[PUG] - Critical Thinking: What It Is and Why You Have the Right to Do It | INFJ Forum

[PUG] Critical Thinking: What It Is and Why You Have the Right to Do It

Duty

Permanent Fixture
Dec 24, 2008
MBTI
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
At first I wasn't going to put the "PUG" prefix on this thread, but how could I ever write an article about critical thinking and not openly invite people to practice it? It seemed almost dishonorable to me to not open this article up to criticism.

Critical thinking is the process by which we choose to accept or reject information, and how much confidence we put into that choice. In short, critical thinking is not a statement of whether a claim is true or false, but is an evaluation of the method(s) used to produce that claim. An evaluation of the domino theory of Communism, in the context of critical thinking, would tend to look at the way that this theory was formed, and not as much on the theory itself. Is this theory logically consistent and complete? Is the available intelligence on the USSR, relevant to the theory, credible and accurate? Is the theory even significant to our choice of intervening in Vietnam? These are the kinds of questions that critical thinking employs.

As you can see, critical thinking would have helped the decisions of the US government quite a bit in the 1960's. It is admittedly one of the most important, and widely applicable skills for people to develop.

So why is it that we seem to not have the right to it? Every day we are impressed upon to be unquestioning. It is easily seen when you attempt to have a casual conversation about anything even slightly controversial. Politics, religion, philosophy, law, what you should do later on...it's bad enough to people if you disagree and make a case opposite of them, but once you question the line of reasoning they used to get to their position in the first place, it's suddenly war.

Why is that? Why do people so hate to have their thinking evaluated? Is it because they see it as a threat to their status? To their intelligence? What causes people to be so upset at the critical thinking of others?

And lastly...do people have the right to critically think? Do people have the right to critically evaluate the information or opinions people give them, even when it causes others frustration?

I would say you absolutely have the right, even when it frustrates the other person. How could an individual not assert this fact about themselves? The uncritical evaluation of information leads to stories like that of the domino theory of Communism and worse. If information is obtained through dubious means, I could even say it is our duty to question it before it goes out of control. For, the world is uncontrollable, except by chance, unless our information is accurate and applicable.

So why is this right constantly threatened? Why do we feel such a need to react against those the critically evaluate our thought process? Would we not be more enthused to be corrected and set right? Wouldn't we rather be rescued instead of left in the depths of ignorance?

Last edited:
Critical thinking has kept me poor,ostracized and lonely.
Sometimes I wish I was a sheeple .

Naw

I think some critical thinking may also be applied as to when such thing can or should be employed and when it's just not the right time. To disregard this will generally lead to a negative outcome. If that's what you want, that's your call. Critical thinking is a wonderful thing...but it's best used with some discretion.

Last edited:
Being shown to be possibly, probably, or absolutely wrong in the opinions that underlie your decisions doesn't feel very nice. To most people. Being wrong is often equated to being defective, which in turn instils shame. Some learn from this process that... the process is painful, so they stop it at the point of them possibly being wrong.

That said, someone's right to avoid criticism stops at my door. It should not be tolerated for any person or faction to wield influence over another without at least outspoken critical thinking allowed, it is a bare minimum of scrutiny.

Critical thinking is not a right. It's a duty. A duty of which most people are incapable. The "tea party" movement is one example. Rush Limbaugh's "ditto heads" are another. When it comes to health, those who attribute a friend's cancer survival to taking an obscure rain forest supplement use anecdotal evidence where n = 1 to generalize about cancer cures. Not an appropriately powered experiment, to say the least. That most people vote without critically thinking is scary. It should be taught in schools. But, who would teach it? Certainly not the teachers I had in high school.

It is the most essential skill for my occupation next to empathy.

Everything has the right to be questioned. However, and this is a big however, there is a time and a place for it. It kind of parallels to the old addage "If you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all". Many people seem to think either everything must be actively subjected to inquiry, or be totally immune and resistant to it. That is where the problem lies.

I had no idea peoples right to think was being infringed upon, please explain.

as for the rest, I highly doubt that people lack this skill, also the idea that most people don't employ it. It may seem that they do not, but you can not say that they definitley do not. In truth we can't have acceces to all the information especially in things like politics. And it is certain that politicians have information you do not, If they act on information that you do not and make decisions based on that info, it may seem unthinking to you but be simple for them.

Last edited:
Truth is whatever makes me feel better.

At first I wasn't going to put the "PUG" prefix on this thread, but how could I ever write an article about critical thinking and not openly invite people to practice it? It seemed almost dishonorable to me to not open this article up to criticism.

Critical thinking is the process by which we choose to accept or reject information, and how much confidence we put into that choice. In short, critical thinking is not a statement of whether a claim is true or false, but is an evaluation of the method(s) used to produce that claim. An evaluation of the domino theory of Communism, in the context of critical thinking, would tend to look at the way that this theory was formed, and not as much on the theory itself. Is this theory logically consistent and complete? Is the available intelligence on the USSR, relevant to the theory, credible and accurate? Is the theory even significant to our choice of intervening in Vietnam? These are the kinds of questions that critical thinking employs.

As you can see, critical thinking would have helped the decisions of the US government quite a bit in the 1960's. It is admittedly one of the most important, and widely applicable skills for people to develop.

So why is it that we seem to not have the right to it? Every day we are impressed upon to be unquestioning. It is easily seen when you attempt to have a casual conversation about anything even slightly controversial. Politics, religion, philosophy, law, what you should do later on...it's bad enough to people if you disagree and make a case opposite of them, but once you question the line of reasoning they used to get to their position in the first place, it's suddenly war.

Why is that? Why do people so hate to have their thinking evaluated? Is it because they see it as a threat to their status? To their intelligence? What causes people to be so upset at the critical thinking of others?

And lastly...do people have the right to critically think? Do people have the right to critically evaluate the information or opinions people give them, even when it causes others frustration?

I would say you absolutely have the right, even when it frustrates the other person. How could an individual not assert this fact about themselves? The uncritical evaluation of information leads to stories like that of the domino theory of Communism and worse. If information is obtained through dubious means, I could even say it is our duty to question it before it goes out of control. For, the world is uncontrollable, except by chance, unless our information is accurate and applicable.

So why is this right constantly threatened? Why do we feel such a need to react against those the critically evaluate our thought process? Would we not be more enthused to be corrected and set right? Wouldn't we rather be rescued instead of left in the depths of ignorance?

I believe in critical thinking.

You act as though someone is suppressing your right, is this the case?

I had no idea peoples right to think was being infringed upon, please explain.

as for the rest, I highly doubt that people lack this skill, also the idea that most people don't employ it. It may seem that they do not, but you can not say that they definitley do not. In truth we can't have acceces to all the information especially in things like politics. And it is certain that politicians have information you do not, If they act on information that you do not and make decisions based on that info, it may seem unthinking to you but be simple for them.

I believe in critical thinking.

You act as though someone is suppressing your right, is this the case?

The reason I wrote this is because I think it would help many on this forum to keep critical thought in mind. It seems like we have had a large influx of "this is supposed to be a place that INFJ way of thinking is completely accepted" threads lately.

I just think it's a good thing to keep in mind: people wouldn't be in the right if they just accepted anyone's conclusions, even INFJs on an INFJ forum. Nobody here is out to cause others pain, and in fact when someone calls foul on a conclusion, it may be in the best interest of everyone to listen and not feel personal about it.

I think Indigo had some good thoughts. There is a middle ground. It's just that the general feeling I get is that the balance is toward "don't be critical of others at all." So just keep it in mind: critical thinking is a good thing, even when used on you. Don't take it personally and don't take it seriously. We're all friends here!

Critical thinking has kept me poor,ostracized and lonely.
Sometimes I wish I was a sheeple .

Naw

It's not being Critical that does that. It's being a troll that does that.
Few people like being trolled or hounded. If you don't want to be ostracised, you have to be socially acceptable.

I believe in critical thinking and I use it a lot in my every day life. And it is your right to apply it! I didn't realise you have felt like you haven't the right to do that!

[PAX] but it is also a right to express your deepest feelings and don't be criticized on it. Feelings, in my opinion that can't be called good or wrong, they just are. You can't critical analyse feelings.

You feel you can't apply critical thinking in your every day life, I feel I can't express my deepest feelings in my every day life. They are never understood and accepted, always analysed and concidered "not logicial". This is my place to express them and being understood. So please dont criticize them!!!

I believe there is a time and place for both. Maybe we should honor each others needs and keep critical thinking and feelings seperated with the pug and pax signs ...

:hug:

It's not being Critical that does that. It's being a troll that does that.
Few people like being trolled or hounded. If you don't want to be ostracised, you have to be socially acceptable.
Once again I was talking about real life, and once again you are going on about trolling.
Which was funny the 1st time I heard it.
However it's 180+ plus posts later. I have a growing friend list, more rep power than some people with 2,3,6,10 times more posts .
and general feeling of acceptance. And you think I am feeling ostracized on here?

So tell me, Who is feeling trolled or hounded between you and I?

Trolling can occur in real life as well. When it happens in real life, it's harder to block. It's why you might get ostracised.
You should have used critical thinking.

Trolling can occur in real life as well. When it happens in real life, it's harder to block. It's why you might get ostracised.
You should have used critical thinking.
I see. Well, in real life I got ostracized for not going with the flow and questioning everything that was presented to me. I wouldn't call that trolling,
I would call that using critical thinking.

Reactions: WellNoWonder
If you thought critically about how the others were feeling each time you questioned stuff presented to you, you'd have realised it's better to accept some shit from others, for peaceful relations.

Very few people want antagonistic relations, most are able to accept the dreary monotonous bs and want others to too. It's the basis of society.
Don't want to accept it, it's okay. They'll just remove you from their society.