how opposing parties can work together. i get tired of the stalemates and blaming here in the united states. of course i always think it's the fault of the party i don't support! : )

Conservatives who aren't social conservatives? Liberal Democrats who want to save money rather than spend it? What kind of topsy turvy world do they have over there in the UK?

_47834941_009274523-1.jpg

I reckon this this coalition could be a great opportunity for the country. The key point is the commitment to have a referendum on abolishing the first past the post system of voting, which is a hang up from the Victorian days when only around 4 million people had voting rights, and moving on to proportional representation. There will be greater transparency in MP's expenditure and overall it'll be FAIRER.

I used to tow the all to common line in the UK about politics: "they're all the same, can't trust anyone", but after sampling Turkish politics, the UK seems like a breath of fresh air. The British electorate should thank their lucky stars for the ease of exposure of corruption.

The Tories have got what they wanted economically, 6bn worth of cuts in this financial year rather than hiking up taxes. I'm not an economist so I can't say if I like that or not, but having 2 parties in a coalition that had differing economic views can only be healthy.

I'm majorly happy that the Tories will have their way with education, scrapping a load of the experimental shite the Labour government brought in and which I had to suffer under, and putting stock back in to 'let children be children and teachers be teachers'. Labour policies clearly empowered the pupil, which isn't all a bad thing, but 13 years of experimenatation have revealed that the overwhelming precedent this brought about was cocky, self-righteous kids demanding this that and everything without a moral or intellectual leg to stand on whilst the teachers quivered under the impending hammer of 'justice' in the form of sueing.

Thank god we'll stay out of the Euro too.

I also support the Conservatives immigration policy, but Nick Clegg is my favoured leader since I really get an impression of genuine trustworthiness and fairness about him. He talks in a stirring way, reforming and almost radical. Plus he is half Dutch (jester), quarter russian and speaks four languages.

We have some great figures in leading posts, Vince Cable and William Hague amongst them and I am overall very optimistic and am anxious to see how the coalition pans out.

During the campaign the ex-leader of UKIP, Nigel Farage, had a plane crash when his banner got tangled up in the engine, and he called that strange Rompuy guy in the euro parliament a damp rag. he's a funny guy:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxESjGmqqw4&[/youtube]

Last edited:
Conservatives who aren't social conservatives? Liberal Democrats who want to save money rather than spend it? What kind of topsy turvy world do they have over there in the UK?
This is what I'm thinking XD and I live there...

So many people were enraged that Clegg made a deal with Cameron - going against pretty much all his policies D: And I voted for Clegg!