David Cameron is the new British PM | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

David Cameron is the new British PM

This is what I'm thinking XD and I live there...

So many people were enraged that Clegg made a deal with Cameron - going against pretty much all his policies D: And I voted for Clegg!
He hardly went against most of his policies. The key one of electoral reform has been granted a referendum by the Conservatives (and it's pretty much certain the people would vote for proportional representation) and pretty monumental political reform, the Lib dem want of increasing the threshold before someone has to pay income tax to 10K per year, 5 year fixed parliaments, and some of their education policies too are all to be enacted.

The other two main policies the Lib Dems had that will not majorly be enforced in the new coalition are on immigration and the economy. Did you vote for them with either of those in mind then?

This gets Clegg coverage and an ability to get his policies implemented, and next election, he might be elected properly.

Remember Laurie, this is the first election campaign where the LibDems were even contenders. If they didn't take this, there's no way in hell they would have had enough clout to be Prime Minister next election, this was a brilliant move.

He hardly went against most of his policies. The key one of electoral reform has been granted a referendum by the Conservatives (and it's pretty much certain the people would vote for proportional representation) and pretty monumental political reform, the Lib dem want of increasing the threshold before someone has to pay income tax to 10K per year, 5 year fixed parliaments, and some of their education policies too are all to be enacted.

The other two main policies the Lib Dems had that will not majorly be enforced in the new coalition are on immigration and the economy. Did you vote for them with either of those in mind then?
I voted for them to get more university places put in - and that's not going to happen with the Tories in - they only want 10,000 places.
And the economy/immigration were not my personal goals, but they're some of the biggest issues with the UK at the moment. The Tories gave the Lib Dems the little policies.

It just sucks that my first time voting led to (and I quote) two Conservative parties.

@Shai (because I fail at multi-quotes) - unfortunately, so many people are annoyed at Clegg now (for siding with the Tories) that he's unlikely to get voted in next time either. It'll probably be Labour, as they aren't the ones making the cuts this time around.

I voted for them to get more university places put in - and that's not going to happen with the Tories in - they only want 10,000 places.
And the economy/immigration were not my personal goals, but they're some of the biggest issues with the UK at the moment. The Tories gave the Lib Dems the little policies.

It just sucks that my first time voting led to (and I quote) two Conservative parties.

@Shai (because I fail at multi-quotes) - unfortunately, so many people are annoyed at Clegg now (for siding with the Tories) that he's unlikely to get voted in next time either. It'll probably be Labour, as they aren't the ones making the cuts this time around.

True, I supported the lib dems' axeing of university fees, but that would be disastrous unless the conservatives made exams 'harder' again, because otherwise you'd have even more people flocking to unis in a country where already the industrial sector's weakness has left us hanging almost solely on banking/financial & service related strings, which isn't good for anyone.

And I wouldn't call electoral reform a 'little' policy. I don't think the lib dems would have gone into a coalition without the promise of electoral reform. They were thinking in the long term, since proportional representation in THIS election would have meant a much larger amount of lib dem seats and thus a larger lib dem voice. A coalition was the only way the lib dems could bring about electoral reform which in the next election will almost definately see them getting a much larger % of the vote, maybe even overtaking labour in parliament. THEN they will have real ammo to bring about their other reform ideas.

I think the conservative stance of boosting the backbone of britain as more self-sufficient and trying to revive the industrial past and also getting more people in apprenticeships is key. We've easily seen how countries that function almost solely on financial and service-related industry are vulnerable, the UK was very lucky not to go like Iceland did. Having all your eggs in one basket is BAD idea, especially in today's climate, so focusing on more university places which will only lead to more graduates trying to fill an already brimming job market is not a priority and could quite possibly be a bad idea as things stand at the moment.

Make higher education free? YES
Make examinations more challenging? YES (both of which lead to a greater number of highly skilled and niche graduates)
Pump more people into uni? What on earth for?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze
The value of a university education has been undermined by Labour. Tories want to change this for the wrong reasons, but as krumplenump indicated, in the long run it will help. Elitism should be on the basis of capability rather than wealth, and we will get there eventually. Not to say that a graduate is literally better than another person, but in order to compete globally, we need better quality graduates, rather than the dross that Labour has helped produce.

Reactions: Gaze
Tony Blair came to power wanting to make Britain a classless society.
Sitting between two Scouse Mothers, I can say with certainty that he has.

True, I supported the lib dems' axeing of university fees, but that would be disastrous unless the conservatives made exams 'harder' again, because otherwise you'd have even more people flocking to unis in a country where already the industrial sector's weakness has left us hanging almost solely on banking/financial & service related strings, which isn't good for anyone.
But these people wouldn't be passing the usual exams - they'd just be in the university. No more 'Stretch and Challenge' D: My sister's too stressed with A-levels already (she took a science).

And I wouldn't call electoral reform a 'little' policy. I don't think the lib dems would have gone into a coalition without the promise of electoral reform. They were thinking in the long term, since proportional representation in THIS election would have meant a much larger amount of lib dem seats and thus a larger lib dem voice. A coalition was the only way the lib dems could bring about electoral reform which in the next election will almost definately see them getting a much larger % of the vote, maybe even overtaking labour in parliament. THEN they will have real ammo to bring about their other reform ideas.
Whoever got in would probably have had to do the electoral reform, 'cause so many people knew about it by then - but why couldn't they have made the coalition with Labour, who share their ideals to a larger extent?

I think the conservative stance of boosting the backbone of britain as more self-sufficient and trying to revive the industrial past and also getting more people in apprenticeships is key. We've easily seen how countries that function almost solely on financial and service-related industry are vulnerable, the UK was very lucky not to go like Iceland did. Having all your eggs in one basket is BAD idea, especially in today's climate, so focusing on more university places which will only lead to more graduates trying to fill an already brimming job market is not a priority and could quite possibly be a bad idea as things stand at the moment.
Refer back to the days of Thatcher - privatised everything so transport went down the drain, trains had fewer coaches, buses ran less often to save businesses money.
Apprenticeships are good - the availability of them just needs to be advertised in a better light.

Make higher education free? YES
Make examinations more challenging? YES (both of which lead to a greater number of highly skilled and niche graduates) Make SOME examinations more challenging - like medicine etc. where you really, really need to know everything off-by-heart to do your job. Not things like English Literature, because it just makes no sense (why would you need to memorise quotes?).
Pump more people into uni? What on earth for? No, just give more places for those students who achieve the grades to get in.

Elf:
The value of a university education has been undermined by Labour. Tories want to change this for the wrong reasons, but as krumplenump indicated, in the long run it will help. Elitism should be on the basis of capability rather than wealth, and we will get there eventually. Not to say that a graduate is literally better than another person, but in order to compete globally, we need better quality graduates, rather than the dross that Labour has helped produce.
Very true, but the Tories will make it along the lines of wealth - not many people could afford to go if they went through with their initial plan (mentioned a while back) to increase student fees.
Labour did ruin it for the future generations, 'cause now they have to figure out away of only getting capable people in without making certain exams ridiculously (an unnecessarily) difficult (E.G. English Lit.)

Shai:
Tony Blair came to power wanting to make Britain a classless society.
Sitting between two Scouse Mothers, I can say with certainty that he has.
Heey, my parent's are Scouses XD

Oh, Fair points you have there. I'll just say that the reason they didn't go with labour was because to get a majority in parliament they'd have to get all the other smaller parties together in a 'rainbow' coalition. Keeping a rag-tag government together would have been very difficult and not progressive, especially with parties like the SNP and Plaid Cymru which are for the most part at odds with labour.

Yeah, I know ^^" But it would have meant them sticking to their morals a little more (What? A discussion about politics and morals? :eek:).
Funnily enough, the issues most parties said they had with Labour was Gordon Brown, but now he's gone they're still not siding with them - I guess he was just a scapegoat.

The Tories have nothing good in mind for my country, and I do not suspect this to go too well.

ALready my politicans are beginning their bootlicking activities to appease the conservatives.>>

Both the Conservatives and labour have messed around with the country historically, for better or worse. like the Thatcher years Laurie mentioned and then what Labour did to education for 13 years, immigration too.

Neither party have a consistently trustworthy history, but I feel this coalition will keep the tories in check. It's also easy to forget the roots of the Liberals - the Whigs, who often bandied some pretty groundbreaking reforms around. There is certainly more activism in the Lib Dem camp, but that isnt always neccessarily a good thing, so the balancing power of the Tories could make for a good mix.

Parties have moved towards the centre in search of votes, which has meant they have compromised on their values. Labour have moved further and further from their leftwing roots

It might be a good thing for labour that they didn't win because the next government is going to make themselves very unpopular with the people.

The tories will basically make massive cuts to public spending and will antagonise the scottish and welsh, which might draw more voters to the nationalist parties, which might speed up the break up of Britain

I hope the referendum comes down firmly in favour of reform to the voting system

Yes

you were right in your prediction all those year ago muir from the past....

the tories have made cuts deepening austerity and they have driven scots into the arms of the SNP

The scots have voted heavily for a nationalist government in 2015

Now cameron is going to have to keep his promise of a referendum on whether or not the UK should stay in the EU

Of course cameron wants the UK to stay in the EU because that is what his banking paymasters want, but he will still have to deliver on the referendum so the corporate media is going into action to try and brainwash the UK public that they must stay in the EU or terrible things will happen to them! Rupert Murdoch for example is taking a pro-EU stance and his newspapers are incredibly still widely read in the UK

A combination of fear mongering on the part of the corporate media and the politicians along with outright vote rigging (if necessary) will be used to try and ensure the UK stays in the EU

However there are other things going on beyond the UK

Greece for example is doing deals with russia over pipeline access to europe and might replace ukraine as the new gas terminal for europe

The foolish ukrainians have chosen the IMF over russia and as a result they will not only lose their place as europe gas terminal and have their economy destroyed by the IMF's neoliberal policies but their soil will now be polluted by monsanto's toxic GMO's and pesticides. the sooner the ukraine wakes up and throws out the zionists and their puppets from kiev the better it will be for the ukrainian people

Meanwhile the greeks will hopefully exit the EU. They could then drop the Euro currency and create their own drachma which they could produce interest free

The greeks will find willing business partners in the russians, iranians and icelanders among others

The scots are saying that if the UK votes to leave the EU another referendum on scottish independence will be required as the scots should decide for themselves if they want to stay in the EU

Well...another chance at independence would be nice but WE DON'T WANT TO STAY IN THE EU ANYWAY because it is just a project of the globalist central control bankers who are trying to build a new world order

Lets hope greece drops out and lets hope the Brits vote to get out of the EU and that we see another referendum on scottish independence that this time isn't rigged

We could see the break up of the EU and of britain and hopefully a widespread rejection of the central banking system and a decentralisation of power down to regional parliaments that are better able to manage local affairs

These new smaller and more decentralised states, with their own interest free currencies could then carry out reciprocal trade

Scotland for example could forget EU fishing quotas and could kick foreign fishermen out of its waters and could start providing its people with cheap, sustainably farmed sea food

It could throw out the trident nuclear weapons and make diplomatic overtures to russia so that we are no longer on their nuclear retaliation hitlist, thereby removing us from the shadow of nuclear war

It could also use its oil revenue to upgrade its national grid infrastructure and build tidal power facilities in the pentland firth which would provide 25% of scotlands energy requirements through renewable means

Scotland could also undergo land reform to break up the big estates and allow community buy outs and crofting incentives to give the land back to the highland and island communities that was stolen from them through violence, theft and intimidation

Scotland could create its own interest free currency and kick out the central bankers and end austerity and have a debt jubilee for its people renouncing all debt and allowing people a fresh start; if they did this other countries would develop the courage to follow suit. There are strong anti-austerity rumblings in ireland, portugal, spain and italy for example and the germans too are getting angry at US pressure and the marxist destruction of europe through weaponised mass immigration under the banner of 'multi-culturalism'

So much can be achieved if enough people have the vision and the belief.....the winds of change are blowing

Last edited: