Correlations between enneagram and MBTI type | INFJ Forum

Correlations between enneagram and MBTI type

TinyBubbles

anarchist
Oct 27, 2009
MBTI
^.^
Enneagram
if you know both your enneagram type and your MBTI type, please post them here. i'm curious about how these two link up, and in the case of major deviations (such as an ISFP being a type 1 for example) WHY they'd deviate.

INTP's i'd guess are mostly 5's

INFJs, 4's maybe?

the other types I have no idea.

ENTP, enneagram type 7

--------------------------------------

Enneagram type thread ---> http://forums.infjs.com/showthread.php?t=113

From The Enneagram Blogspot:

1 - ESTJ, ISTJ, ISFJ, INTJ (also ESFJ, ENTJ, ENFJ, INFJ)

2 - ESFJ, ISFJ, ESFP, ENFJ, ENFP (also INFP)

3 - ENTJ, ENFJ (also ESTJ, ESFJ, INTJ)

4 - INFJ, INFP (also ISFP, ENFP)

5 - INTJ, INTP (also ISTJ, INFP)

6 - ESFJ, ISFJ, ENTJ (also ISFP, ENTP, INTJ, INTP, ENFJ, INFJ)

7 - ESTP, ESFP, ISTP, ENTP, ENFP

8 - ESTJ, ENTJ, INTJ (also ESTP, ENTP)

9 - ISFP, INFP (also ISFJ, ENFP)

But I've seen other type correlations ... and plenty of people who don't fit. I think it's weird they didn't include ENTP in type 3.

ADD:

From http://www.breakoutofthebox.com/flauttrichards.htm:

1 - ISTJ, ESTJ

2 - ESFJ, ENFJ, ISFP, ESFP, ENFP, ISFJ

3 - ENTJ, ENTP

4 - INFP, INFJ

5 - INTP, INTJ, ISTP, ISTJ

6 - ISFJ, ISTJ

7 - ESTP, ENTP, ENFP, ESFP

8 - ESTJ, ENTJ

9 - ISFP, INFP

From http://pstypes.blogspot.com/2009/07/myers-briggs-and-enneagram-type.html:

1 - ISTJ, ENFJ, ENTJ, ISFJ, INFJ, ESTJ, INTJ

2 - ESFJ, ENFJ, ESFP, ENFP, ISFJ, ISFP

3 - ENTP, ESFJ, ESTJ, ENTJ, ENFJ, ESTP, ENFP

4 - INFJ, INFP, ISFP, ENFP

5 - INTP, INTJ, ISTP, INFJ, ISTJ

6 - ISTJ, ESTJ, INFP, ISFJ, ESFJ, ENFP, INTP

7 - ESFP, ENFP, ESTP, ISTP, ENTP

8 - ENTJ, ESTJ, ESTP, ESFP, ENTP, ENFP

9 - ISFP, INFP, ISTP, ESTP, ISFJ

From http://webspace.webring.com/people/cl/lifexplore/typecorr.htm:

1 - ESTJ, ISTJ. ISFJ, INTJ (also ESFJ, ENTJ, ENFJ, INFJ)

1 - INFJ, INTJ, ENTP, ENFJ, ENTJ, ESTJ, ISTJ, ISFJ

2 - ENFP, ISFP, ENFJ, ESFJ, ISTP, ISFJ, ESFP

3 - ENFP, ENTP, ENFJ, ESFJ, ENTJ, ESTJ, ISFJ, ESTP

4 - INFJ, INFP, ISFP, ENFJ

5 - INFJ, INTJ, INTP, ISTP, ISTJ

6 - INFP, ESFJ, INTP, ESTJ, ISTJ, ISFJ

7 - ENFP, ENFJ, INTP, ISTP, ESTP

8 - ENFP, ENTP, ENTJ, ESTJ, ISTJ, ESTP, ESFP

9 - INFP, ISFP, ISTP, ISFJ, ESTP, ESFP

1 - ISTJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ENTJ, INFJ

2 - ESFJ, ENFJ, ESFP, ENFP, ISFP

3 - ESTP, ENTP, ENTJ, ESTJ

4 - INFP, INFJ

5 - INTP, ISTP, INTJ, ISTJ

6 - ISFJ, ESFJ

7 - ESTP, ESFP, ENTP, ENFP

8 - ENTJ, ESTJ, ENTP

9 - ISFP, INFP

Last edited:
ENTP, enneagram type 7

--------------------------------------

Enneagram type thread ---> http://forums.infjs.com/showthread.php?t=113

From The Enneagram Blogspot:

1 - ESTJ, ISTJ, ISFJ, INTJ (also ESFJ, ENTJ ENFJ, INFJ)

But I've seen other type correlations ... and plenty of people who don't fit. I think it's weird they didn't include ENTP in type 3.

oh thanks for that! i thought INFJs would've also tended to be 9's, given their desire for social harmony. and it is quite weird when people don't fit into a predictable MBTI box based on their enneagram type or vice versa, given that the enneagram describes their basic motivations. if motivations aren't what predict their order of cognitive function use, then what, ya know? or maybe people aren't entirely aware of their motivations, or maybe cognitive function preferences aren't as straightforward as we've been led to believe, maybe there's more to it than simple preferences - maybe it's genetic, or expressed differently based on your hobbies or family structure, or whatever.

oh thanks for that! i thought INFJs would've also tended to be 9's, given their desire for social harmony. and it is quite weird when people don't fit into a predictable MBTI box based on their enneagram type or vice versa, given that the enneagram describes their basic motivations. if motivations aren't what predict their order of cognitive function use, then what, ya know? or maybe people aren't entirely aware of their motivations, or maybe cognitive function preferences aren't as straightforward as we've been led to believe, maybe there's more to it than simple preferences - maybe it's genetic, or expressed differently based on your hobbies or family structure, or whatever.

There are a few type 9 INFJs on this forum,
though some of them may be INFPs, ISFPs, and ISFJs mistyping themselves as INFJs ... or INFJs mistyping themselves as 9s.

I wonder if INFJs are less likely to be 9s because the Ni + Fe combo gives them more motivation to find answers. Nines seem to be a bit in-betweeny. Maybe that would bother most INFJs?

Reactions: grt$5vb
I think VH's perspective on the two systems was quite insightful, so I'm posting what he said here. Also, I pretty much agree with him.

From what I've gathered, there are tendencies in Enneagram types and MBTI type, but certainly not rules. Enneagram is based on fears and motivations. MBTI is based on how our minds are wired to process and analyze information. There can be commonality in overlap, but these two things are not inherently connected.

This chart shows the tendencies and population distributions as they were found in one such study on the subject.

View attachment 3269
@all: So apparently thus far it seems that enneagram and MBTI are focusing on different things. Enneagram is due to basic fears and desires, which are likely to develop according to type due to the way each mind works, but really there is no necessary correlation between one and the other. Apparent 'conflicts' would only arise if a person had difficulty meeting her desires due to the natural inclinations caused by type. For example, somebody who has a serious desire to be in control (type 8) might have difficulty meeting that need if their type caused them to not tend to push their own agenda (maybe ISTP?). I pretty much just came up with this from what was said here + further studying of enneagram.
I used to think that was the case, but I think it is more a case of MBTI seems to flavor what our fears, desires, and motivations focus on and how they manifest. For example, an INFJ type 8 would be more focused on controlling their environment via personal interactions and figuring out how things are going to be, while an ESTJ type 8 would be more focused on controlling their environment via delegating tasks to others and the immediate details of the 'real world'. Meanwhile an INTP type 8 would be more focused on controlling their environment via how things work and how they could be improved. So, while an introverted type 8 might be less inclined to 'stand up for themselves' or 'make a ruckus', they could be just as focused on their own personal power... just in the areas that matter most to their perspective, and in those areas could be quite unyielding and domineering. But, that's just how I see it at the moment. I'm still learning this stuff.

Also, it seems that the sexual, self preservation, and social variants are a real factor in connecting the MBTI to Enneagram.

INFJ
Eanneagram type 9

Both fit me very well.

As far as INFJ's go, the most common I have seen is 9's, 5's, 4's and 1's, in that order.

ETA: I am a 1w2

INFJ
5w6 sp/so/sx if i remember correctly.

I have scored 8 on this before. Thought it didn't match me, or ENFP, at all, but now I see at least a couple of sources include 8 as one of the possible ENFP correlations. Hmmmm. Gotta be the extroversion + Te.

I got curious and sifted through the correlations to find the types that made it onto each list ... to discover which mbti types are most representative of the enneagram types:

Most representative of 1 - ESTJ, ISTJ

Most representative of 2 - ESFJ, ESFP, ENFJ, ENFP

Most representative of 3 - ENTJ

Most representative of 4
- INFJ, INFP

Most representative of 5 - INTJ, INTP, ISTJ

Most representative of 6 - ISFJ

Most representative of 7 - ESTP, ENFP

Most representative of 8 - ESTJ, ENTJ

Most representative of 9 - ISFP, INFP

ENTP disappeared! :m033:

infj 5w4 though im working along the path of integration and have been more accepting of my 8ish qualities as of recently to achieve this, so i may not come off as a typical 5.

INTJ Type 1--haven't really noticed a wing. Thought I almost fit an 8 but testing and further reading confirmed 1 (along with the inner critic in my head)

Ah yes, this thread.

Honestly, I think correlations happen due to misunderstanding and mistyping. When I think back to the first time I tested in MBTI, I remember trying to figure out whether I made decisions using my feelings or my thoughts. But really it's about being wired for value-based judgment or logic-based judgment. I'm definitely the latter, and feeling vs. thinking was never the problem to begin with.

The Enneagram? Well, I'm not going to pretend I know, but I sense it's more complex than the descriptions make it seem.

INFJ 4w3.

ESFP and 7w6, wich is most likely the most common for us

ENTP 9w1 sx/sp/so I believe, probably the quietest ENTP you can find.